Opinion on dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Would like your opinion about my problem: "I would like someone's opinion about dogs. I have two dogs,both are old and afraid of strangers. They run to me rath er than barking like they had in hte past when I had a third dog. Being alone at night bothers me cause we have no lights at night. Now I will be alone for several weeks since family are going out of town. Do I get another dog which may bother the two i now have or should I just wait until they all come to an end? One is completely deaf and blind the other blind and has the diabetes. one is 11 the other is 12. Just would like your opinions since I know you are all dog lovers."

My friends have told me it's time to get new ones. I just can't do it when they are still eating and not losing control of their body functions. The one dog could not walk anymore and couldn't make it outside when she had to. Still miss her.

No way would I part with my animals if I were you. They are a part of your family. They may be suffering some effects of aging, but they are enjoying life which means to me that they very much want to be a part of it.

It's so hard to say goodbye to our furry friends even when they are failing and quite ill. Hug your doggies and enjoy many more happy memories with them!

Oh dear, In the Kitchen, what a terrible dilemma. The only thing I can say is look ahead to when the family is back and imagine how you might feel.

Is where you live unsafe? Could you have some lights put up that would sense motion in the dark and come on? Do you think your dogs might take to two young dogs more easily than one? That would mean you'd have an awful lot of dogs, but two youngsters would be less likely to bother your older two if they had each other for company.

:) What about having a friend or two to come stay with you at night.Could be alot of fun like girl party sleep over.You could also fake it by putting up a few Beware Of Dog! signs.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get a new dog, I think it would make them jealous and it would be painful for them. Let them live out their lives and then you can get a new family pet. Just my humble opinion of course.

However, I would put up some outdoor sensor lights or something to make you feel more comfortable and secure.

You could probably introduce a puppy. Puppies have been known to rejuvinate some older dogs and they will either tolerate it or put it in its place, which you must allow them to do so the puppy learns manners around other dogs and not to bother them unless invited.
If you're just wanting to get another dog so you feel "safer", I think you are doing this for the wrong reason. Not unless your family isn't going away for a year, the time it would take a puppy to mature and become territorial. Even then people tend to think their dogs will protect just because they put up a show at the fence or door. There is a big difference between a guard dog (deterrant by looks alone) and a tested protection dog. Most people don't require an actual protection trained dog IMO, but it's nice to know you have one if a potential threat turns real.

Is that all that is wrong with your older dogs? Hips OK, eating, still relieving themselves outdoors (I'm assuming they are inside pets)? Blind dog's eyes aside there is a saying; It is time to release them when the soul goes out of their eyes. If they still have a quality of life and aren't just around for your sake, I don't think it's their time to go yet, IMO, but I don't see their age as a reason not to get a puppy. I would not recommend an older dog with them around though. That would cause them more stress than the puppy.

I just reread your post.... I don't think it is time to let them go yet. Go for it and get a puppy as long as you are doing it for the right reason... companionship and not protection because you will feel alone.

I would introduce a new puppy into the house but not until the family has returned to help train and take care of it. In fact, the older dogs would teach the baby to wee wee outside and such. There's no way in heck I'd put down your dogs until their quality of life was gone. It sounds like everyone is doing fine although they are a little handicapped.

From my experience, the older dogs would put the pup in it's place if they didn't like anything that he did. A few well placed growls and nips will show the pup who's still in charge around there. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thank you all. YOu helped me a bunch. May God bless you and your family also. Dogs are so precious to me and reading that you all feel the same way sure encourages me. I will just keep them until as you say the lights go out and they don't show any emotion anymore. They are accepting their handicaps much better than I would. I just don't know if I lost my sight or hearing how kind I would be. Not these dogs! They are true inspiration. I know they know how I love them. I just hate giving the dog shots everyday. She handles it like a real trooper. In fact, she tells me when it is time for her shot. I look at the clock and sure enough she knew it was time. I will miss these dogs the most cause they have endured so much.

I do live in area with no night lights on street only on lot is there one light. Have motion detectors but on other side of house can't have it. I have neighbors that are different. One guy is bachelor and owns the property and have seen him next to my window couple of times. I am really afraid of him . Neighbors across the street are definitely people who hope for some kind of problem so they can observe. Nothing to do with their own lives like to be busy body in mine. She doesn't cook or work. Goes out every night for supper. If only she had something to do. if my house caught on fire they would b the type who would do no thing but stand and stare. Sorry to talk about them like this but truth.

Thanks for your time and most of all your concern. Guess we will wait till they all come back home again. Last year when we had storms family were gone didn't have to worry even with windows open. The one dog who we put down would be real help by barking when she heard someone or smelled them.

Last edited:
Although you know your two dogs are not able to raise a noise, no-one trying to intrude would know. Would it be any use putting a "Beware of the Dogs" notice outside?

Sorry. I missed the bit about your un neighbourly neighbours. How sad.
It makesx me realise how blessed we are to have simply wonderful neighbours here. Especially so while DH has been ill.

Last edited:
Try It

csalt said:
Although you know your two dogs are not able to raise a noise, no-one trying to intrude would know. Would it be any use putting a "Beware of the Dogs" notice outside?

Would be worth a try. I will go to get one before they go out of town. Hope it works. thanks csalt.

that is REALLY Tough call :(
no seriously, it Really is!

I think in this instance it would be best do what your Heart said rather than Logic.

for Me I think that would entail keeping 2 dogs at all times, which would require that when One passed on, a New member of the family was introduced and the same again when the second one inevitably goes.

getting a PIR Halogen light set up (as mentioned somewhere above) is also a great idea!

true, and you`re right I didn`t, I guess I was too concerned about the ailing dogs.
as Snoop Puss mentions, you could do worse than use one of these babies too :)
it`s TNT technology and Police and Magistrate approved!

I didn't follow the thread link yet, but one suggestion I have for the peeping Tom would be a motion sensor that turns on a sprinkler. They are used to keep dogs (some dogs) out of gardens. I've seen them advertised in various cataloges.

On the Beware of dog sign.... Good deterrent, bad idea. It ackowledges the fact that you think you have a dangerous dog to beware of, whether they are or aren't. It's fodder for BSL and insurance co's.

Hah! Amazing idea/invention, YT!
I take it by mobile phone you mean cell phone, or could a cordless work, too? A lot of times you can buy a base unit and as many satellite stations as you want.

a cordless will work too, but not in a shed/garage or car etc...
it also pre-supposes that the ones breaking "with intent" DON`T cut your phone line 1`st :((((

the fool that that broke into my shed actualy stole my fone/alarm and was running away with it still engaged :)))

yeah I know, TOO FUNNY! :))
and yes, I got that fone back too when they caught him :)

Last edited:
Concerned

it also pre-supposes that the ones breaking "with intent" DON`T cut your phone line 1`st :((((

the fool that that broke into my shed actualy stole my fone/alarm and was running away with it still engaged :)))

Last edited by YT2095 : Today at 01:17 PM.

YT2095, you have been through your share haven't you? It is funny but not when it is you! So sorry and thanks for your thoughts about my dogs.

pecanis that is something I will have to check. I asked this locksmith about burglar alarm put on my lights and he said wouldn't be possible as it would bother too many people. A sprinkler probably is the best idea yet. Have to check the gardening line about that.

I knew you people would understand. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. My dogs will appreciate all your help too. I know you would all be friends with them. They just don't like the guy who runs around here at night. I don't think he knows that the one can't see. Between the two they seem to manage okay. Still act happy when I come back home. Otherwise they would not show any emotion. Thanks again

IIRC, their sense of Smell is something like 18 TIMES more acute than ours, eyes and ears for them is almost secondary :)

besides, and I don`t care how "unscientific" it sounds, I think they also have a `sense` that some people don`t too.

Concerned

Last edited by YT2095 : Today at 01:17 PM.

YT2095, you have been through your share haven't you? It is funny but not when it is you! So sorry and thanks for your thoughts about my dogs.

pecanis that is something I will have to check. I asked this locksmith about burglar alarm put on my lights and he said wouldn't be possible as it would bother too many people. A sprinkler probably is the best idea yet. Have to check the gardening line about that.

I knew you people would understand. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. My dogs will appreciate all your help too. I know you would all be friends with them. They just don't like the guy who runs around here at night. I don't think he knows that the one can't see. Between the two they seem to manage okay. Still act happy when I come back home. Otherwise they would not show any emotion. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom