Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FF - I am so sorry. We went through that with our little Joie.

Steve - How horrible for you to see. That poor animal and the people who loved it.

PF - Congrats! Black cats are the best! Monkey I am sure is happy you are giving one a good home!

Speaking of Monkey, she is very upset...it is pouring rain so she can't go investigate the neighbourhood because it would mean getting wet. Poor baby! ;)

FF....I'm sorry to hear about your sweet little Sophie. That's hard to deal with. :(

RB, glad Harley got a good bill of health! Yes, vets are spendy, but whatcha gonna do....last year my Blackee was bitten by another cat and it got infected. The vet bill was almost $600, but he had to stay overnight after surgery, a drain put in, meds, etc.

Princess...what darling little kitties!

Steve, I'd be traumatized for quite a while after seeing that...:(

My Blackee kitty has been with me for 15 years, he was a tiny little 6 wk old rescue when he adopted me. ;):) He's doing really well for his age, I'm hoping he has a good several more years left in him.

Thank you, everyone. She's doing ok. Went to the vet and they wanted to run all kinds of tests. I said, "And, what would that do?" Answer, "Well, it would let us know if she's more anemic this week than last week. Then, we could do a blood transfusion if need be. Or, if it's her spleen, we could do surgery and....." I stopped her. I said, "She's 12, how much time would that give her? Life expectancy is 12-15 years. And, what would the quality of her life be?" Answer, "Oh, so you wouldn't do surgery? And quite honestly, we don't know how long that would give her." Ridiculous! I'm not putting her through all that for what a couple of months? A year? They can't fix her liver, they can't fix her arthritis so those things would still be hurting her regardless. I finally convinced her to give Sophie something for the arthritis pain, which she did....hoping it relieves it the inflammation enough so she can walk comfortably.
Keeping my fingers crossed!

Arwen and Stider being couch potatoes, along with Mommy.

37240-albums1008-picture6271.jpg

37240-albums1008-picture6270.jpg

Today we took our new shelter dog for his first visit at the groomers. 5 minutes after we left she called us and told us to come get our dog. Instead of a Terrier, he has turned out to be a Terror! She said he totally flipped out and she couldn't handle him. She has been our groomer for 34 years with 5 other dogs. She recommended another groomer who is known to be good with problem dogs. We stopped in there and made an appointment for tomorrow at noon. They practically guaranteed that they would be able to groom him. I'm not holding my breath, but I will give them a chance. They seem to be our only hope.

Gee Carol, could it be separation anxiety? Or he could have had a bad experience with a previous groomer. I hope the new one is what you need.

My apartment is in an alcove. There are five apartments here in our own little corner. Every time one of the tenants comes up the ramp to go into their apartment, Teddy races to the door and barks like crazy. Last night after playing Bingo, two of the tenants were coming up the ramp to go into their apartments. Teddy started to bark like crazy as he always does. I heard one of the ladies saying, "Good Night Teddy." Teddy thinks he is Napoleon and is just trying to protect me and Spike. :angel:

Bummer, Carol. Some groomers use muzzles and harnesses for their more, um, difficult clients. Good luck!

Super sweet pugs, Medtran!

Last edited:
Terriers *are* terrors - hence the name :mrgreen:

My neighbor's dogs used to bark at us when we went out into the backyard. A few squirts with the water hose and he started training them not to do that. They're not protecting you. Their instinct is to hunt, so they're reacting to the fact that there's noise over there.

We used to dogsit a friend's Jack Russell. Even though he was up there in years, he reigned supreme over my two cockers and dalmation.

My in-laws have two cairn terriers. We visited them over the Fourth of July weekend. They live on a lake surrounded by summer houses that are filled on the weekends; it's quieter during the week. The fireworks set off over the lake by residents went from 8 p.m. till midnight. The dogs went nuts, barking constantly, and my in-laws yelled at them to stop. I told DH we cannot visit again over the holiday weekend. I will go insane.

Dawgluver, the problem escalated when she tried to put the muzzle on him. He was a perfect gentleman at the vet, and they were sticking things here, there and everywhere. Perfect behavior. He is fine when we take him to other people's homes, but is very defensive when people come to our house.

This new groomer said I have the option to stay with him, and that might help. It helps when we bathe him. I pet him and talk to him while DH does the bathing. No problem. If this groomer is successful in grooming him, I promise to brush him every day!!

The dog grooming went well. He was a little nervous and jumpy, tried to bite the bather, but it seems that he just didn't like the other groomer. These people were very gentle with him. So now we have a new groomer!

The dog grooming went well. He was a little nervous and jumpy, tried to bite the bather, but it seems that he just didn't like the other groomer. These people were very gentle with him. So now we have a new groomer!

So glad to hear that it went so well for all of you. :angel: One for him. His angel was looking down on him when you found him. Give him a big hug from me. He deserves it. :angel:

Dogs are funny people. They have their preferences, as we all do!

Glad you found a preferred groomer, Carol!

We're lucky with Beagle, she loves all the human people around us, and is very well behaved at the vet. She picks and chooses among the dogs though. Females her size or smaller are usually fine, as are big males she knew as puppies. There's a neighborhood weimeraner who tries to ambush her, we had to tell the owners to keep her leashed instead of letting her roam free.

Last edited:
We have folks in the next subdivision where we walk. They have a little two pound poodle-like dog that they leave out all the time, even though it's pretty cold here now. DH said he saw they stuck her in a kennel outside when he was walking Beagle tonight.

I am so tempted to put her in my pocket if I see her stuck in the kennel, or call the Humane Society on them.

Last edited:
We have folks in the next subdivision where we walk. They have a little two pound poodle-like dog that they leave out all the time, even though it's pretty cold here now. DH said he saw they stuck her in a kennel outside when he was walking Beagle tonight.

I am so tempted to put her in my pocket if I see her stuck in the kennel, or call the Humane Society on them.

Don't hesitate if they continue to put her outside for long periods in the cold. Sounds like they need a wakeup call. :angel:

Rusty had to have surgery today. When he kept biting his butt we thought it was because of the tangled hair that was irritating him. The biting continued after the hair cut and then he started scooting. Took him to the vet today and his anal glands were ruptured and he needed surgery. While doing the surgery, out of his butt came a tape worm, so getting treated for them now, too. He had worms in the shelter and was treated for them. When we took him to the vet the did a follow-up check and it was good. So I don't understand why he has them again, unless they were not completely gone to begin with. It is good that he was rescued by someone who has a nice high limit on her credit card! LOL

Back
Top Bottom