Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pac, Kimber is a beauty. I'm sorry I missed the pics earlier. She appears to be a great addition to the family. She'll fit right in with Pierce and Petra.

I miss having a dog.

Condo rules, no pets?

Max pet size is 30 pounds. They're not allowed to run free or be left out on a leash. I don't see me walking the dog in 10ºF weather with a 30 mph wind and picking up his poop.

I hear you. However, there's nothing to walking, we have similar weather, only colder. Just bundle up. Beagle is 23 pounds, can hold it for a long time, and we have to walk her on a leash, as she can find any weakness in any fence and could be nicknamed "Houdini".

Beagles are much more "macho" than, say, Yorkies or poodles. MinPins, schnauzers, and chihuahuas are slightly macho, but I would highly recommend a beagle.

Thanks, Andy. She has fit right in all right. She and Pierce have become great playmates.

Pac, Kimber is a beauty. I'm sorry I missed the pics earlier. She appears to be a great addition to the family. She'll fit right in with Pierce and Petra.

I miss having a dog.

Andy, the powers that be know that having a pet is very beneficial to the elderly. We have three apartments here that have a dog. One has two. You would never know it. Occasionally one might bark in the hall, but one quick bark is not a disturbance to anyone. Too bad condo association haven't found out this fact. Pets are beneficial to anyone. :angel:

I hear you. However, there's nothing to walking, we have similar weather, only colder. Just bundle up. Beagle is 23 pounds, can hold it for a long time, and we have to walk her on a leash, as she can find any weakness in any fence and could be nicknamed "Houdini".

Beagles are much more "macho" than, say, Yorkies or poodles. MinPins, schnauzers, and chihuahuas are slightly macho, but I would highly recommend a beagle.
Many years ago I "acquired" (long story) a German Shepherd. She was a sweetheart and, although rather petite, she looked the part but as we had no history on her the Vet said that, although he was certain she was a pure bred GSD, he would have to put her down on her records as "GSD X". In passing he said that he hoped for my sake that, if she was a crossbreed, a beagle wasn't one of her parents. When I asked why he said that as pets rather than hunting dogs, they were virtually un-trainable!

I've never heard this before or since although a local man walks (or is walked by) a pet beagle which has no manners at all. Mind you that could be the fault of master not dog.

Are they difficult to train as pets?

Last edited:
Many years ago I "acquired" (long story) a German Shepherd. She was a sweetheart and, although rather petite, she looked the part but as we had no history on her the Vet said that, although he was certain she was a pure bred GSD, he would have to put her down on her records as "GSD X". In passing he said that he hoped for my sake that, if she was a crossbreed, a beagle wasn't one of her parents. When I asked why he said that as pets rather than hunting dogs, they were virtually un-trainable!

I've never heard this before or since although a local man walks (or is walked by) a pet beagle which has no manners at all. Mind you that could be the fault of master not dog.

Are they difficult to train as pets?

I don't think they're difficult to train. We got Beagle from the pound, when she was about 3. In the house, she's a perfect lady, and can obey basic commands (sit, stay, shake). Outside, if left to her own devices, she would chase bunnies till she got completely lost, which is why we walk her on a retractable leash and harness. She does pretty well on leash, better than a lot of the neighbor dogs. Beagles were bred to hunt rabbits, and get really focused on that.

Sadly, because of their sweet, docile nature, beagles are also the most used and abused dogs for laboratory experiments.

Last edited:
2 of my 3 fuzzies :)

Attachments

• image-2007140726.jpg
    image-2007140726.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 150
  • image-1662418056.jpg
    image-1662418056.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 143
Yes they are. What are their names?

The grey and white is Big Cat (original I know) and the tabby is Dippy. I got a picture of my other one, and her name is Domino. The other 2 are males. Big Cat and Domino are 7, and Dippy is 4

Attachments

• image-4189539142.jpg
    image-4189539142.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 151
The grey and white is Big Cat (original I know) and the tabby is Dippy. I got a picture of my other one, and her name is Domino. The other 2 are males. Big Cat and Domino are 7, and Dippy is 4
Domino looks like she has lots of personality - the expression on her face. :)

Tonight when Spike came, Teddy was so hyper. He immediately jumped up on my bed when he came in the door and started to bark. I didn't get to the bed fast enough to give him his screetchies. I sat down and before I could even get my hand up, he started to licking my arm. When he got that all washed, he jumped up on my back and wanted to continue on my neck and hair. I tried to get him to sit down and he was just determined to continue to give me my bath. For the whole three hours he was here, he kept giving out little barks. He wouldn't mind me or Spike. Finally Spike stood up and picked up the leash. Teddy went absolutely ballistic. Spike had him out for more than an hour before finally coming here. So it wasn't a matter that he had to "go."

We have never seen him like that. I can't help wonder if he ate something on his walk and Spike didn't catch it. He is always stopping to investigate a dead pigeon, squirrel or any other dead thing he comes across. Spike immediately stops him as he knows sometimes folks will poison these critters. I swear Teddy was high on an overdose of coffee. :angel:

I caught two of my furballs sleeping in a sun spot yesterday. Bella, short for Belladonna, on the left, and the 18-year-old Elwing on the right.

ForumRunner_20131126_143644.jpg

Sweet pic of the kitties.

I need to get some more pics of my little nutball. She's hitting that tall lanky stage already.

Back
Top Bottom