Oven Fries (technique question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ultimate oven fries

This sounds complicated but is very easy. I got the recipe out of Cooks Illustrated.
3 russet potatoes peeled and cut into even lengthwise wedges
5 Tbsp veg. or peanut oil
salt and ground pepper

1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven 475 degrees.
Place potatoes in a large bowl and cover with hot tap water for 10 minutes. Meanwhile take a HEAVY DUTY rimmed baking sheet and coat evenly with 4 of the Tbsp of oil. Sprinkle evenly with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
2. Drain potatoes and spread out onto 3 layers of paper towels and thoroughly pat dry with additional paper towels. Rinse and wipe your bowl dry. Put potatoes back into bowl and toss with the 1 Tbsp of oil. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet. Cover tightly with foil and bake 5 mins. Remove foil and bake until bottom of potatoes are spotty and golden, 15 to 20 mins., rotating baking sheet after 10 mins. Using metal spatula and tongs turn potatoes and keep in a single layer. Continue baking until fries are golden and crisp, 5 to 15 mins. longer turning baking sheet if they are browning unevenly.
3. Transfer fries to a second baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Note: I am sure if you have a larger baking sheet and need to make more potatoes this will be fine. The heavy duty baking sheet prevents the sheet from warping during baking. You may also use a non stick baking sheet as long as it is still heavy duty. It makes the fries brown better. The soaking in hot water removes some of the surface sugars. Also potato starches gelatinize completly during cooking and the water soaking improves the creaminess and smoothness by working its way between the strands of gelatin starch. So it makes a good surface crunch with a smooth interior.
I hope you enjoy them! :chef:

Crispy Baked Potato Wedges Recipe courtesy Michael ChiarelloSee this recipe on air Sunday Jul. 10 at 1:00 PM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
User Rating: No Rating

5 Idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced into long wedges
Olive oil
BBQ spice mixture
Salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place the potato wedges in a saucepan with 2 quarts of cold salted water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for approximately 5 minutes, or until a knife pierces through easily. Drain. In a large bowl, toss the wedges with olive oil. Place the BBQ spice and salt in a shallow dish and roll the wedges in it. Place the wedges on a sheet pan in single layer and roast for 15 to 20 minutes until crispy.

Episode#: MO0409
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_30863_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html
I've had great results with this recipe

Good luck EXPAT

Last edited:
So far, I think your recipe & the Cooks Illustrated are the only two that include par-cooking, which I think, for me, seeing as how my potatoes are often not all cooked through, would work. Thanks again for all these tips! It's been really fun to read them, and my little brain is attempting to take it all in!

To change the subject - how about just roast potatoes? My aunt had a cook who made the most divine roast potatoes. They had a crispy outside and were always so nice and brown. She would not divulge her secret. I only occasionally achieve roast potatoe nirvana - but mine have never had the crispy coating on the outside (what did she put on them?) I saw a Jamie Oliver show once where he made roast chicken and roast potatoes for a bunch of working guys (electricians), and I JUST MISSED where he explained his special roast potatoe trick (I know it involved par-boiling, but, what next?). I looked up the episode on the Food Network website, and DARN if they never ever posted that one! Sandyj

TomW - glad you tried the egg wash on wedges - we've only done thin sticks with a Cajun-style spice. I should soak them in water ahead of time, but we never have.

Kitchenelf - yes! to burned popcorn - it is wonderful. (Don't try this in an office, though, cause people really gripe about that smell!)

I think just about any way potatoes are cooked, they're soooo good. I'm particularly fond of potato skins with ALL the potato removed, baked to a hard crisp with cheeses bubbling all over.

I'm going to move a few of these recipes to their own post. Even though they are about potatoes they are a tad off topic from the original question about oven-baked fries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom