Pan frying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Trying to fry breaded "cutlets", pork Schnitzel, beef Chicken Fried Steak, chicken usually a pounded thin thigh..

when I put into the pan they quickly "stick", so I figured, leave it until it "releases" , then check the bottom color, and then flip..

the cutlets then "stick" again, when they release, and are brown, they are done?

but I keep "burning" them, not bad, but too "dark" for my taste..

Too high heat? maybe a thicker skillet? mine is quite thin stainless..

Thanks,
Eric, Austin Tx.

Try a heavier skillet, hot pan, cold oil.... What type of oil are you using?

Its because you are using a thin stainless steel pan.Use a heavy pan,heat it,then put in oil,heat it a bit too,and then fry whatever u want to fry.
I dont think it has anything to do with the type of oil.Its the pan!!!

Which is why I started my response with, "Try a heavier skillet." Then I noticed there was no mention of even using oil...

i cant say that for everyone,but my personal experience is ,stainless steel is never good for pan frying.Although its quite ok for deep frying.

1/4" of "vegetable oil"

time to drag out my old cast iron skillet, don't know why I don't use it more often...

I usually heat pan, then add oil, but I don't wait too long, because it's hard to tell how hot the oil is, and I always figure I can just turn up the heat if it's not "frying"..

is it Not supposed to "stick" to the pan like that?

Thx. Eric.

Obviously we sometimes aren't quite at one with our heat source
and pan so I use a thicker frying pan and rather than allow the
battered meat to stick, I' will scoop it up and flip it repeatedly
until I'm sure I'm getting the correct affect before i turn down
the heat and let it cook more slowly, thouroughly... another
thing too is I've learned to prevent excess moisture on the
meat by allowing the floured meats sit a while before it's
introduction to the hot oil...You might look at any batter
related issues in your resolve...Too wet? oil too hot?=stick &
burn...I never, never walk off and leave something frying in
a pan...........................................................................BH51..

Heavier pan, and try waiting for the oil to heat up. If you don't have a thermometer, stick the handle of a wooden spoon in the hot oil, it should emit tiny bubbles around the wood. Or take a cube of bread and toss it in.
It should start frying as soon as it hits the oil. And, yes, use that cast iron!!!
and, btw, not everything is "understood," especially in this forum. I was just trying to be helpful, and your "No offence" doesn't make your comment towards me less offensive. I found it rather sarcastic and rude.

Heavy hot pan and hot oil are a must. Test the oil to ensure it's hot by dropping in a crumb of the coating. Bubbles should form around it immediately and it should begin to brown.

It also helps if you let the breaded pieces sit for about 30 minutes. That helps ensure the coating stays on the meat.

Try a little deeper oil in the pan.

Then, add the pieces without crowding the pan and cook until golden brown then flip and cook. Don't hesitate to cook the meat in batches rather than crowd the pan. Crowding causes the temp of the oil to drop and the food will stick.

It should start frying as soon as it hits the oil. And, yes, use that cast iron!!!
and, btw, not everything is "understood," especially in this forum. I was just trying to be helpful, and your "No offence" doesn't make your comment towards me less offensive. I found it rather sarcastic and rude.

When i said "no offence" i totally meant it,but anyways i'm sorry if it offended you!i didnt mean to be sarcastic or rude at all!

whenever I want to fry something breaded, I frequently go into Easy Mode. :) that basically means I whip out the pan with the nonstick surface, just so I don't have t odeal with using too much oil. In my opinion, stainless steel is amazing when you want to have bits left over for deglazing, such as to make a sauce or gravy. if I'm going to cook something breaded, I'll bake it or pan fry it in a teflon pan.

the advice about the heavier skillet is also spot on. I own a set of tri-ply all-clad pans and love em. just wish I could afford the five ply ones. lol.

Back
Top Bottom