Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will try them on the blue buffalo, dry is so much cheaper than canned. Smudge won't eat "people" food. I've tried to get her interested in chicken, but it's just not happening. Latté on the other hand thinks that I eat should be fit for cats...she inspects everything I eat. About went nuts over the liver last night.

Poor Smudge! I do not blame her for not wishing to be poked. I hope you can find a way to handle her shots so she is not so upset.

Poor PF also! I will think of you and Smudge.

With love,
~Cat

We've got a sick kitty right now. :( She'll eat, she'll get her water, and then about five or ten minutes later she makes this plaintive "mrow-mroooooowwwww" and then heave. And heave. When she was sick like this 3+ years ago she got to the point of heaving just bile really quickly. :cry:

After repeated tests, staying at the vet's for four nights, and over $1000 in costs they found...nothing. They also suggested that we get an ultrasound from some travelling ultrasound tech right away since they were in the area about every week-week and a half. Minimum of $375. The vet's reasoning? "We really should have more tests and meds because we didn't know but what it is might be serious."

I took her home with a special canned food (she refused to eat) and a bunch of pre-loaded syringes with pain meds, along with instructions to give her a dose every four hours. She was so limp when I brought her home I figured I'd better follow instructions. I did give her one dose of the pain meds per instruction, but it didn't seem she was experiencing any pain. :huh: Well I let my Momsense take over. No more pain meds, giving her liquified versions of her own canned cat food by syringe to make sure she was eating, and making sure she also had enough water via syringe. Within two days she was back to normal! Haven't had a problem until today, more than three years later.

We're operating under the assumption that she must have caught some sort of bug...and it found her again. Both Himself and I had been sick within the past week or so, I guess it's possible she got something somehow from us.

I've given her two little serving of softened food in her dish over the past half hour or so. She ate each of them and got her own water from her bowl. So far both little servings have stayed down and she seems OK. Everybody keep your fingers crossed that this passes because spending $1000+ for medical attention for "maybe it's...." seems unlikely right now...

Oh, CG, {{{{hugs}}}} for you, Himself, and Kitty! We had a similar problem with Beagle. They couldn't find anything wrong either after pouring all sorts of money out for tests. Sometimes Momsense is better than Vetsense.

Hope Kitty gets better soon!

Last edited:
Oh no CG! (((Hugs to you))) and (((gentle hugs to kitty))) and extra scritches. I sure hope it's just something like a bad cold or tummy flu and that she feels better very soon.

Oh bummer CG :(

Use the Momsense but keep a close eye and take to vet when you know it's time.

FWIW cats and dogs don't catch things like colds and flu from humans.

Good luck with Kitty and keep us posted !

Last edited:
LittleBit Update

So far, so good. After her last barf-fest (just before my previous post) I took all her food away so she didn't have the chance to hork-and-hurl. Haven't given her the dry food since. However, I have been feeding her micromeals of just the canned food blended with filtered water, decreasing the water-to-food ratio to the point where her next small serving should be just the canned food. If she responds well I'll head to bed. So far she doesn't seem to object to the tiny, infrequent portions. Hopefully whatever is in her system (and I know it wasn't our germs MrsL ;) ) is working its way out and she'll be fine in the morning. At least she seems to be the same generally as normal. She's a pretty lazy cat to begin with, so no telling if her lethargy is normal or illness-related! :LOL:

Just like last time, I checked our plants - no bit marks or anything. Not much she can get into unless she found something strange on the basement floor. :ermm:

Fingers crossed, it will be an uneventful night. Himself has to be up by 8:30 to get to his state-required pep-talk because he's still on unemployment. Better him than me. ;)

It must have been hork day for cats...Latté puled that yesterday, too, soon after she ate the canned food.

I managed to get insulin into Smudge last night, as long as I don't hold her down I can pinch and shoot into her flank.

Attachments

• baby harp seal 001.JPG
    baby harp seal 001.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 33
  • baby harp seal 004.JPG
    baby harp seal 004.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 35
  • baby harp seal 006.JPG
    baby harp seal 006.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 35
CG, I'll keep my fingers crossed that your kitty is on the mend.

PF, glad to read that you got the insulin into Smudge. I hope this technique continues to work with her.

PF, what a pretty lady. Her colours are gorgeous and unusual. I nearly missed the pix. I closed this tab and as it was closing, I thought I saw something, so I opened it again. You had posted the pix while I was typing a reply.

She's Chocolate Point Siamese and I believe tabby. Her tabby markings were more prominent when she was a kitten and much lighter. She looked like a cup of coffee as you were stirring in cream.

Shrek must have her baby pics on his computer.

She's Chocolate Point Siamese and I believe tabby. Her tabby markings were more prominent when she was a kitten and much lighter. She looked like a cup of coffee as you were stirring in cream.

Shrek must have her baby pics on his computer.
Ooh, baby kitty pix. I wanna see.

How's your kitty doing today CG?

Shreddy is sitting next to me with his paw on my arm. (aww)

Earlier today, I saw a squirrel in the backyard, so I put some walnuts right next to the patio door. I put the rest of the walnuts on the bookshelf, where they would be handy for squirrel feeding. Shreddy was watching. He saw the squirrel come to the patio door. Later on I saw Shreddy checking out the bookshelf. I think he was looking for the walnuts, so he could tempt a squirrel to come to the patio door.

I subscribe to Beagle Freedom Project, an organization that rescues beagles from medical testing labs. While this is not my beagle (Beagle's legs are much shorter!) I loved this pic. Boo is a different kind of hound, (a Harrier?) but looks beagle-like, and was a medical experiment dog too, enjoying her first taste of freedom:

image-1226408164.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom