Pouring fudge dilemma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlowCook66

Cook
Hi,

The result of my fudge is very tasty!

I mix the fudge very very little while it’s cooking.

After boiling my fudge to 116C, I let it cool down without mixing it to 110C.

Then I mix it with a egg beater for about 30s. I can’t mix it more than that because then it becomes too hard and won’t pour into my candy molds.

The problem is that I end up with grainy fudge where you can taste the sugar crystals 🤷🏻‍♂️. It’s like as if the sugar hasn’t completely dissolved from the get go.

I read somewhere that the sugar must dissolve completely before adding all the other ingredients.

BUT HOW???

How do we know when the sugar is completely dissolved in the pot? What degrees does the sugar need to attain to know that it’s completely dissolved ?

Thanks for all help !

I'm not clear on how this works. Aren't you putting some ingredients in the pot with the sugar from the get go? Can't you see if the sugar is completely dissolved? What other ingredients are in the pot with the sugar at the beginning? Or, is it just the sugar melting, like when you caramelize sugar?

I don't think there is a specific temperature where sugar dissolves in liquid. It's a matter of time AND temperature. When I make simple syrup, I usually just put the sugar in with the water and wait for it to dissolve. Yes, I know most recipes have you heat the water, but I prefer my method when I'm not in a hurry.

I'm not clear on how this works. Aren't you putting some ingredients in the pot with the sugar from the get go? Can't you see if the sugar is completely dissolved? What other ingredients are in the pot with the sugar at the beginning? Or, is it just the sugar melting, like when you caramelize sugar?

I don't think there is a specific temperature where sugar dissolves in liquid. It's a matter of time AND temperature. When I make simple syrup, I usually just put the sugar in with the water and wait for it to dissolve. Yes, I know most recipes have you heat the water, but I prefer my method when I'm not in a hurry.
Hi tax lady thanks for replying!

Yes I put my sugar in a pot along with the butter and milk and everything gets melted of course. But then the fudge comes out grainy like you feel the sugar on your pallet, then it’s been said that the reason for this is that the sugar wasn’t completely dissolved (melted) initially.

Straight from Google:
=============
From this study, the melting points of each type of sugar were found to be 368.7°F (white sugar), 340.0°F (brown sugar), 350.0°F (icing sugar), and 306.7°F (coconut sugar).Apr 18, 2021
===============

So when Insee sugar completely melted at 100C, does it mean it’s completely dissolved or do I have to take the temperature of the sugar up to 300 C ???

Confused !

Hi tax lady thanks for replying!

Yes I put my sugar in a pot along with the butter and milk and everything gets melted of course. But then the fudge comes out grainy like you feel the sugar on your pallet, then it’s been said that the reason for this is that the sugar wasn’t completely dissolved (melted)
I have only used a recipe for fudge that didn't melt the butter with the sugar and milk or cream. The butter was added to the top of the fudge, once it came off the heat. There were other details I don't remember.

initially.

Straight from Google:
=============
From this study, the melting points of each type of sugar were found to be 368.7°F (white sugar), 340.0°F (brown sugar), 350.0°F (icing sugar), and 306.7°F (coconut sugar).Apr 18, 2021
===============

So when Insee sugar completely melted at 100C, does it mean it’s completely dissolved or do I have to take the temperature of the sugar up to 300 C ???

Confused !
Those temperatures are for melting sugars, not temperatures for dissolving them. If the sugar is fully dissolved, you just have to keep simmering the mixture until the target temperature. Here's a link to a recipe that looks virtually identical to what I have used. It also has some good tips and some science.

I have only used a recipe for fudge that didn't melt the butter with the sugar and milk or cream. The butter was added to the top of the fudge, once it came off the heat. There were other details I don't remember.

Those temperatures are for melting sugars, not temperatures for dissolving them. If the sugar is fully dissolved, you just have to keep simmering the mixture until the target temperature. Here's a link to a recipe that looks virtually identical to what I have used. It also has some good tips and some science.

Ok ok ok so what’s the difference between melting sugar vs dissolving sugar ?? 😱

I thank you for your link.

So it says to beat the fudge until it loses its shine. If I do that then I can’t pour it in my molds because it becomes too hard. Now, would I have the same problem if I boil the fugde to 112 C and then Mix it until it loses its shine making it possible to pour in my molds ? And will this give me soft fudge or hard fudge? I want hard fudge! So you see it’s. Not as simple as we all think.

I thank you for your link.

So it says to beat the fudge until it loses its shine. If I do that then I can’t pour it in my molds because it becomes too hard. Now, would I have the same problem if I boil the fugde to 112 C and then Mix it until it loses its shine making it possible to pour in my molds ? And will this give me soft fudge or hard fudge? I want hard fudge! So you see it’s. Not as simple as we all think.
I have no idea. I'm not clear on what you mean by hard and soft fudge. I think I would need to feel a piece to understand.

It's a long time since I thought that fudge was simple. The first few tries were perfect. But, since then, I have made fudge that was crunchy with sugar crystals and I have made fudge that was very smooth and almost taffy-like, as well as occasionally perfect. While I really like fudge, I am seldom motivated to make it.

I have no idea. I'm not clear on what you mean by hard and soft fudge. I think I would need to feel a piece to understand.

It's a long time since I thought that fudge was simple. The first few tries were perfect. But, since then, I have made fudge that was crunchy with sugar crystals and I have made fudge that was very smooth and almost taffy-like, as well as occasionally perfect. While I really like fudge, I am seldom motivated to make it.
yeah I see.

So what’s the difference between melting sugar and dissolving it ?

Melting sugar is like caramelizing it. You put it in the pan with nothing else and turn on the heat. The heat of the pan will make the sugar melt. White sugar will start to brown. It will be molten. Dissolving sugar is to have the crystals dissolve in a liquid. Heat will speed up that process, but isn't required. E.g., when you stir a spoonful of sugar into a hot cup of tea or coffee, it dissolves. It takes longer when the tea or coffee is less hot. When you dissolve sugar into an opaque, hot liquid, like milk, you can stir and pull the spoon out with a small amount of the liquid to see if the crystals have dissolved. There generally is no Maillard browning when dissolving sugar in liquid.

Melting sugar is like caramelizing it. You put it in the pan with nothing else and turn on the heat. The heat of the pan will make the sugar melt. White sugar will start to brown. It will be molten. Dissolving sugar is to have the crystals dissolve in a liquid. Heat will speed up that process, but isn't required. E.g., when you stir a spoonful of sugar into a hot cup of tea or coffee, it dissolves. It takes longer when the tea or coffee is less hot. When you dissolve sugar into an opaque, hot liquid, like milk, you can stir and pull the spoon out with a small amount of the liquid to see if the crystals have dissolved. There generally is no Maillard browning when dissolving sugar in liquid.
Thanks for your explaination.

So if I put my sugar in the pot with my dairy like milk and butter and bring it to a boil, then I’ve dissolved the sugar right? Also, most articles like yours say not to stir the mixture once it boils. But if I have to bring the sugar to boiling point so it dissolves itself and then stir in the coco powder, then I am stiring🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ I have no choice to stir??? Or else how will I add the cocoa powder??? So they’re saying to not stir, BUT we jave to stir ???? Confused ? Sorry for all the questions ! Thanks

Thanks for your explaination.

So if I put my sugar in the pot with my dairy like milk and butter and bring it to a boil, then I’ve dissolved the sugar right? Also, most articles like yours say not to stir the mixture once it boils. But if I have to bring the sugar to boiling point so it dissolves itself and then stir in the coco powder, then I am stiring🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ I have no choice to stir??? Or else how will I add the cocoa powder??? So they’re saying to not stir, BUT we jave to stir ???? Confused ? Sorry for all the questions ! Thanks
I wouldn't put the butter in at the beginning. I would put the sugar, milk, and any salt in the pot and heat it gently. If it takes longer before it boils, it gives the sugar longer to dissolve.

It's fine to stir it until it starts boiling. I imagine it's okay to stir for a very short while after it starts boiling.

I have to wonder if putting the butter in before the sugar is dissolved would slow down the sugar dissolving. You don't usually add oily ingredients, while you are trying to dissolve something in water (or the water in the milk).

Last edited:
Thanks for replying!

Ok let me try to put the butter at the end.

So:

Sugar
Evaporated milk
Cocoa powder
Spices
>Mix until it boils
>When 214C let cool down to 110C
Add butter and oil extracts and mix for 4 min and pour in molds

* I’ll let you know how this pans out 😊

Thanks

You do know that the only way to get the full approval of the panel is when they test the pieces. taxy is the lead tester, I'm her second and all the others can just fight for a place.

Thanks for replying!

Ok let me try to put the butter at the end.

So:

Sugar
Evaporated milk
Cocoa powder
Spices
>Mix until it boils
>When 214C let cool down to 110C
Add butter and oil extracts and mix for 4 min and pour in molds

* I’ll let you know how this pans out 😊

Thanks
Ok so I’ve done the batch according to our discussions so I’ll know only in 3 hours.

In the meantime

I am trying to make a special fudge where it’s not too soft not too chard not too crumbly satisfying bite (not the one where your teeth sink right into the fudge effortlessly) with a fantastic taste. I’ve done about 150 runs and still can’t get a perfect fudge 🫤

So if I may, let me ask some
Questions:

1. Is the final product of fudge meant to be poured in moulds or just put in a large pan as one big clump?
  2. After we poured our fudge in the pan or molds, do we wrap the fudge or not?
  3. After we poured our fudge in the pan or molds so it sets do we put it in the fridge or we leave it out in room temperature?
  4. Once the fudge is cooked to 114-116C how long do we let it cool for or what temperature do we let it cool to? Should we mix the fudge during this time or not?
  5. After the fudge is cooled can we add butter and oil extracts and mix it?
  6. Do we absolutely need to knead the fudge after question #5?
  7. Does it make a difference in the taste and composition if the fudge is heated to 114C in 20 min or if it’s heated to 114C in 5min?
  8. After the fudge is poured in the pan or molds should we leave it out at room temperature for 30min to cool down and then put it in the fridge OR do we simply put it in fridge right away OR forget the fridge altogether ?
  9. Is it bad if fudge is a little crumbly inside but very good tasting?
  10. Do extract oils that we add (like for example Vanilla oils) do they soften the end result of the fudge or is it insignificant? I put combination of oils totaling a table spoon or so.

The reason why I’m asking these basic questions is because I read read read and everyone has their own way to make some version of the fudge they think is the best but are teaching contradictory things to other rules of making fudge 🫤

Thanks

I remember putting the entire pot into ice water to help the fudge cool more quickly. I don't remember temperature. The butter and vanilla went on top of the fudge once the pot was in the ice water bath, not after it was cooled. I don't remember how cool it was supposed to get. I think it was when the pot was hand warm. There was that whole business about glossy or not that is mentioned in the link I shared.

It's probably 30 years or so, since the last time I made fudge. I always poured the fudge into a buttered 8"x8" baking pan. Once completely cooled, I cut it into squares. I have no idea how long it would last if it didn't get gobbled up fairly quickly.

I remember putting the entire pot into ice water to help the fudge cool more quickly. I don't remember temperature. The butter and vanilla went on top of the fudge once the pot was in the ice water bath, not after it was cooled. I don't remember how cool it was supposed to get. I think it was when the pot was hand warm. There was that whole business about glossy or not that is mentioned in the link I shared.

It's probably 30 years or so, since the last time I made fudge. I always poured the fudge into a buttered 8"x8" baking pan. Once completely cooled, I cut it into squares. I have no idea how long it would last if it didn't get gobbled up fairly quickly.
Ok thanks so much for helping. The magic all seems to be in the cooling and kneading stages. Yes I’ll try to put the butter on the fudge. Without stirring it right after it reaches its 116C temperature.

Apart from this it seems like after the fudge cools, mix it a minute or two you get soft fudge, continue mixing it 5-7min, you get hard fudge, above that you get fudge that’s like a cookie fudge.

I did all threes stages and it’s cooling in the fridge as we speak, and I’ll see the results later.

Thanks for replying my posts!

The reason why I’m asking these basic questions is because I read read read and everyone has their own way to make some version of the fudge they think is the best but are teaching contradictory things to other rules of making fudge 🫤

And now you know that there is not just one way to make fudge. You have to find the one that works for you. No two people will likely get the same results.
Good luck!
Let us know if you get a passing grade on your project. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom