Prime Rib Perfection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw the same thing you did, Kayelle. It's just regular prime rib.

Steve's pic looks like it may have come from yelp or a similar site, and like someone trimmed the fat off, not just the char. Look closely - you can see evidence of a knife.

Actually, I just looked at yelp. They are cutting the fat off before serving! Every picture is like Steve's. No fat caps - all trimmed right down to the meat.

Hmm, the website for this place shows a "normal" looking Prime Rib slice. I must be missing something.

Seafood Restaurants in Fairbanks, AK - The Turtle Club

Yeah I've looked on their website too and the photos on the website are not what their steaks look like. I guess they just took a random steak photo and put it on the website. The picture uploaded to this forum is exactly what one of their cuts looks like.

Another cooking method that will give the Op the steak he wants is to use the standing rib roast, as suggested. The cooking method is to pack the roast in a layer of coarse salt, and then use a meat thermometer left in the roast, adncook in a low oven of about 200 'F until the thermometer ereads 135'F. The roast is then removed from the oven, and the salt layer removed. The salt has seasoned the meat, while protecting it from thermal radiation. There is no browned crust, thought the meat is succulent, tender, and wonderful to eat.

I too enjoy the browned, seasoned outside crust of good standing rib (Can't get prime rib around here). I like it even better when cooked between a two beds of charcoal, over a drip pan on the Webber Kettle.

I hope this posting was helpful.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

In any event, it never was a steak as the OP seemed to originally think. It was roasted prime rib of beef, and that's a whole other ball game.

Another cooking method that will give the Op the steak he wants is to use the standing rib roast, as suggested. The cooking method is to pack the roast in a layer of coarse salt, and then use a meat thermometer left in the roast, adncook in a low oven of about 200 'F until the thermometer ereads 135'F. The roast is then removed from the oven, and the salt layer removed. The salt has seasoned the meat, while protecting it from thermal radiation. There is no browned crust, thought the meat is succulent, tender, and wonderful to eat.

I too enjoy the browned, seasoned outside crust of good standing rib (Can't get prime rib around here). I like it even better when cooked between a two beds of charcoal, over a drip pan on the Webber Kettle.

I hope this posting was helpful.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'd agree, the picture of that plate could have been done with the "salt pack" method. I did it that way once but discarded the method because the roast does not brown at all, although the meat is very flavorful.

Depends on when you slice it. Sliced before cooking, it's a steak. Sliced after cooking, it's a serving of prime rib.

True dat Andy!

Back
Top Bottom