Prime Rib Perfection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steaky

Assistant Cook
Went to the turtle club in Fairbanks Alaska and they had made some Incredible steak.
It looks like somehow they cooked the steak without charring the top/bottom at all.

So I've been trying to recreate this steak but no matter how low I cook the steak I just can't seem to re-create that masterpiece.

Tips/thoughts?

I'm also new to the forum. Is there a way I can upload a pic of the steak I'm talking abut?

I just read the title - it does say prime rib.

It's normal to cook the entire rib roast, then cut off thick slices when it's ordered. That way, the outside edges/fat cap get nicely seasoned & browned, but the meat itself is still very pink, without any searing on the cut surface.

In order to produce it at home, buy a standing rib roast and roast ti to the desired doneness, then slice it up.

This makes alot of sense and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it already, I will try this tomorrow night. Prime Rib is on sale right now.

Yeah I was looking at my picture and it looks like even the sides of the steak are uncharred somehow.

search
[/URL]

search

Sous vide had crossed my mind, too. So I went to their website. It's a standard rib roast. They serve it in 3 sizes.

Yeah, I found a photo online of a Turtle Club prime rib plate. It almost looks as if they peeled or cut away the crust on the roast, although I'm not sure why. You could get the same effect at home.

img_1470259_0_584a913427f15502bb65c7dd0fb69df5.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I found a photo online of a Turtle Club prime rib plate. It almost looks as if they peeled or cut away the crust on the roast, although I'm not sure why. You could get the same effect at home.

img_1470260_0_584a913427f15502bb65c7dd0fb69df5.jpg

That's definitely it! How did you post that picture?

I adore prime rib, but that just doesn't look appetizing to me! The best part is the crusty highly flavorful edges! I cook a prime rib so it's the same medium rare from end to end, and because of that my favorite slice is on the outside with all the seasonings!
I think you're right RL>
some restaurants hold the complete roasts in steam tables. It could have been trimmed really well before cooking, slow roasted and then held in the steam table before carving and serving

Per CraigC, S & P the beasty, into a 500 F oven for 5 minutes, reduce temp to 200 F and cook for 1 hour per pound. Let rest for 15 minutes. Carve and serve.

It's always worked for us, we've done up to a 7-bone rib roast. He was given this method by a restauranteur. You've got a bit of a char on the outside, though not much, and a med rare to rare on the inside. Cook it a little longer if you went medium to med rare.

Now that I look at it a little closer, I wonder if they smoke their rib roasts. It looks like there might be a pink smoke ring on the perimeter. We used to have a place here that served smoked prime rib on Friday nights, and it was out of this world.

It still doesn't explain why they would remove the crust, unless maybe their cooking technique leaves too much char on the outside. :ermm:

Look at the photos below of a smoked prime rib. In the bottom photo, you can see the smoke ring, which is similar to the photo above. The top photo shows it before slicing and trimming.

Now personally, that charred crust wouldn't bother me. But in a restaurant situation, I can see why they might be inclined to trim it off.

img_1470291_0_1b8c5cc4c94f3069539b8a451c815ba0.jpg

img_1470291_1_4acd96dd7b240a9667780c70a4f2f0a4.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom