Professional Mixer vs Hand Mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have what I consider one of the best on the market. It's the one that clamps onto the side of the can and you twist the knob. In 6 seconds I can open any can and with almost no effort. Cost? 3.95. I can't even imagine why anyone needs to have a can open "by itself." :LOL: It's like 7 revolutions.

I have a Hobart N-50 that I bought in a thrift store for eight dollars (bare machine) and it cost another $200 to set it up...2 bowls, whisk, flat beater and dough hook. I found a copper bowl liner for it on Craigslist, someone gave me a grain mill attachment, meat grinder-sausage stuffer came from eBay (all metal), another plastic-bodied from a thrift store along with a roto slicer/shredder attachment. I also have a KA 5-speed hand mixer and a Braun 200 watt immersion blender. They all have a place in my kitchen, and they all get used. I will probably wear out and replace everything but the N-50. If you want a KA stand mixer, check Craigslist in your area. People get them as gifts and put them in the garage until they need the space or the money, then sell them...cheap. Like this, as a starter http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/for/830670033.html

I have a N50 and several other Hobart mixers. They are powerhouses!

The RSVA slicer is ok, but the pelican slicer is even better! See my post here!

KitchenAid Conversations - DVSA

I would love a KA mixer, but for now my hand mixer works just fine. I mixed dough recently in me new food processor, ugg what a mess and difficult to get out. It mixed great, just had a heck of a time getting it out. Must be a trick to it.
If I had a KA mixer, I am sure I would use it quite a bit, but I will have to wait as the food processor was pretty expensive and we can't afford two expensive kitchen appliances in one year, LOL.
I will say this: I cut up some half fozen chicken breasts and used the 'wide mouth' feeder along with the 4mm slicer on the food processor. I did in a couple of minutes what used to take me 10 minutes or more and was a pain! Gotta love that! And the wife and I both liked the thin slices in the Panang curry it was for. I think the 6mm would be perfect for it though.

I got my KITCHENAID PRO last year. I shopped around and found some great prices. I then took it to KOHL'S where they matched the price. I got it at a terrific deal, right near my home.

I use it all the time. It is much easier than standing with a hand mixer. I also still use my old stainless steel egg beater for omeletes. So, I use whatever is the best item for the meal.

Later William Sonoma came out with a MINI WHIP COMBO BOWL. That is a small bowl and a smaller beater that fits on the big mixers, so you can do meringues and soften butter without it blasting all over the bowl and spreading out so thin in the big bowl. Great for smaller amounts, too I think it may soon be sold elsewhere, but it was a WILLIAM SONOMA Special, at a big price for such a little bowl. But all the free cooking lessons I have had there more than made up for the cost!

I got my KITCHENAID PRO last year. I shopped around and found some great prices. I then took it to KOHL'S where they matched the price. I got it at a terrific deal, right near my home.

I use it all the time. It is much easier than standing with a hand mixer. I also still use my old stainless steel egg beater for omeletes. So, I use whatever is the best item for the meal.

Later William Sonoma came out with a MINI WHIP COMBO BOWL. That is a small bowl and a smaller beater that fits on the big mixers, so you can do meringues and soften butter without it blasting all over the bowl and spreading out so thin in the big bowl. Great for smaller amounts, too I think it may soon be sold elsewhere, but it was a WILLIAM SONOMA Special, at a big price for such a little bowl. But all the free cooking lessons I have had there more than made up for the cost!

Now this is precisely the sort of thing that I do have a hand mixer for. When I need to do something small like fluff up eggs for waffle batter or some such, the hand mixer is the thing.... quick to get ready and easy to clean up.

When I'm doing bigger stuff, especially bread dough, then the Pro 600 gets the job. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom