Queso fundido and flameado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
There are a multitude of recipes for either. We make at least 3 different recipes depending on mood.

I'll post the recipes we make over next couple of days, but will start with the simplest and the first we ever ate/made.

If you want to flame, use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of tequila (not expensive stuff, but clear), mezcal or Everclear (grain alcohol). I have never used Everclear to flame, but given the very high alcohol content, it will probably flame up pretty high, so be CAREFUL!

To safely flame at home, do it on the stovetop that has a range hood over it in a heavy skillet or at the table with nothing close that is flammable. Keep a metal pan that's large enough to completely cover your cheese dish handy and don't use too much booze for the amount of cheese you are using. If things get out of hand, just flip the extra pan over it to smother the flames. If you want to be extra safe, have a household fire extinguisher or a box of baking soda handy.

Cheese - my preferences in order, Chihuahua, Asadero, Oaxacha, Munster, Monterey Jack. You can use all of 1 kind or a combo. Do NOT use the pregrated cheese, it will not melt properly.

Down and dirty simple queso fundido

For 2

1/2 pound Mexican chorizo, removed from casing
Freshly grated (large hole) cheese - see above for choices

Warmed flour tortillas cut into triangles or thin Cantina style corn chips to serve

In an oven proof skillet, break up and brown the chorizo over medium to medium high until just done. Blot excess grease with paper towels or transfer to ovenproof serving dish leaving grease in skillet. Cover with grated cheese and place under broiler until cheese melts. Flambe if desired.

Variation
Add any combo of the following
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 large roasted, peeled and deseeded poblano pepper, chopped

Add onions to chorizo a couple minutes into browning. Add garlic about a minute before chorizo is just done. Stir in chopped poblano if using. Continue as previous.

Last edited:
That sounds yummy. I have never seen Mexican style chorizo in a store here, only the cured, Iberian style of chorizo. Do you think that Italian sausage or merguez would work? Or, maybe some other type of fresh sausage?

That sounds yummy. I have never seen Mexican style chorizo in a store here, only the cured, Iberian style of chorizo. Do you think that Italian sausage or merguez would work? Or, maybe some other type of fresh sausage?
Merguez would be much closer than anything else. Chaurice would also be a good substitute if you can get that.

We've made chorizo on occasion, even using ground pork from the grocery when we had that, but no chorizo, and wanted to make a dish using chorizo. Just add the spices and mix. I'll add the recipe we use for chorizo as well. Pretty sure I have it scaled down for about a pound of ground pork from the last time.

Last edited:
Pioneer Woman gives an excellent tutorial on the differences.
Aside from precooked (Spanish) and raw (Mexican) - Spanish colour comes from paprika and has a smokier flavour whereas Mexican gets it colour from peppers and is spicier.
Chorizo, Mexican vs Spanish
Yes, I meant to include there was a difference in my original post.

Spanish chorizo is a dried, cured product whereas the Mexican, Argentinian, etc., chorizos are fresh and need to be cooked. The fresh, raw sausage is used in queso.

Merguez would be much closer than anything else. Chaurice would also be a good substitute if you can get that.

We've made chorizo on occasion, even using ground pork from the grocery when we had that, but no chorizo, and wanted to make a dish using chorizo. Just add the spices and mix. I'll add the recipe we use for chorizo as well. Pretty sure I have it scaled down for about a pound of ground pork from the last time.
I would appreciate that. I sometimes make "bulk" Italian sausage or breakfast sausage, so that's right up my alley.

Here's my recipe for a "quick chorizo", when I just need a small amount, and there is none in the freezer. I've used this version in a delicious Rick Bayless recipe for Queso Fundido:

CHORIZO
1 lb ground pork, with some fat (though I have used other meats, with no problems)
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp Mexican (or regular) oregano
2½ tsp sweet paprika, or pure chili powder to your liking
1 clove garlic, minced
Large pinch each of cumin, cloves, and cayenne (unless you don't want hot)
2 tsp red wine or apple cider vinegar

I always mix the seasonings together, then add to the meat, and mix together.

Last edited:
Here's my recipe for a "quick chorizo", when I just need a small amount, and there is none in the freezer. I've used this version in a delicious Rick Bayless recipe for Queso Fundido:

CHORIZO
1 lb ground pork, with some fat (though I have used other meats, with no problems)
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp Mexican (or regular) oregano
2½ tsp sweet paprika, or pure chili powder to your liking
1 clove garlic, minced
Large pinch each of cumin, cloves, and cayenne (unless you don't want hot)
2 tsp red wine or apple cider vinegar

I always mix the seasonings together, then add to the meat, and mix together.
Thank you. I have bookmarked this post. I checked that I could find them before trusting that method. 😏

Thank you medtran and pepperhead. I have copied both recipes to CMT, now that I am using DH's laptop, it isn't a production to do that.

My second version of queso fundido

4 servings

Ingredients
1 Tbsp vegetable oil plus more to grease the baking dish
1/2 pound Mexican chorizo, casings removed, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 onion halved and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1 large poblano chile roasted, peeled, cut into thin strips
1 ripe Roma tomato cored, seeded, cut into small dice
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound (or 4 cups) combination of shredded Mexican-style melty cheeses such as Chihuahua , Asadero, and Oaxaca (substitute mozzarella, Muenster and Monterey Jack), mixed

Tequila if you want to flame, directions in first post of this thread.

8 to 10 flour tortillas, around 8 inches round, toasted quickly on each side in a skillet or steamed in microwave (between damp paper towels), cut into 6 triangles

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, add oil, then chorizo. Cook until nicely browned With crisp edges. Remove to a paper lined bowl to drain. Set aside. Do NOT wipe skillet.

Return skillet to stove, reduce heat to medium, add butter and onions. Cook until onions are softened, stirring occasionally, and starting to caramelize. Add the poblano strips and tomatoes, cook for 3 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Add garlic and salt. Cook for another minute or so. Remove from heat.

Add the chorizo back to the pan, stir to mix. Place mixture in serving dish(es), sprinkle evenly with cheese.

Place in oven until cheese melts and is starting to brown, about 8-10 minutes. If flaming, remove as cheese is just starting to brown, flame and serve immediately with tortilla wedges.

Use the tortilla wedges to simply pick up bites or use spoons to scoop mixture onto the wedges.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom