Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
I have a large #10 can of tomato paste, 6lbs. My ? is, can I break in down into small jars and seal them in a hot water bath?

Thanks, Joe

I have a large #10 can of tomato paste, 6lbs. My ? is, can I break in down into small jars and seal them in a hot water bath?

Thanks, Joe

Better yet, place it in ice cube trays and freeze it in little one ounce cubes. Then place in a zippy bag and take out as needed. A small can of tomato paste is six ounces. So six cubes will equal one can. Or some recipes call for only one or two ounces of paste. One or two cubes. :angel:

Thanks Addie, I just don't have that many ice cube trays! But you did give me an idea, I'll fill my pastry bag and lay them out on a sheet pan and freez them that way.

Or even dollop from a tablespoon and freeze. That's a lot of tomato paste!

I don't know why you couldn't process in a water bath.

Last edited:
Freeze it flat in quart ziplock bags. No need for ice cube trays.

Just break off however much you need to use.

Doesn't take up much freezer space that way.

I portion my extra paste between two piece of wax paper in about 1 TB dollops, freeze, then put into a Foodsaver type bag. Then I tear off however many pieces I need and reseal the bag.
But 10 lbs! That's a lotta tomato paste!

I portion my extra paste between two piece of wax paper in about 1 TB dollops, freeze, then put into a Foodsaver type bag. Then I tear off however many pieces I need and reseal the bag.
But 10 lbs! That's a lotta tomato paste!

I just spoon the extra out of the can and freeze it on a plate. Then into a Ziplock.

Back
Top Bottom