Red (aka) miso taste.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmineF

Assistant Cook
Hello everybody. Fan of asian coocking, i wanted to try dishes with miso. Hard to find some where i live, i got the chance to get a jar of national made miso. Actually red miso. I never tryed red miso before, so i really have no clue how it taste. But this one have a beery like flavour. It can be really overwhelming, specially when used with rice, or noodles (aything containing stratch), the beery flavour get really strong and become the only thin i taste. Is it normal? is that the taste of red miso? if yes, some advices about how to use it?

Hi, Amine. Welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

I haven't used miso a lot, but the red one does have a pretty strong flavor. Miso is generally used along with other ingredients, like soy sauce, mirin (sweetened rice wine), etc., to make a sauce or marinade with a combination of flavors.

This website (below) is my go-to when I want to learn about a new ingredient. This first article talks about the different types of miso, with a recipe for miso soup. The second is about using miso in a marinade for meat.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/how-to-make-simple-miso-soup.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/08/miso-marination-asian-marinades-beef-fish.html

Hope this helps [emoji2]

Miso is made from fermented soybeans (and usually other fermented grain like rice) so it can taste fermented, but it shouldn't literally taste much like beer....

Although maybe they brand you bought uses grains that are also used to brew beer.

Red miso is aged and has a stonger taste than white miso. I prefer white.

Like Got Garlic pointed out, miso isn't usually used on its own, but is combined with other ingredients to make a sauce, glaze, marinade, soup and the like.

Yes, i used it to make ramen, or simple miso soup. Im asking becaus i found the beery taste odd, and realy strong. And become stronger with ingredents containing starch (like rice or noodles) making the dish taste like solid beer. I wanted to know if actually the problem was from the brand or this is how it should taste. I tryed white and yellow miso before, in soup, noodles and marinate and was really good. Only this time, i got confused

I’ve made miso soup with red miso. In Japanese it’s called aka dashi, and is usually served as the final course of a sushi meal. I’ve never experienced a beery taste; it could be the brand, or the amount you used? Or you may be on the spot with your idea about the starches interacting with the stronger tasting fermented miso. I’ve never seen miso ramen made with anything but white miso... Most Japanese home cooks use it as a marinade and/or glaze for fish and pork, as far as I know (which isn’t very far at all!)

Thanx JustJoel for your complete answer. I always thaught miso was miso till i use this one and discover there are many. An in internet i never found enough informations about it. Now i know how to use it properly

When I first moved to Japan, I was taking a stroll down one of their 2 mile long shopping arcades. There was one store that had barrels of what looked like different kinds of nut butters in assorted colors. I mean, like 6 large barrels, from dark brown to palest yellow. I embarrassed myself by trying to ask the proprietor which one was peanut butter! No, they were all different strengths and flavors of miso. I’m am so glad I didn’t just buy some, take it home and pair it with jelly!

For those of you who’ve never visited Japan here’s a pic of the shopping arcade that was just blocks from my apartment. During the summer festivals, they’re lined with street vendors hawking grilled squid, corn on the cob, sweet mitarashi dango and other treats. It’s very festive!

FE747466-4BC3-4500-BCF0-C41770E605D3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom