Remodeling Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Andy, I hope things are looking up. I don't understand why projects of this nature simply refuse to go smoothly. I trust your hassles are over and it is smooth sailing from her on...sympathies to your SO on the loss of her aunt. So sorry.

Great news!

My contractor went to the stone company and supervised the preparation for the cutting. He checked the color, the position of the cuts and ensured there would be only one seam. Also, SO will be getting a 13" to 14" lazy suzan out of the sink cutout.

The new counter top will be delivered this Thursday noon. I could be back in business this weekend!

It's A Roller Coaster Ride!!!

The counter top arrived on schedule Thursday noon. There was just the one seam and it was in the right place. They put the stone in place and finished the installation, attaching the sink and drilling the holes for the faucet. Then they cleaned it off, removing all the dirt and dust and revealing some kind of roller marks every 13" across the entire peninsula. The installers tried to remove them to no avail.

We were ready to kill. The counter top was unacceptable as it stood. Someone would have to come and rip it out and start all over again!

The stone company insisted the problem would be remedied and asked us to wait until their expert arrived.

A couple of hours later, Roberto arrived with a bag full of supermarket bought cleaning supplies: Comet, Scrubbing Bubbles spray foam, latex gloves and a yellow sponge with green scrubby material on one side. He set to work sprinkling Comet on the counter top, spraying that with Scrubbing Bubbles and scrubbing with the sponge. He polished the entire top and, lo and behold, the counter top was perfection when he was done!

He told us they call him Doctor Rock for the magic he works on various stone surfaces. A title well earned That day!

What a relief! Finally the job could proceed to the finish line.

The contractor worked late to put up half the backslash tile before going home. He finished it Friday morning and grouted the whole wall by the end of the day.

The plumber came to hook up the stove, faucet, disposal and dishwasher.

Today the contractor finished the odds and ends. He comes back Monday or Tuesday to seal the backsplash grout and we are done!!!

I'll post pictures soon.

looking forward to seeing pictures.

wish i knew how to do that . just finished a small redo in my small bathroom. last tenant painted walls purple, so we did it in white. put in a new floor that is just beautiful.

no major replacements though. this was enough of a disruption for me.

babe:cool:

Andy .. sounds like you are back on track ...
but ...
grout should have at least a week to cure before being
sealed ...
the grout needs to have all the moisture out of it before
sealing .. other wise the color can change ..
i have seen it happen ..

We spent today chasing around for new wall plates, switches and outlets for the kitchen. Then we spent the afternoon cleaning up the area and running loads through the DW as there was a ton of dust generated in parts of the remodel. More of that to go.

So tonight I took a meal of tomato sauce with sausage and meatballs out and that, with spaghetti, was dinner with a salad and wine.

Tomorrow I am doing a roast chicken with pilaf and some fresh green beans sautéed with mushrooms and onions and finished with a bit of Rotel.

A couple of hours later, Roberto arrived with a bag full of supermarket bought cleaning supplies: Comet, Scrubbing Bubbles spray foam, latex gloves and a yellow sponge with green scrubby material on one side. He set to work sprinkling Comet on the counter top, spraying that with Scrubbing Bubbles and scrubbing with the sponge. He polished the entire top and, lo and behold, the counter top was perfection when he was done!

He told us they call him Doctor Rock for the magic he works on various stone surfaces. A title well earned That day!
Wow, Andy. Did you happen to watch Roberto? Because I'd sure like some tips on making that kind of magic on stone surfaces.

Wow, Andy. Did you happen to watch Roberto? Because I'd sure like some tips on making that kind of magic on stone surfaces.

Yes, I did watch. It was simple as what I described in my earlier post. Sprinkle some Comet, spray the Comet with Scrubbing Bubbles, scrub with a scouring sponge. Wash up with paper towels and water.

Keep i mind I have an engineered stone countertop. It's different in properties from granite and marble. I don;t know if this would work on those stones.

We spent today chasing around for new wall plates, switches and outlets for the kitchen. Then we spent the afternoon cleaning up the area and running loads through the DW as there was a ton of dust generated in parts of the remodel. More of that to go.

So tonight I took a meal of tomato sauce with sausage and meatballs out and that, with spaghetti, was dinner with a salad and wine.

Tomorrow I am doing a roast chicken with pilaf and some fresh green beans sautéed with mushrooms and onions and finished with a bit of Rotel.
And be prepared to get more of that dust Andy:LOL: My makeover here has been done several months, went to get a glass dish to melt chocolate in for those chocolate covered frozen bananas, guess what? dish was full of dust and particles from the granite tops we had put in..And I had taken everything out of there and cleaned..Ahhh Well..Glad you're done and enjoying the beauty.
kades

Yes, I did watch. It was simple as what I described in my earlier post. Sprinkle some Comet, spray the Comet with Scrubbing Bubbles, scrub with a scouring sponge. Wash up with paper towels and water.

Keep i mind I have an engineered stone countertop. It's different in properties from granite and marble. I don;t know if this would work on those stones.
Oh Andy, I thought surely there were a few more steps or something. Amazing! This is something I will definitely try and thanks for posting it.

Oh Andy, I thought surely there were a few more steps or something. Amazing! This is something I will definitely try and thanks for posting it.

FM, keep in mind this process did not change the surface finish. It just removed some stuff from the surface. The end result looked the same as the original except for the marks.

Congratulations, Andy and family! I know just how you feel, and you must be SO glad to be cooking again. That was my biggest joy when my kitchen was finally finished!

Are you waiting for the grout to be sealed before you break out the Champagne? ;)

...Are you waiting for the grout to be sealed before you break out the Champagne? ;)

Actually, the kitchen is just phase 1. In two weeks we are getting hardwood floors on the main floor, then the whole place is being painted and some wall to wall is being replaced. THEN the champagne comes out.

I suspect it's a never-ending process. Yesterday while we were at the lighting store for the wall plates and stuff, we saw a light fixture that would be perfect for the kitchen. Much better than the industrial looking fixture I have there now.

Pictures!

Here are some pictures from before construction began and whet the "during construction" phase was like. Notice the window is a different color from the cabinets and the lovely linoleum flooring. You can't see the 2" cut from when I dropped my chef's knife.

Attachments

• DSC02943.JPG
    DSC02943.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC02951.JPG
    DSC02951.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC02958.JPG
    DSC02958.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom