Rescued Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have spiders like that here Skittle. We also have black widows. I kill the black widows because they are like the brown recluse. I don't think of them as pets though. I draw a line at insects. My grandson and I watched a walking stick in the garden for a while, but didn't keep him.

Here is Roe, technically she s not a rescue, but I rescue her Mom on Fridays to give her some "away from dog time."

Attachments

• roe baby 002.JPG
    roe baby 002.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 131
PrincessFiona60 said:
Here is Roe, technically she s not a rescue, but I rescue her Mom on Fridays to give her some "away from dog time."

She's so cute!

PF--you're in denial--you really do want a dog, so you take Roe on Fridays to get your dog fix.:LOL:

I would believe that if her Mom didn't call me and ask if I could take her for a few hours.:rolleyes:

Besides, I would not make my cats miserable by bringing another cat OR dog into our home right now. not enough space.

Attachments

• roe baby 004.JPG
    roe baby 004.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 134
Oh!Oh!Oh! Just "our" kind of doggie! And, yes, in the couple of years between dogs, we "adopted" a friend's dog and they could bring her over when they needed a "sitter". We'd still take her, but they claim she is mean to other dogs. I don't think it would be a problem, we'd take her anyway. Her name is Stella, and don't you just love the idea of walking outside and yelling, "Stella! Stella!"

Nicer than standing outside and yelling "Roe, Roe Roe..." and someone chimes in "your boat!"

She is a blast, still only about 5 pounds, 3-4 months old now.

Nicer than standing outside and yelling "Roe, Roe Roe..." and someone chimes in "your boat!"

She is a blast, still only about 5 pounds, 3-4 months old now.

Sounds like something I'd sing out if I heard it! Is she a Jack Russell? If so, how in the heck old is your Mom? They are a challenge!

Last edited:
I had a cat who was a bit psycho. I was considering calling her Psycho. A friend pointed out that I didn't want to be wandering the alleys yelling, "Psycho!" on moving day. :LOL:

Last edited:
I had a cat who was a bit psycho. I was considering calling her Psycho. A friend pointed out that I didn't want to be wandering the alleys yelling, "Psycho!" on moving day. :LOL:

Growing up a neighbor lady had a scottie dog, pureberd and I can't remember it's real name. Every day she would tell that dog to get his a** into the house...guess what the dog would answer to:LOL::LOL: He never would come to anything else and she'd be out in her yard yelling for him.

On monday my bf and I saw a black lab jump off a bridge in the park and fall around 20 feet, landing on her side on bedrock. She was just running at full speed and jumped the stone wall, probably thinking there was solid ground on the other side. Miraculously the dog got right up and was able to walk out a little farther up the stream where the wall is lower. Poor dog was bleeding from its mouth, limping, whimpering, shaking violently, and stumbling. The 15 year old girl with the dog was freaking out of course, and we thought the dog should go straight to a vet, not be forced to limp home. To me, the way she was walking looked like it could have been a back injury, with her back legs too far forward, and her spine sort of arched. She was trying to walk away, pulling the dog on a leash, so we had to convince her the dog needed immediate vet care. We loaded them up in our van, and started calling around to vet offices to see if anyone would take a look at her. I called 6 different places and every singe one said they were all booked up and wouldn't be able to fit her in, even though the emergency vet is closed until 5:30 pm. The dog just fell off a bridge!! She could easily have serious internal injuries, and we have no idea how much pain she was in. We should have just walked in the door somewhere. Any reasonable animal lover would probably have given up their routine appointment. I know I would have. Anyway, by then the dog seemed to be doing quite a bit better, so we dropped her off at the dog groomer, where she had just come from. I saw her later walking through the park and she said the dog groomers told her to just keep an eye on her and she would probably be fine. I hope this girl tells her parents, because that dog at least needs to go in and get checked out. The groomers didn't see the fall, or see how she was walking when she came out of the stream. It was so awful.... I still can't believe none of the vet offices made any effort to see her... I am just shocked by that. Hope that dog is ok.

Skittle, that is terrible. Like you said, you should have just walked in the door with the dog. Here in Boston we Have the Angell Memorial Hospital for Animals. They are so wonderful. We also have The Big Animal Hospital further out from the city. It is for big animals like horses, etc. Angell is open 24 hours and takes in whatever shows up at their door. Sometimes a stray that gets hit by a vehicle will be brought in by the police. They give the animal surgery if needed and anything else. Then when it is all healed it goes on the adoption list. :angel:

That is horrible. A fall from that height could result in internal injuries, etc. And yes, you should have just picked one vet and shown up in the lobby. Any vet worth his/her degree would have found time to see the dog. The receptionists are trained to keep people away...

If it was my dog and no one would agree to see him/her, I would have just walked in somewhere and asked the vet to send me away in person, but the 15 year old was getting antsy and I didn't want to overstep my boundaries, as far as not letting a minor who wanted to go, out of my vehicle. But it just makes me sick. If I was a receptionist, no amount of training could have gotten me to be so cold. Ugh.

If you remember which vets offices you called, call them back and tell them why you will not be choosing them for vet care when you get a pet.

Skittle, that was so kind of you. You did what you could.

Today, DH took beagle out at noon, it was garbage day, which she usually doesn't acknowlege. They came back in, but beagle had a prize in her mouth that looked like half of a roadkill squirrel. We figured out she must be part pitbull, as DH could not get her to drop her prize. He grabbed her jaws and tried to pry them apart, she would NOT let go.

i'm thinking, oh crap, worms, vermin, etc. Turned out it was a piece of chicken. Have no idea where she got it.

Last edited:
Skittle, that was so kind of you. You did what you could.

Today, DH took beagle out at noon, it was garbage day, which she usually doesn't acknowlege. They came back in, but beagle had a prize in her mouth that looked like half of a roadkill squirrel. We figured out she must be part pitbull, as DH could not get her to drop her prize. He grabbed her jaws and tried to pry them apart, she would NOT let go.

i'm thinking, oh crap, worms, vermin, etc. Turned out it was a piece of chicken. Have no idea where she got it.
One of my dogs was like that with raw hide. I only would use raw hide when testing foster dogs for food aggression and resource guarding, but if that boy snuck in the kennel building and got a piece of raw hide, there was no way I could get him to drop it and there was no way I was going in his mouth after it--he outweighed me. Anything else, all I had to say was "SPIT" and he literally would SPIT the item out (all my dogs would). To get him to move off raw hide, I had to use raw chicken liver, and lots of it. When it is high value, it is hard to get the dog to give it up and you have decide if the battle is worth fighting. Trading is always safer than trying to take something of high value out of a dog's mouth. The trick is to find s/thing the dog will consider a fair trade.

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
One of my dogs was like that with raw hide. I only would use raw hide when testing foster dogs for food aggression and resource guarding, but if that boy snuck in the kennel building and got a piece of raw hide, there was no way I could get him to drop it and there was no way I was going in his mouth after it--he outweighed me. Anything else, all I had to say was "SPIT" and he literally would SPIT the item out (all my dogs would). To get him to move off raw hide, I had to use raw chicken liver, and lots of it. When it is high value, it is hard to get the dog to give it up and you have decide if the battle is worth fighting. Trading is always safer than trying to take something of high value out of a dog's mouth. The trick is to find s/thing the dog will consider a fair trade.

Unfortunately, there was nothing fair trade for either half of a road kill squirrel or a piece of chicken. Have never seen beagle so stubborn, or DH so mad with her! "Drop!" (Prying). "Drop!". Uh uh. This went on for five minutes, we still couldn't tell what it was. DH finally won, and Beagle currently isn't speaking to him.

Isn't there a technique where you squeeze the jaw hinge and the dog drops whatever they have in their mouth?

Last edited:
My kitty has been missing for 5 days now :( I put lost cat posters on just about every intersection for two square miles, filed a report with the police dept and animal shelters, and drove around calling him from nearly every street corner. I got a call from a neighbor maybe 1/4 mile down the road saying he may have seen him yesterday, and the day before, so hopefully he is circling that area and can be picked up. He is very, very friendly, so there is a chance someone already grabbed him... Good chance they will see my huge neon orange signs if they have him. I can't believe he would get lost, but if it really was him yesterday I guess he must be... First time in ten years he's gotten lost, but it is a new place. I hope I get a call soon... I miss him so much!!

Back
Top Bottom