Rescued Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 3-3-1/2 week old kitty I found on the road today is with kitten rescue tonight--I couldn't keep her here because I didn't have the supplies to bottle feed her. Everything is closed on Sundays in our little village where I could've gotten KMF or bottles. Luckily, I know s/one who does kitten rescue AND there is a nursing mom there--she has accepted said kitty! Even though they have more kittens than they'd like, they found room for just one more.

We had a horrible storm tonight so I was happy that the little one was out of the storm and someplace safe, not to mention, someplace where she could be dry, warm, and getting fed. Why people don't spay or neuter their cats (and dogs) is beyond me.

Thank you for taking care of that baby, CWS.:wub:

Is Cooper a Great Dane? He is handsome.

Both of his parents looked like regular labs but when you see some of his puppy photos, his ears looked just like a great dane puppy's would. Now that he's huge, we see that his legs are ridiculously long.. I'm assuming there is a dane somewhere up his family line.

Both of his parents looked like regular labs but when you see some of his puppy photos, his ears looked just like a great dane puppy's would. Now that he's huge, we see that his legs are ridiculously long.. I'm assuming there is a dane somewhere up his family line.

If there was a white patch on Cooper's chest, and a tiny bit of white on each of his paws; I would have thought my Great Dane Cereberus was lying on that dog bed!:ohmy:

Mink, the solid brown Australian Shepherd was rescued from a hoarder when he was 3 days old. She had 125 dogs, all of them mostly feral, and Mink's mother was injured during the rescue and had to be put down. He was handraised by dedicated foster mom, and I got him when he was 6 weeks old.

Stella, the sorta Dalmation, came to me as a foster dog--she was just going to stay a little while. That was 2 years ago. She is an absolute doll, kind and gentle, and has the softest fur ever. She goes with me to school to teach kids about dog safety.

Trouble, the brown and white Aussie, was a gift. But I love him anyway.

img_1025609_0_9f9df1b804e21bb7d4b7c36a8459d6a0.jpg

I found Smudge the cat in the middle of the road one dark and stormy night. He was skinny enough to see thru, matted, and sick with a UTI. I took him to the vet, expecting to have him put down, but a round of antibiotics fixed him right up. He was obviously someone's pampered baby--declawed all the way around, enjoys being groomed and thinks that he is entitled to any lap that comes his way.

img_1025609_1_8797be5af24f346958afb65232517955.jpg

I put up flyers and advertised in the paper, but never found an owner--don't know how he came to be in the middle of the woods all alone.

Sparrowgrass, the picture of the three dogs is fantastic. They are so cute and posed so well. I am enjoying all of your stories. We have also rescued pets in the past. Right now our red golden retriever we have was given to us when a couple got divorced. She had spent many weekends in her house alone with the door propped open for her. She also spent too much time in a car when it was hot outside. Our golden retriever we already had took her in and they are now (have been for three years) a very happy couple.

I've had more dogs than I want to count--mine and foster dogs. A friend of mine painted my dogs as a b'day gift...all but one have moved on now (the one with the "I-spy eye" is still with me--she's the one who looks as if she's in a wind tunnel). But they were all alive, except for the one with the glasses, when he painted these paintings for me:

James Talmadge Art

Dogs 1 and 2 are my dogs--all of them were rescued dogs. James is a very talented artist and I was very touched that the first "dog" paintings he ever did were for me. What a wonderful b'day gift. What a wonderful friend.

I love these two paintings--they hang in my office. They are 4 ft x 3 ft. The cockles of my heart are warmed whenever I look at the paintings--my dogs, captured for eternity by my friend.

The Sheens have his paintings, as does Brooke Shields. I guess I'm in good company, except his original paintings that I have are DOGS! And MY dogs!

Last edited:
I found Smudge the cat in the middle of the road one dark and stormy night. He was skinny enough to see thru, matted, and sick with a UTI. I took him to the vet, expecting to have him put down, but a round of antibiotics fixed him right up. He was obviously someone's pampered baby--declawed all the way around, enjoys being groomed and thinks that he is entitled to any lap that comes his way.

img_1025795_0_8797be5af24f346958afb65232517955.jpg

I put up flyers and advertised in the paper, but never found an owner--don't know how he came to be in the middle of the woods all alone.

That is one beautiful lilac point himalayan!

Beautiful animals, Sparrowgrass!

CWS, when I try to view your pics, I get a black screen that won't load. Am I doing something wrong?

Beautiful animals, Sparrowgrass!

CWS, when I try to view your pics, I get a black screen that won't load. Am I doing something wrong?

Just for information, an Adobe "Flash Player" must be installed into your browser in order to see CWS's web site he posted. I don't know whether you have one as a part of your browser, but that could be the problem.

Selkie said:
Just for information, an Adobe "Flash Player" must be installed into your browser in order to see CWS's web site he posted. I don't know whether you have one as a part of your browser, but that could be the problem.

Good call, Selkie. IPad has no access to Flash. Will have to check it out on the PC. Thanks!

This is our girl, Clover, who is almost three. She's a purebred Irish Setter rescue dog. Her previous owner thought she would get into the breeding business, but when she ended up overwhelmed with 8 rambunctious Setter puppies, quickly changed her mind and gave them all to an animal shelter in Duluth, MN.

She is just about the sweetest dog you could ever imagine.

img_1025844_0_6aa51a6baee66bfb777e97ce679aecaf.jpg

Steve Kroll said:
This is our girl, Clover, who is almost three. She's a purebred Irish Setter rescue dog. Her previous owner thought she would get into the breeding business, but when she ended up overwhelmed with 8 rambunctious Setter puppies, quickly changed her mind and gave them all to an animal shelter in Duluth, MN.

She's adorable! Just love all these pics!

Good call, Selkie. IPad has no access to Flash. Will have to check it out on the PC. Thanks!
Oh--right, James loves Flash. BTW, he did the graphics for the Cosby Show...and some stuff for Sesame Street as well. I don't have the jpgs on my laptop--they are on my stand-alone but it's upstairs where it is HOT. I can get them off that computer and post them if you'd like.

CWS4322 said:
Oh--right, James loves Flash. BTW, he did the graphics for the Cosby Show...and some stuff for Sesame Street as well. I don't have the jpgs on my laptop--they are on my stand-alone but it's upstairs where it is HOT. I can get them off that computer and post them if you'd like.

Thanks! I should be able to access them from my PC with Flash.

Wow, what a talented James! Loved the Cosby show!

He's a really great person--and a dog lover! He's adopted/taken in many an abandoned dog in his lifetime. I'm happy to count him as a friend.

img_1025973_0_6aa51a6baee66bfb777e97ce679aecaf.jpg

She's beautiful!! I love setters, knew one that was a good retriever...she'd go grab the human babies by the collar and drag them back in the yard when they wandered off.

Here is a funny story about my Smudge--he was very matted when I found him, and when he was at the vet, I asked Doctor Ben to shave him a little bit down below, because I could not tell if Smudge was male or female. He did, and he said, "Yep, that's a boy! (Pause) No, wait a minute, there is no penis there. But that is not a vagina! I think this cat must be a hermaphrodite!"

I went home and did some googling (cautiously--who knows what comes up when you insert certain search words!!) and found that poor Smudge must have had the surgery for UTI's. In male cats, the urethra is narrow and blockages are common--to fix that, they sometimes (guys, quit reading right here!!)

split the penis open to make the urethra wider.

Here is a funny story about my Smudge--he was very matted when I found him, and when he was at the vet, I asked Doctor Ben to shave him a little bit down below, because I could not tell if Smudge was male or female. He did, and he said, "Yep, that's a boy! (Pause) No, wait a minute, there is no penis there. But that is not a vagina! I think this cat must be a hermaphrodite!"

I went home and did some googling (cautiously--who knows what comes up when you insert certain search words!!) and found that poor Smudge must have had the surgery for UTI's. In male cats, the urethra is narrow and blockages are common--to fix that, they sometimes (guys, quit reading right here!!)

split the penis open to make the urethra wider.

More likely it was stones, not a UTI.
This surgery is becoming more common (also in dogs), but in cats it can be fatal within days. The blockage in cats causes other infections, due to like you said, the passage being so narrow and not being able to pass any urine. Sometimes they do not survive the surgery if they have been blocked for more than a couple days.
So if your male cat stops eating and starts dripping a little blood you better get him to the vet immediately.

Back
Top Bottom