Rotisserie Chicken thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Was reading an article about rotisserie chickens by Food Republic. I can't remember ever buying one although I must have at some time in the last half century. So I found this an interesting article 5 yes & no rotisserie chickens recently from Food Republic.
Was wondering how often anyone here buys them, where from, etc. As I often see recipes that say "use a rotisserie chicken for this!"

Also does anyone else get these Food Republic notes? Find them a really mixed bag of info, some good, some OK, and some really quite inane (making me wonder what planet they live on).

Well with the price of chicken a rotisserie chicken is cheap and convenient and it's a quality protein source. I probably pick up 6 or so a year locally from either Metro or Food Land.

Last edited:
I used to buy rotisserie chickens often. Until they became ridiculous in price. I hear Costco's chickens are reasonable, but I don't have a Costco near me.

I've tried Walmart chickens, Kroger and Giant Eagle. Giant Eagle's rotisserie chickens were amazing. Moist and tender and succulent flavor; absolutely the best one I've had. Walmart, meh, it wasn't bad. It sufficed. But of those three, Kroger chickens are the worst. They're either too dried out or not done enough. I cut into one that was still raw in the middle. And the seasonings they use are awful. Don't like the flavor of their chickens at all.

I don't get the Food Republic notes, but I do read the Eat This, Not That website on the daily.

I make my own rotisserie chicken probably twice a month. It is so easy and versatile to use. My favorite use is to make chicken salad out of it.

Crock pot rotisserie chicken

stir together rub;

2 t. kosher salt
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. Italian seasoning
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 T. brown sugar

Cut up vegetables

Rub melted butter all over chicken. Sprinkle on rub on all sides of chicken. Put cut up vegetables in bottom of crock pot. Place chicken breast side down on vegetables, cover pot with lid and cook on high for 4 hours.

Costco $4.99. Price has not changed for ages. What I like is they do not apply much seasoning it seems. Maybe salt and pepper.
Great as is. Great chicken salad from the breast meat. Freezes great. Great shredded for any chicken dish that calls for chicken and it's extremely reasonable.
I try to buy one on each visit even if I have no plans for it. I take it home, remove the bones and reserve the bones and carcass to freeze.
I then freeze the boneless chicken to use any way we want.
Great deal, great chicken.

Whenever I get to go to Wegmans 💃🏻🥂🤩. I buy one or two of their rotisserie chickens. They are delicious and dirt cheap.

But I don’t buy them elsewhere

I used to buy them at Wegman’s before the recent price increases.

Wegman’s is pretty careful about monitoring the time and temperature that the birds are held. They also make a point of having staff seen while they perform routine safety checks of all the prepared foods.

I would still buy them as part of an impromptu picnic meal.

I make my own rotisserie chicken probably twice a month. It is so easy and versatile to use. My favorite use is to make chicken salad out of it.

Crock pot rotisserie chicken

stir together rub;

2 t. kosher salt
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. Italian seasoning
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 T. brown sugar

Cut up vegetables

Rub melted butter all over chicken. Sprinkle on rub on all sides of chicken. Put cut up vegetables in bottom of crock pot. Place chicken breast side down on vegetables, cover pot with lid and cook on high for 4 hours.

No offense intended, but if you make it in a crock pot, it is not a rotisserie chicken. I'm sure it tastes good, but... it's a crock pot chicken.

I have a rotisserie kit for my Weber Kettle, which is how I make mine. It takes about an hour, plus or minus, depending on the size of the bird.

1714750503675.jpeg

CD

Last edited:
We like the Costco chickens. We use it for different meals. For one, it provides the exact amount of chicken needed for our recipe of chicken pies.

Costco $4.99. Price has not changed for ages. What I like is they do not apply much seasoning it seems. Maybe salt and pepper.
Great as is. Great chicken salad from the breast meat. Freezes great. Great shredded for any chicken dish that calls for chicken and it's extremely reasonable.
I try to buy one on each visit even if I have no plans for it. I take it home, remove the bones and reserve the bones and carcass to freeze.
I then freeze the boneless chicken to use any way we want.
Great deal, great chicken.

COSTCO doesn't make any profit on their $4.99 rotisserie chickens. But, they are in the very back of the store, and as any COSTCO member knows, you can go in there to buy that $4.99 chicken, and somehow leave the store with $200 worth of stuff you didn't plan to buy... and probably didn't need.

Brilliant marketing!!!

CD

I love grilled chicken, man. It's so cheap and delicious. I haven't had it in ages, I really need to switch it up.

Was in Fortino's today, went to see their rotisserie chickens. LOL, $15.** (that's Cdn$) . I think a small whole chicken, fresh, can be got for about $12.00. so I guess it's whether or not you actually have a rotisserie and whether or not you feel like cooking it!
Might be going to Costco early next week, I'll check out the Canadian price. I know a friend bought them all the time and I believe she said they were $7.99. I'll have to also check out the Walmart as well.

We used to get the rotisserie chicken from Costco and sometimes from Maxi. They are cheaper than buying a fresh or frozen chicken the same size. The are great for an easy meal when you are pooped out from shopping. I use the leftovers mostly for chicken salad and hot chicken sandwiches. If I could get the ones that had to be chilled because they had been out under the hot lights as long as possible delivered, I would. The ones that have been put in a cooler while still safe to do that. I have seen those chickens in stores on occasion, but not for delivery.

Was in Fortino's today, went to see their rotisserie chickens. LOL, $15.** (that's Cdn$) . I think a small whole chicken, fresh, can be got for about $12.00. so I guess it's whether or not you actually have a rotisserie and whether or not you feel like cooking it!
Might be going to Costco early next week, I'll check out the Canadian price. I know a friend bought them all the time and I believe she said they were $7.99. I'll have to also check out the Walmart as well.

The only reason I make my own rotisserie chicken is because I enjoy eating food that I made myself. It would definitely be cheaper for me to buy a COSTCO rotisserie chicken, and they are good, but I'd lose that enjoyment of knowing "I cooked this." Yeah, that's probably an ego thing, but it's not always a bad thing to stroke your ego.

CD

We were at Costco today to pick up my hearing aids and bought a rotchik. We had it with pilaf and a veggie. Takes me back to the days when our family dinner EVERY SUNDAY was chicken and pilaf cooked by my mom.

We were at Costco today to pick up my hearing aids and bought a rotchik. We had it with pilaf and a veggie. Takes me back to the days when our family dinner EVERY SUNDAY was chicken and pilaf cooked by my mom.

Sunday dinner was the one and only meal the whole family ate together every week. It was always some kind of meat, some kind of potatoes, and some kind of canned vegetable. Sometimes chicken was the meat.

CD

Growing up, all summer every weekend had rotisserie chicken on the charcoal grill. Except a few times during the summer there would be steak cooked on that grill. That was probably the weeks that steak was on special. There were also always potatoes wrapped in foil and cooked in the charcoal and a salad. I don't remember what the weekend meals were other seasons. Sometimes my mum made a rotisserie chicken in the broiler. We had a built in oven and below it was a broiler with a rotisserie which was the same size as the oven. Sometimes she cooked steak in that broiler. I don't remember ever eating a hamburger at home.

I have a rotisserie attachment for my Emeril Lagassbag air fryer oven, but then I found out that a rottiserie chicken at the grocery store is cheaper than buying a raw chicken and doing it your own self. But the rotisserie is still great for cooking two rock cornish game hens or a pork tenderloin!

Wally World had rotisserie chickens on sale yesterday for $5.97, so I ordered two and froze one. That will be about 6 meals when I add a tub of Bob Evans mashed potatoes, a jar of Heinz chicken gravy, and a can of vegetables.

COSTCO doesn't make any profit on their $4.99 rotisserie chickens. But, they are in the very back of the store, and as any COSTCO member knows, you can go in there to buy that $4.99 chicken, and somehow leave the store with $200 worth of stuff you didn't plan to buy... and probably didn't need.

Brilliant marketing!!!

CD
You are correct. But I have never gone into Costco just for the chicken. I try to remember to get one every time we are in the store with a $400 shopping list.....lol

I had a Costco rotisserie chicken once and didn't like it.
I like the Walmart and supermarket (ShopRite) rotisserie chickens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom