Servsafe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milkdemcows

Assistant Cook
To be certified, do you have to enroll in a class/training course, or can you just take the exam after independent study? And/or does this vary by state?

I believe each state has it's own rules. Check with the folks in RI, where you live, to see what their requirements are.

I was certified last year - a three day class through the Health Dept. I advise getting a hold of the book a few weeks before your class.

Attending a few days class is a must and no exception, no matter which states you're staying now...

This to ensure you're really a certified person and qualify for the serving service.

Attending a few days class is a must and no exception, no matter which states you're staying now...

This to ensure you're really a certified person and qualify for the serving service.
Taking the class usually isn't mandatory. It's only purpose is to prep you for the test. Taking and passing the test is mandatory to be servsafe certified.

ServSafe is through the National Restaurant Association, so going to another state isn't going to make you get re-certified in ServSafe. If the state has a mandatory food safety certification to work in their restaurants, the question is whether or not they will accept your ServSafe certification as their own.

I live in Louisville, KY and if you are ServSafe certified, you don't have to take any of their classes or tests, just pay their fee (imagine that).

I am currently a Servsafe instructor/proctor in the State of Michigan. Here each county has their own requirments to become certified. Some require an 8 hour class for first time certification others require a 16 hour class. I have take both the 16 and 8 hour class and with a score of 90% or above you can become an instructor, proctor or both. The class, if done with a good instructor, is excellent and informative. Like the reply above get you book weeks before the class and read it because if you underestimate how hard that test is and you have a poor instructor you will fail for certain. The cost is anywhere between $70.00 and $150.00 and you can go to Servsafe.com to see who and where they are testing in your area. If you are required to have the class for a job you are employed at they should pay for the class and test. I enjoy taking the class and have had alot of fun taking it and becoming an instructor. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom