Sour Cream in Pancakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My top three pancakes from restaurants are McD's, Denny's and Cracker Barrell. Most other places, I can only eat about 2 pancakes, but at the restaurants listed above, it leaves me wanting more.

I have some kind of a hint, but still dont know the details. I used to work in a Cake mix factory, we make the cakes you buy in a box at the store. We made them for over 300 different stores across the country, and a few international brands. Anywhere you are in the country at the local grocery store this factory most likely made it.

One Canadian brand stood out the most, President's Choice Special Recipe pancake mix. For some reason this one peticular brand was different then all the others. Granted there was about 10-15 different formulas, but this one was exclusive.

And it smelled just like McD's pancake mix. None of the others did. My job was the 'End of the Line' where all the conveyor belts came together and we prepared them for truck loading.

But I was able to ask the mixers what they put in the 'PC' Special Recipe. They said Sour Cream, and (I forgot the other thing but it was unique - this was over 8 years ago)

So has anyone heard of Sour Cream in pancakes. I have heard of it in donuts and yes it has the familiar taste. I never did see them do it, so I dont know does it come in a powder form or just put a 'Dollop of Daisy'?

My Mom used to put sour cream in pancakes sometimes. It does add a bit of a different flavor but it's good.

Yes, there is a powdered form of sour cream. My theory is, and it should work for every one, in my kitchen I'm the boss and if I want sour cream in a batch of pan cakes, SPLAT!, in goes the sour cream.

There is a fabulous recipe my family has made for decades for special occasions and anytime one could wrangle it.
It's found in most older cookbooks like Gourmet, Bon Appetit, etc, and of course, found online easily.
They are cottage cheese pancakes (the one with whipped egg whites folded in).
This is a true delicacy that just needs lemon wedges, powdered sugar, sour cream, homemade jam or fruit syrup toppings. So light and airy, delicate and delicious!

When I make pancakes from scratch (not bisquick), I use buttermilk instead of regular milk. We like the subtle tang it adds and I really think it makes them a little fluffier. My BIL has a recipe for waffles that uses sour cream and they have that same subtle tang. I say go for it, what's the worst that can happen? You don't like it so waste a few ingredients and a little time?

Yes, there is a powdered form of sour cream. My theory is, and it should work for every one, in my kitchen I'm the boss and if I want sour cream in a batch of pan cakes, SPLAT!, in goes the sour cream.

:ROFLMAO::LOL: Love that !!!

I didn't know there was a powdered form of sour cream. After doing a quick search I'm now wondering if there is one that is better than another. Also, where would you purchase something like this?

I never found out who the supplier is. They lost that contract so I will never find out. If there are any good researchers the company name was President's Choice (Special Recipe Pancake Mix). it is Canadian. That is all I know.

Sometimes when I do not have yogurt I use sour cream instead in my pancakes, but then kind of have to play with consistency.

I remember, as a child, that when the half-gallon of milk soured, Mom would immediately declare a pancake day. My husband likes my blintzes, and I make them from whatever form of milk is at hand. I've used cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, yogurt. And, yes, doing it correctly, both regular milk and butter milk.

I love the recipe I use for these German style sour cream pancakes. I used to do them from scratch, but I now use bisquick.

12 heaping Tbsp Bisquick
12 Heaping Tbsp Sour Cream
6 large eggs
1 tsp sugar
Pinch of salt
Milk to thin, if needed.

Wisk all ingredients together in large bowl. Let stand for 1/2 hour. Heat griddle/large skillet over medium heat. I prefer non-stick. Use a paper towel to wipe a thin layer of canola/vegitable oil in the pan as it heats, being careful not to burn your self. Using the method you prefer, pour batter into skillet. Wisk well right before you start to pour. You'll know when to flip. These things are so light, they might just start floating out of the pan!:ROFLMAO: Be careful, you might find yourself eating more of these than you would other pancakes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom