Spoon-sized sieve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suffol

Assistant Cook
Hello! I've joined specifically to ask all of you experts if any of you have come across anything like a spoon-sized sieve. I was making something the other night, and realised that it's a useful tool that I really ought to have - for easily removing things like burnt bits from sauces or spices from curries etc. So I looked online, and couldn't find anything. The smallest sieves seem to be 2 - 3 inches diameter.

What I was imagining is something the size and shape of a normal dessertspoon (or a round equivalent size), but with mesh rather than bowl. Do such things exist, and if not why not? A slotted spoon isn't the kind of thing at all

Thanks in advance for your views / advice :wacko:

Hello! I've joined specifically to ask all of you experts if any of you have come across anything like a spoon-sized sieve. I was making something the other night, and realised that it's a useful tool that I really ought to have - for easily removing things like burnt bits from sauces or spices from curries etc. So I looked online, and couldn't find anything. The smallest sieves seem to be 2 - 3 inches diameter.

What I was imagining is something the size and shape of a normal dessertspoon (or a round equivalent size), but with mesh rather than bowl. Do such things exist, and if not why not? A slotted spoon isn't the kind of thing at all

Thanks in advance for your views / advice :wacko:

Would a metal "tea ball" or an altered metal garlic press (remove the actual "press side") work?

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

I have one of the 2" ones you're talking about. It will work fine for your purposes. I think with a smaller one, the stuff you're straining out would clog the mesh quickly, causing the rest of the liquid to spill over the sides. It's not practical.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

I have one of the 2" ones you're talking about. It will work fine for your purposes. I think with a smaller one, the stuff you're straining out would clog the mesh quickly, causing the rest of the liquid to spill over the sides. It's not practical.

Where can I find one like yours?

One year I bought for my two daughters, toy cooking implements to use on their toy stove. A set of strainers came with the set. I grabbed them before they even saw them. I had them for years. Then when they outgrew that stage of growing up, I confiscated their tiny rolling pin. Perfect for rolling the filling in the corners of the pan. I still have it. The handles have fallen off, but it still serves its purpose. My daughter saw it one day and couldn't believe I still have it. I hang on to our memories.

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions - the one about the garlic press is particularly creative - I'd never have thought of that :chef:.

But I do think a spoon-sized sieve would be useful in certain liquidy situations, and I am amazed that they don't seem to exist. I am going to check out any toy kitchen sets when I see them - I seem to recall my daughter having an IKEA set that might have had a mini-sieve in it. Sadly she's 20 now, and all toys long thrown away.

Great community this, by the way - having found it, I've been reading with huge interest, and will definitely stick around. I've got lots of culinary problems that assail me, not being exactly a natural in the kitchen:rolleyes:. Burnt bits in my sauces are the least of my problems...

Does that come with 3 size strainer inserts? The picture looks like that but description doesn't state.

Im not sure I was just trying to find something that the OP would like. I did ask the question though and if anyone answers they will email me the results, I will get back to you!

Im not sure I was just trying to find something that the OP would like. I did ask the question though and if anyone answers they will email me the results, I will get back to you!

Thanks. They look nice.

Does that come with 3 size strainer inserts? The picture looks like that but description doesn't state.
Ok that went well... not... I'm impatient so I called.
Did you mean the spinster sister sieve? NO, spelled it out
Ok, the shifter sister sieve? NO, spelled it out
Okgit it,,, um, I think it comes with 3 but I'm not sure, but I'm almost positive it does!
Thanks.. I'll wait for a purchaser to answer

Ok that went well... not... I'm impatient so I called.
Did you mean the spinster sister sieve? NO, spelled it out
Ok, the shifter sister sieve? NO, spelled it out
Okgit it,,, um, I think it comes with 3 but I'm not sure, but I'm almost positive it does!
Thanks.. I'll wait for a purchaser to answer

OY!! Lol ? Great customer service.

Back
Top Bottom