Stockpiling Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually I can't imagine anybody storing food using any system other than FIFO.

I use the same date marking system in my pantry too, and in fact on practically everything food related unless it's something like coffee filters which of course don't matter.

Using some sort of date marking is particularly important for spices, and for bottled items like sauces that you keep in your refrigerator. I've sometimes found items at the back of my fridge that were 3-5 years old! Needless to say I threw them out.
I think I will start marking the pantry and bottled items. It's a good idea. I mark leftovers and freezer items. I either mark the date as 2012-07-23 or just 2012-07, depending on my mood and what it is.

That's a good idea about marking what it is! I began doing that too after sometimes finding "freezer mysteries" where I had to defrost them to find out what they were. :)

I think I will start marking the pantry and bottled items. It's a good idea. I mark leftovers and freezer items. I either mark the date as 2012-07-23 or just 2012-07, depending on my mood and what it is.
I implemented that system with my parents pantry and freezer a few years ago. Anything that is marked the previous year/July - August, I either use up or get rid of. My parents are hoarders.

Yup. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons), and we do try to keep a stockpile of food essentials around in case of things like drought, blizzards, hurricanes, and other disasters, natural, or man-made. It just makes sense. Originally, we were advised to keep a two year supply of food, water, and fuel. As that is very difficult for many, the amount has been reduced.

Foods to keep are things like rice, wheat, dried legumes, honey, sugar, freeze-dried, or dehydrated foods, seasonings, etc. We are also advised to plant and keep gardens, and can the foods we grow, if possible.

Way too many things can disrupt the food supply. It just makes sense. I have some foods, but not what I should have. My garden is doing very well right now, and so I am starting to purchase canning supplies, and enjoying the fruits of my early labor.

The idea of stockpiling is to give yourself a nutritious cache of food for emergencies that is worth eating. It doesn't need to be gourmet, but has to be good enough to eat for a good period of time.

I personally know of several people, including me and my family, who have lived off of food storage when between jobs (such as when i was out fresh out of the Navy, living in Spokane, with no jobs available during the recession of 82/83). You never know when the unexpected can rise up and hit you. It's a good idea.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Work opportunities have been very sporadic since fall 2007. If it weren't for the gardens (and the hens), I would have been using the food bank. I eat well, but I don't spend a lot at the grocery store each week. I don't shop to make a recipe, I cook based on what I have on hand. I replenish the fresh stuff--milk, butter, etc., as needed and always stockpile butter when it is on special.

I have a magnetic "white" board on the door of the upright freezer where I list what is in the freezer and wipe off the items as I use them. That helps, plus I don't have to open the freezer door and let cool escape while I search for one food or another.

I have a magnetic "white" board on the door of the upright freezer where I list what is in the freezer and wipe off the items as I use them. That helps, plus I don't have to open the freezer door and let cool escape while I search for one food or another.
I just use a white board marker on the freezer itself...works for me except when I don't label what goes in (or I get stuff from friends who move!).

I keep my frozen items in categories, separated into different milk crates. I have one for beef, chicken, pork, fish and miscellaneous items. Its easy to pull them out and root around and see what's in there. I can empty my freezer in about 15 seconds.. then put everything back just as quick and easy.

Rocklobster said:
I keep my frozen items in categories, separated into different milk crates. I have one for beef, chicken, pork, fish and miscellaneous items. Its easy to pull them out and root around and see what's in there. I can empty my freezer in about 15 seconds.. then put everything back just as quick and easy.

My mom does the same thing :)

I might just copy that idea.

I use bins on the shelves of my freezer too. Beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc. But then there are the spaces in between that have to be filled. That space gets containers of sauce, soup, bacon. That's when it gets messy.

When SO does a lot of baking, especially around the holidays, chaos ensues. baked goods are delicate and take a lot of space so they get crammed in whichever bin or corner is available.

The idea of using bins is a great one. The execution is not so great.

I was listening to a local talk show today. The topic was the drought and how this might translate at the grocery store. Because the corn production is forecast to be 30% of what it normally would be, and because of the drought, honey is going to be going up in price. Nothing for the bees to eat=no honey produced (garlic, on the other hand, is loving this weather--garlic harvest is 2 weeks early). Less corn syrup available means that sugar will also be going up in price. Two products I hadn't thought of buying now. I did pick up cornstarch today. Unfortunately, I heard this program on my way home, not my way to the store.

I was sitting out front with some of the residents. I mentioned that anything that is corn or has corn in it, is going to skyrocket in price. I got "Oh, prices are going to go up anyhow. Nothing you can do about it. Those are just scare tactics." I just sat there amazed. How do you deal with folks like that? My comment started a conversation about food. It seems that some folks will only buy the most expensive name brands.

For those of us here that receive food stamps we pretty much get the same amount. When I mentioned that I very rarely use all of mine each month, they were surprised. They just barely make it through to the middle of the month. This month I spent less than half of mine at the store on the third of the month. Since then, I may have had to spend maybe another ten dollars. For half and half, or some can good I may need. Because they roll over, on the first of June I will have more than $200 in my food stamp account. So since prices are going to be rising, this would be a good time for me to start stocking up. I will have the food stamps and will stock up on household goods.

Those are cash items. Son #1 has a contractors account at Home Depot and buys me what I need on his account. The items are industrial strength and come in larger sizes than what you find at the grocery store. I would normally buy a box of 20 large green trash can liners at the grocery store. My son buys me 100 for almost the same price. He picks up a five gallon jug of bleach and fills the empty gallon jug for me from it. Sometimes we split a purchase between us. This month I need a large fabric softener. Another five gallon purchase. Each month I buy one household item at Home Depot. Because most items I buy there are industrial strength, I use less of it each time and it lasts longer.

I also was talking to the woman that runs the Food Bank at the church. They usually get about 15 people. This past week they got more than 30. So I am going to increase my donation also. An extra large box of cereal. A lot of the families had children. It is harder to feed a family in the summer. The kids are out of school, thus no free breakfast or lunch. I can't stand the thought of a child going hungry. :)

Last edited:
I use bins on the shelves of my freezer too. Beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc. But then there are the spaces in between that have to be filled. That space gets containers of sauce, soup, bacon. That's when it gets messy.

When SO does a lot of baking, especially around the holidays, chaos ensues. baked goods are delicate and take a lot of space so they get crammed in whichever bin or corner is available.

The idea of using bins is a great one. The execution is not so great.
My freezer still gets messy. Sometimes you don't feel like pulling the milk crates out to put things in their proper places so you lie to yourself and say "I'll just put this here for now and sort it out later" Sooner than later, things get cluttered. But, at least the majority of stuff is where it should be most of the time...

I also was talking to the woman that runs the Food Bank at the church. They usually get about 15 people. This past week they got more than 30. So I am going to increase my donation also. An extra large box of cereal. A lot of the families had children. It is harder to feed a family in the summer. The kids are out of school, thus no free breakfast or lunch. I can't stand the thought of a child going hungry. :)
That surprises me (that the food bank has a higher demand during the summer), and saddens me. With the ability to plant a garden, food costs during the summer months should be much lower than during the winter months and it is heartbreaking that families with children aren't able to do that (live in apartments, don't have the space, money for seeds, etc.). I spent the whole day processing Chard, beans, and bok choy. And, I collected 14 eggs. And, I have invited friends with kids to come out and gather eggs, pick beans, etc.

That surprises me (that the food bank has a higher demand during the summer), and saddens me. With the ability to plant a garden, food costs during the summer months should be much lower than during the winter months and it is heartbreaking that families with children aren't able to do that (live in apartments, don't have the space, money for seeds, etc.). I spent the whole day processing Chard, beans, and bok choy. And, I collected 14 eggs. And, I have invited friends with kids to come out and gather eggs, pick beans, etc.

Folks who receive food stamps can purchase seeds as long as they are for food items. We have a community garden, but it is way down at the end of Eastie and not easy to get to. It is overseen by the Y. Like you said, if you live in an apartment, most landlords won't let you plant a garden in the backyard. They want the yard for relaxing. We have what we refer to as 'triple deckers'. They are stand alone buildings. They are apartments that have anywhere from three to as many as six rooms each. They stand alone and in the back of the building is a small yard. Usually, the landlord lives in one of the apartments. Most often on the second floor. The first floor has the least rooms. The landlord has all the rights to the yard. Some triple deckers have back porches and you can have container gardens. These triple deckers were built in the late 1800's. The back porches are made of wood and are now crumbling. So a lot of them have been removed and replaced with iron fire escapes. :)

I am seriously considering stockpiling some food items for the coming winter. With the drought in Eastern Canada and some of the US, you can bet the food prices will rise. I am thinking flour, cornmeal, beef, chicken for sure. Maybe canola oil. Anything else be affected by the drought?

Anything made with or depending on corn or soybeans.

Rocklobster said:

I use a similar system, but I use the reusable woven shopping bags. I never have to worry about finding stuff in the bottom of the freezer because everything is in bags. If I need chicken, I grab the chicken bag, beef, etc... I have a smaller deep freeze so this works well, I could see the crates working well in a larger one.

Seeing as there is likely to be a price drop when herds are slaughtered because of lack of corn, I will be keeping a Sharp eye out for sales. I am going to try to fill my freezer good and full, before the prices spike.

I have been making up my grocery list for the next month. To be honest, I can't think of anything that I need to stockpile up on. I have plenty of sugar, coffee, frozen veggies, cooking supplies, (oil, flour, etc.). The only thing I really need to stock up on is butter. Plus I have the problem of having room to stockpile. Maybe when I get to the supermarket I will see things that I didn't think of when making up my list. I don't use that many can goods. Mostly tomato products. And I have plenty of them. So I have somewhat of a dilemma. I want to stockpile while I have the opportunity, I just don't know which direction to go in.

Any suggestions? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom