Strawberry Souffle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Wasn't sure what catagory this should be posted under. Perhaps a topic for souffles, flans, and mousse?

Souffles have a special place in my cooking heart and strawberries are always a treat, for me. So... A while back I watched a cooking demo with Wolfgang making a strawberry souffle in a convection oven. Missed the whole presentation and would love a recipe. Anyone have a recipe to share? TIA

From FOOD TV

recipe_summary_bottom.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
4 drops vanilla extract
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 egg whites
1 pinch salt
1 cup cubed sponge cake
6 fresh strawberries
6 mint leavesPlace the frozen strawberries in a pot with the water, 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 drops of vanilla extract. Bring to a high boil. Turn off heat and cover with a lid. In the meantime, bring the milk to a simmer with 2 drops of vanilla extract. Place the egg yolks in a bowl, add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and whisk well until it becomes pale in color, then add the sifted flour and cornstarch. Pour the hot milk over the egg mixture slowly to temper, then place everything back in the pot. Cook on medium heat while mixing until it thickens. Transfer to another bowl and cover with a plastic film, let cool.
When the strawberries are thawed and slightly melted, remove the lid from the pot, put the flame on high and cook off the water until it becomes a thick puree, reserve and let cool.
When they are both cooled, mix the pastry cream and the strawberry puree together.
Prepare the souffle mold by buttering the inside and then coating with sugar. Make sure not to touch the inside once it's coated with sugar or the souffle batter will stick. Set aside until needed.
Place the egg whites in a bowl, add a small pinch of salt and beat up until it gets fluffy and white, add half the sugar. Whisk until it becomes very stiff but not too stiff and grainy. Add the remaining sugar and mix well. Fold the egg whites in a white pastry cream mixture delicately until well incorporated.
Place half the souffle batter in the buttered/sugared oven-proof dish, then the cubed sponge cakes and finish with the remaining souffle batter on top. Place the whole dish in another oven-proof pan filled with hot water (this is called the bain-marie cooking method).
Place in a preheated 400 degree oven and cook until the souffle rises and its top becomes slightly brown (approximately 10 to 15 minutes. The inside should still be slightly undercooked.) Remove and serve immediately. Decorate with fresh strawberries and a mint leaf. It is a good idea to serve with a strawberry or a vanilla sauce.

Looks LUSCIOUS, pds! I must look into that vanilla sauce. Beautiful recipe. Thank you!

Wanted to bump this up again. pds, the recipe does look yummy. What I am still hoping to find is a strawberry souffle, where several egg whites are beaten and the mixture is poured into a souffle dish/ramekins and puffs up to a light airy dish. I have made cheese souffles, etc. but don't know how it would translate/puff up with strawberries. Any T & T recipes out there? TIA

Hi Mish, I have not made a strawberry souffle using the technique you outlined but have made a raspberry souffle. My friend and I pretty much winged the recipe because we were in a mood but I must say it came out fab.

Here is how we made it.

1 packet frozen raspberries. We cooked them with a cup of water and some sugar. Then strained it to get rid of the seeds and we were left with a rich red sauce of raspberries.
Next we took 4 eggs and seperated them. Whites and yolks.
We then beat the yolks until they were nice and frothy and mixed them with the raspberry sauce. We adjusted sugar to our liking.
We chilled our Kitchenaid mixing bowl in the freezer while we were prepping the raspberries.
We removed the cold bowl and then beat the egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar powder until they were nice and stiff.
We took a quarter of the egg whites and mixed that rigorously with the yolk, raspberry mixture and then slowly folden the rest so the airy feeling would be there.
Next we took individual souffle cups and butter them on the bottom and all on the sides. Then we put sugar in the bowls and then dusted the excess out. We then carefully ladeled the souffle mixture and baked it in the oven until they puffed up. They cook in like 15-20 mins. I think we baked ours at 350.

While it was baking we quickly made slightly sweetend whip cream with some vanilla and confectioners sugar.

We ate the souffle hot with the cool whip cream. Both of us were so proud of our accomplishment because it truly was better than what you expect at a restaurant and certainly looked better than even on television.

We had also made a creme brulee that night so we were savoring these two absolutely yummy and decadant dessert.

The souffle was extremely light and it almost disappated in the mouth while the creme brulee was creamy and crunchy with the sugar.

I am sure you can substitute strawberry with raspberry but I recommend that latter.

Hi Yakuta. Thank you. That is similar to the method and dish I was thinking of. Do you think I could just put the berries in a blender, rather than cooking them with water? Can I forgo straining them or will the seeds inhibit the souffle from puffing up? Thanks again. Also, just remembered, I don't put a collar on mine. It puffs up like a mushroom, but still tastes and looks good to me. I agree, souffles seem to almost melt in the mouth... sort of like eating a cloud :)

Last edited:
Hi Mish, yes I would think you can blend it. I think we just wanted to cook the raspberries and sugar a bit especially because they were frozen and that was a quick way to thaw them.

I don't think the seeds in the strawberries would avoid the souffle from rising. I think it's all about texture. If you like it smooth you may want to strain the pulp. If you don't care you leave it in. For raspberries I definitely would get rid of the seeds because they are more pronounced than strawberries.

We also did not use a collar and ours puffed up perfect. I think it's important to butter and sugar because that is what it uses to gain height while baking.

Goodluck, I think it will come out great.

Back
Top Bottom