Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew someone who ironed bed sheets years ago. She is confined to a mental hospital now. Her family and friends (including me) tried to intervene, but she just kept on ironing bed sheets.

CD :D

I bet the hospital has nice crisp sheets...

Another memory is mom using Fels-Naptha laundry soap. I think they still sell it today. I love the smell of it.
They still sell the bars of soap. I keep one on hand in case a patch of poison ivy and I meet up. As long as I wash up soon after, I don't have to worry about breaking out in hives.

I haven't bought any soap in at least fifteen years. I travel so much, I have a year's worth of hotel soap in a cabinet in my master bathroom. That is in addition to the hotel soaps I give to charities.

On that subject, when you stay in a hotel, take the un-opened soap you don't use. It's yours, you paid for it, it is not stealing. There are charities that will get it to people in need. Don't take the towels, that would be stealing -- and the hotel will charge your credit card double what they paid for the towels.

CD

The washing machines with the wringers on top - yes you could! I have had very close calls with them. Heard many more stories of people who did get caught but there was a safety feature that would pop the rollers apart under certain circumstances. Have to say it was pure adrenalin that enabled me to save my fingers! :LOL: We still have one up at the cottage.

I did google the Mangles and they look almost exactly like what we had but ours a little more modern, this would have been mid or early fifties. I supposed you could steam roll your fingers in the one we had but I was very determined not to! I don't remember much more about it but I felt very "grown up" using it! :angel:

The washing machines with the wringers on top - yes you could! I have had very close calls with them. Heard many more stories of people who did get caught but there was a safety feature that would pop the rollers apart under certain circumstances. Have to say it was pure adrenalin that enabled me to save my fingers! :LOL: We still have one up at the cottage.

I grew up with a wringer washer on the back porch and was taught to use it well before I was 10. The thing scared the heck out of me but, I did as I was told...

Ross

I grew up with a wringer washer on the back porch and was taught to use it well before I was 10. The thing scared the heck out of me but, I did as I was told...

Ross
My great-grandmother had one in her basement (in Michigan). She showed me how it worked, but by the time I came along, this farm wife had an electric washer and dryer.

My great-grandmother had one in her basement (in Michigan). She showed me how it worked, but by the time I came along, this farm wife had an electric washer and dryer.

Yup, yup..

I recall going out to the porch with a basket of laundry and whispering, "Please don't hurt me", to the machine.. :LOL:

My mom wasn't too keen on me doing it but, my grandfather was military and he and grandmother wanted me to be a man and do my chores, even laundry.. :wacko: :ROFLMAO:

My parents had one when I was small..I remember my mother shrieking any time we went near it..She always told us a story of some cousin we never knew who was playing with one and ended up getting severely disfigured. Scare tactics...it worked..

Yep, I wasn't allowed on the back porch when Mama was using the wringer washer. I had long braids to my waist as a little girl and there was a story about a little girl like me who was scalped.

Another memory is mom using Fels-Naptha laundry soap. I think they still sell it today. I love the smell of it.

Remember the wire soap saver for hand washing delicate items in the kitchen sink or the grater for making laundry soap flakes.

With the soap saver you put a chunk of soap in the cage and swished it around in a sink full of hot water to make a few bubbles. My grandmother used to put all of the small scraps of ivory soap bars in it and use them to wash dishes. The good old days! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

dfb50278750e3d707cf220ee4a7b54c1.jpg

I had long braids to my waist as a little girl and there was a story about a little girl like me who was scalped.

I got the same story from my Mom.

It's funny but I don't remember actually using my Mom's, nor where it was located in any of our homes. But I remember my Grandma's in the dark scary basement which she used right up until her death in the late 60's.

Aunt Bea that 'soap saver' sure looks like a miniature open-fire popcorn popper without the bottom tray.

I remember my Mom explaining how to grate for the flakes but don't remember seeing it.

JoAnnL when we moved to Europe my father fell in love with a Norwegian or Swedish hard cheese that looked exactly like FelsNaptha. Non of us liked it and we used to call it Naptha Soap cheese!

AND - You sure hit the Memory Button in all of our brains with this post!

I have vague memories of the wringer washer in Grandma's house...or maybe it was a wringer that was attached to the end of the sink unit. Anybody remember one of those? Anyway, there are pictures of me sitting near it.

LOL - yes Princess, I remember them - not sure where from - maybe just from a black and white Charlie Chaplin type film?

I have an iron :LOL: and actually used it over the Christmas holiday to iron a tablecloth and napkins. Other than that, it's pretty much wash and wear for my clothes. For fussy blouses and slacks that require any special care, I hardly ever wear them in the first place and when I do I just take them to the cleaners...lol :angel::D

I have an iron :LOL: and actually used it over the Christmas holiday to iron a tablecloth and napkins. Other than that, it's pretty much wash and wear for my clothes. For fussy blouses and slacks that require any special care, I hardly ever wear them in the first place and when I do I just take them to the cleaners...lol :angel::D

Don't be embarrassed about that. I have an iron and ironing board, but it is just for emergencies, and I use it to iron "props" that will be in a photoshoot.

My dressy shirts and pants go to the cleaners, even if they don't need dry cleaning. I don't want to mess with it, and besides, they do a better job than I can.

CD

Don't be embarrassed about that. I have an iron and ironing board, but it is just for emergencies, and I use it to iron "props" that will be in a photoshoot.

My dressy shirts and pants go to the cleaners, even if they don't need dry cleaning. I don't want to mess with it, and besides, they do a better job than I can.

CD

My thoughts exactly! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom