Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The subject of Bento came up in the dinner thread. I decided to look up the word and see its etymology. I checked for it in Wiktionary. I learned something new and kind of cute. The name for the menu icon that is nine dots arranged in a square is "bento". I have been using that icon in Gmail forever. I didn't know it had a name.

The name for the menu icon that is nine dots arranged in a square is "bento". I have been using that icon in Gmail forever. I didn't know it had a name.
This is where I must admit to have not only never noticed it, but had the surprise of my life [OK, slight exaggeration there] when I just had a look and clicked on it!

Are you two talking about over on the right hand side near the top? When you clic on it all the google apps show up?
I do have a gmail acc. and my phone loads to it's cloud then I download but other than that I rarely use my google acc except for some (food) blogs I follow (sort'a, sometimes, off'n on, when I remember to look).

I use the Google bento menu mostly to get to my pix and to get to my calendar.
I've got those [and other necessary things] pinned to the task bar at the bottom of my monitor. And most of the things that bento menu brings up wouldn't be of any use to me. At least I don't think they would!
Are you two talking about over on the right hand side near the top? When you clic on it all the google apps show up?
I do have a gmail acc. and my phone loads to it's cloud then I download but other than that I rarely use my google acc except for some (food) blogs I follow (sort'a, sometimes, off'n on, when I remember to look).
I use my gmail a/c for various things, but I do have other email a/cs for other things. Same as I use different browsers for different things, although most are on Firefox, and as my gmail a/c comes up on Firefox, it's always there when I need it.

Mostly.

But I don't think I dare admit as to how many windows I've got open, or how many tabs on each window...

I once complained to my son (works in IT) that my computer was running slow.
His reply... when was the last time you shut down the computer?
My reply... don't know, don't want to lose the tabs I have open.
MOM! give the poor thing a break before it crashes on you! It needs to sleep once in a while
Oh Wow, was soo fast the next day! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I've got those [and other necessary things] pinned to the task bar at the bottom of my monitor. And most of the things that bento menu brings up wouldn't be of any use to me. At least I don't think they would!

I use my gmail a/c for various things, but I do have other email a/cs for other things. Same as I use different browsers for different things, although most are on Firefox, and as my gmail a/c comes up on Firefox, it's always there when I need it.

Mostly.

But I don't think I dare admit as to how many windows I've got open, or how many tabs on each window...
I use Google pix for my photos. They automagically backup to there from my phone's camera. It's how I get them onto my computer. I don't have anymore real estate in my FF tool bar:

1675802718341.png

or at the bottom of my monitor.

1675803488348.png

I use Google for spreadsheets that I might want away from home, for maps. for contacts (synced with my phone), Translate, ... I use Google for a lot, but not for searching. I use DuckDuckGo for searching.

I have three bars across the top of my monitor. Tab bar, tool bar, and bookmarks menu bar. Each one has what I've put on it. The task bar at the bottom also has what I've put on it.

Trial and error, and I've made more than enough of the latter, but considering I wasn't taught how to use a computer, I don't think I've done too badly. My first computer was built for me in March 2004 and I watched my computer guy install it - install Thunderbird for my IP emails and Firefox for my browser. And I said to him fine, how do I switch the thing on and off?!

It took me two weeks before I dared send an email but once I got started I found out how to find things, and learned from there.

I killed that computer eight months later. It was a very large computer and it sat on the floor under my table, and as I reversed my chair one day the side of one of the footrests caught on the front corner of the computer. The front pulled off. The side came off.

And the on/off button flew across the room, hit the wall, and fell down behind the couch.

So he had to build me a new one - a smaller box this time, which fitted on one of the shelves on the bookshelf my table is up against.

I once complained to my son (works in IT) that my computer was running slow.
His reply... when was the last time you shut down the computer?
My reply... don't know, don't want to lose the tabs I have open.
MOM! give the poor thing a break before it crashes on you! It needs to sleep once in a while
Oh Wow, was soo fast the next day! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Ask him to teach you how to save a set of tabs and open them all up again when you restart your computer ?

Yeah, thanks GG, I should and I actually saw somewhere a way to do that, but I was on the trail of something else and never read it. :rolleyes: Of course, was too lazy to try and find it again.

Thought popped up from comments on another thread.

Why do people, when referring to something, use initials or initialism, and then proceed to spell out the words in brackets? If you're going to do that why bother with the initials?

Thought popped up from comments on another thread.

Why do people, when referring to something, use initials or initialism, and then proceed to spell out the words in brackets? If you're going to do that why bother with the initials?
I might do that, if I intend to use the initials later in the post. I also often do it with "EVOO", because most people here know what it means, but a lot of people are unfamiliar with the term and I want them to have an idea what people mean when they write "EVOO", here or elsewhere.

I do both with something new so readers will learn it. e.g. (for example) SV (sous vide). Now most people know this so I usually just write SV.

Each night as I'm going to sleep, I think of whatever I plan on doing the next day. Then "the next day" arrives, and I usually end up doing a whole lot of nothing. :(

I think as I drift off to sleep tonight I'll plan on doing nothing tomorrow...:unsure:

Back
Top Bottom