Sunday, Sunday...dinner 6-11-2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Hot like Hades means cool in the kitchen. I'm making Ina Garten's Panzanella Salad with a few minor alterations. I'll use half a cucumber, 1/4 red onion, and bump up the peppers using one each of the four common colors (red, orange, yellow, green). Himself really likes this, which surprises the heck out of me. Since I'm sneaking it in early, we might end up having it again this summer. Then again, peppers on sale for $1.49 a pound ($1.29 for green) would make this appealing any time of year. :LOL:

What are you plating up today?

Egg salad sammies with diced jalapeno, sliced tomatoesv and Bacon. A little sloppy, next time I'm loading these in Hot Dog buns. Rhubarb crisp with ice cream for later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm defrosting some chicken thighs I'll grill as the temperature is in the 90s today. A salad will complete the meal.

Scallop crudo/ceviche, with orange, lime, lemon juices, habanero, and a hint of garlic. There are alsp drops of annatto oil, that's the really orangey liquid. OMG, this was so good. The scallops were just as sweet as they could be. I could have eaten all of my share of the scallops like this and been a very happy camper.

p5CtjvcRU6uNZ7wV6FE-LhCgjWJdAyBb3RlmbRnHfvApX92IB

Scallops on corn cakes with a red bell pepper sauce. The corncakes were supposed to be made out of blue cornmeal, but we couldn't find any, and certainly weren't going to pass up those beautiful scallops.

w1-iLDdy5-xEqKrFntC8Yz0wh9Y7e5xyQSgi3_DaSuEpX92IB

These were both Norman Van Aken recipes.

Last edited:
I'm having my gluten-free buffalo wings and TB is having me try the same marinade & sauce for his thighs. Sides will be Caesar salad (mine with avocado and his with bacon) and potato wedges.

Sunday, Sunday

Hot like Hades means cool in the kitchen. I'm making Ina Garten's Panzanella Salad with a few minor alterations. I'll use half a cucumber, 1/4 red onion, and bump up the peppers using one each of the four common colors (red, orange, yellow, green). Himself really likes this, which surprises the heck out of me. Since I'm sneaking it in early, we might end up having it again this summer. Then again, peppers on sale for $1.49 a pound ($1.29 for green) would make this appealing any time of year. :LOL:

What are you plating up today?

I just got back from my green grocer (aka Sprouts) and they had Red, Orange and Yellow Peppers for $0.77/lb and I thought that was kinda on the spendy side for this area. :shrug:

Dinner tonight was on the grill

001.JPG

B/S Chicken Thighs with my housemade Greek Seasoning mix
Fresh Green Beans (steamed in the micro) tossed with EVOO and granulated Garlic and some S&P
A grilled fresh Peach for myself and fresh Tomatoes from my BUSH for DH
and grilled Zucchini for us both

Meh, didn't really care for the Peach
(we just got back from the San Joaquin Valley, visiting my Mother and brought back a flat-about 20 pounds-of Peaches and Nectarines...I'll take them plain thanks)
004.JPG
:yum:
Summer at it's best IMHO anyways

Cold here today...well, at least for June in the desert. 68F here now at 5:30. I heated up a container of split pea soup that I had tossed in the freezer a couple of months ago and had that, with a couple of cherry tomatoes and a slice of toasted rye bread for sides. Hit the spot. :yum:

Kgirl, welcome back!:) Beautiful fruit. I had planned to hit the farmstand today, but the wind has been blowing like crazy and I didn't feel like going out.

Good looking and sounding dinners here today, everyone. :yum:

Last edited:
Just a simple garden salad with romaine, cherry tomatoes, and shrooms, dressed with some EVOO and vinegar and fresh cracked pepper.

I lost another five pounds of hospital IV weight -- I'm starting to see ankles, again -- and my BP is 107/65.

CD

I just got back from my green grocer (aka Sprouts) and they had Red, Orange and Yellow Peppers for $0.77/lb and I thought that was kinda on the spendy side for this area....
Well fine, stick a fork in my happiness and let the air out of my "deal". :cry: The non-green peppers by us are usually $2.49 to $2.99 a pound...or more, at some stores. The one smaller non-chain store I'll go to on occasion often sells what they call "suntan peppers" for 99 cents or less. Works for me!

Nice to know you have ankles, CD. I know I have them mostly because they often ache. :LOL: Isn't that BP a bit low, though? Don't pass out!

We'll be having the Panzanella tomorrow. I forgot we had to drop my car off at the dealer's for a recall service job. On the way both Himself and I spotted one of our favorite clam shacks. While we were driving back home, we decided that since we were in the neighborhood...

Split a clam strip dinner, plus got a small side of onion rings (it wasn't small) and an extra order, small size, of clam strips. Nope, not small either. We now have as much left over as we started out with, except for the small cup of coleslaw. Of course we had to have ice cream, too. One scoop each - butter pecan for him, coconut for her. (The ice cream might account for some of the leftovers...)

I broiled some B/S chicken breasts and thighs when I first got up yesterday, and made some mac&cheese before it got hot. We had that for lunch and supper - lunch had green beans, supper had a tossed salad. Still had some left, so may have them for lunch or supper today, not sure yet.

We smoked some pork butt yesterday - dee-licious! I cut it into thick slices to expose more surface area to the smoke.

Served it with homemade barbecue sauce, pasta salad, pickled apples and watermelon. Perfect for this really hot day.
0611171814_HDR.jpg
0611171820a_HDR.jpg
0611172021a_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom