Sup? 12/19/20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
My house smells divine with a pot roast in the slow cooker...added carrots from the garden and home canned caramelized onions and green chile sauce. Will serve with mashed potatoes. We'll get to eat the whole thing this time. I usually make this for vegetable beef soup, but have plenty of that in the freezer.

What are you fixing?

Damp, cold and crappy here. Thought comfort food would be the best thing to have on the menu.

So...tonight we'll have Mrs. Schneider's Giant Meatballs and Gravy. I have no idea who she was but I thank her for her recipe. Have had it since my children were small. The youngest one is 46, so it's been enjoyed for a while.

The meatballs are, yes, giant. I use a large ice cream dipper to shape them. Much easier than trying to eyeball the size.

We have some leftover wild rice from last night, so that will be the gravy sloppin' side. Some of the coconut macaroons I made a few days ago for dessert.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

MRS. SCHNEIDER’S GIANT MEATBALLS AND GRAVY
(Serves 6)

Meatballs:
1½ lbs. ground beef
1 cup homemade breadcrumbs
1 medium onion, minced
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup milk (about)
2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening

Gravy:
½ lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup strained beef stock or broth
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. basil
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to
taste

Combine beef, onion, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic, and add enough milk to moisten – no more than ½ cup. Mix thoroughly and with wet hands form into meatballs about the size of an orange. Brown in 2 tablespoons shortening, turning to color on all sides. Remove and pour off grease, but leave brown bits in pan.
Next, to make gravy, melt butter in same pan and sauté mushrooms. When lightly colored, sprinkle with flour, slowly add beef stock, stirring to scrape up all browned pieces. Add tomato sauce and seasonings. Simmer until thickened. Return meatballs to pan and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove cover and simmer for another 5 minutes, basting several times to coat meatballs.

Spot prawn and scallop ravioli with a Pernod cream sauce. I have enough ravioli left in the freezer for 2 more meals.

Attachments

• 20201219_181208.jpg
    20201219_181208.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 87
My house doesn't smell divine, it just smells.:LOL::LOL:

63CC87C8-81EC-49B5-B47B-DA2D63ACD6D0_1_105_c.jpg

Sous vide pork tenderloin finished in my CI skillet, Mexican rice and butternut squash.

I made Chef John's Italian bean and sausage soup. That is a really tasty, very filling meal. I served it with some slices of whole wheat baguette, Parm for grating on top, some EVOO to dress it. It was supposed to be white beans, but I accidentally opened one can of white beans and one of black beans. It changes the appearance, but doesn't change the flavour by much, if any. I used rainbow chard instead of kale. I made up some Italian sausage, no casing, ahead of time to use for this.

Attachments

• PXL_20201219_234708073.jpg
    PXL_20201219_234708073.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20201219_234410802.jpg
    PXL_20201219_234410802.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom