Tailoring Textures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Something we don't talk about much, but bears our attention. When we present foods, we talk about making them look and taste great. But what about the texture. Are the mashed potatoes too dry, or too runny? Is the meat stringy? And what about the beverage? Will it leave your mouth filled with gummy mucous, or will it leave you puckered?

Texture is another part of cooking that requires careful thought and preperation. When presenting a meal, ballance the textures as well as the flavors, nutrients, and colors.

I find that milk has a wonderful flavor that compliments savory dishes, especially foods like pasta with a rich tomato sauce, or a steak that's been lightly salted and peppered. It goes well with deep-green veggies. But it isn't as great with very sweet dishes, like pancakes and syrup. It leaves the mouth filmy. Surprisingly, it does go very well with ice-cream, or even helps cut the powerful flavor of a rich shake.

On the other hand, a dry beverage can help ballance a desert, or a sweet entre. It can enhance delicate textured dish, like a moose or chiffon. But it can also leave you feeling the need for a gallon of water if served with something very tart or dry, like orderves served on crackers.

And what about meat, do you want it stringy like shredded beef, great for tacos, or smooth and tender like a perfect pork roast? And what about ground beef? For pasties and meat pies we tend to use very coarse and lean ground beef, while hamburgers are better with a medium grind, and about 15 to 20% fat.

Clearly, texture is important in our foods. So chime in with your ideas of perfect textures for given meals. Include veggies, mashed veggies, fruits, meats, and things like cakes, quickbreads, puddings, pies, etc. And let us know how you achieve the perfect texture for the dish or ingredient.

To that end, I open this discussion.

I'll start.

Potato chowder.

Coarsely grate one whole medium white rose potato. Dice a second potatoe into 1/4 inch cubes. Place all in a pan with 1/2 tsp. salt. Just bearely cover with water and cook until the grated potato begins to thicken the mixture.

At this point, add just a touch of granulated onion and garlic. The potato cubes are still undercooked and so won't be mushed while stiring the cooked grated potato. Add 1/4 cup of cream, and 1 tbs. coffee creamer. Continue stiring until the graded potato is blended into the liquid. Remove from heat and let sit for about five more minutes. Add two tbs. butter and stir in. Serve as is.

This method gives you a chowder that is thck and satisfying, while retaining a graininess that is not unpleasant. It isn't the classic smooth and creamy chowder we are all used to, but has more of a rough, less refined texture that reminds one of a rustic farmhouse. I added some freshly chopped pork to this soup and peppered it in my bowl, as my wife doesn't like pepper. The result was a wonderfully ballanced but strong potato flavor, with more texture than is normal for this type of chowder. It was really very good. I believe it has the best flavor I've ever made for potato chowder. The experiment was an unqualified success. I will be making this again. :mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'll have to think about that for awhile....

I do have to say though that I love a cold glass
of milk with my pancakes.

i love milk too!:-p. i drink whole milk. delicious.
as for textures in foods, that has got to be my biggest thing with food. textures are of the utmost importance to me.
to emphasize a little, i like most of my veggies to be really crisp. just cooked a little bit. (the only exceptions i can think of are canned peas and carrots. taters, too, of course.)
i also like contrasts in texture. like creamy and crunchy all at once (as in an ice cream cone or a bowl of chowder with oyster crackers). i always toss something crunchy into my soup. cheese curls or chips or crackers.
or i like something like crisp lettuce with crunchy pecans, creamy bleu cheese and chewy dried cranberries.
i like the crunchiness of toast with the contrast of yummy,
melty butter.
i love textural differences. i think that's what makes the meal what it is.:)

I'm usually not a fan of foods with a lot of crunch to them, but I find that meals combining lots of texture are excellent.

Chips and salsa comes to mind. The salsa is squishy with a bit of solidity and the chips are crispy. Add some beer to that, and you've got squish, crunch, and fizzy all in one easy sampling :)

TheLemonSon; Great textural prose. I could almost feel everything in my mouth. Another incredible mouth-feel for me is the combination of hot & cold at the same time. Think hot chocolate with a scoof of ice cream.

What about veggies? How do you make them creamy smooth, or get that just right soft-crunch, or some combinations?

Come on people, give it up. I want all of your ideas. I know what I like. I want to know what you like.

Is your favorite bread moist, light, and soft? Or is it somewhat tough, and a bit chewey, just waiting for a bowl of hot soup or aujus?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I love my gazpacho chunky. I just put all my veggies through the big-hole disk of my KA meat grinder attachment - that's the way I like it. If someone prefers theirs smoother I just whip out my blender wand.

Black Bean Soup is kind of a different thing. I like to blend it up really well then hidden under the soup is a layer of monteray jack cheese and spring onions and then under that is well-packed white rice - I top the black bean soup with home made pico di gallo - you dip through all those layers, some smooth, some stringy, and then the soft rice - yum.

As far as bread - I want the soft white that sticks to the roof of your mouth for my tomato/mayo sandwiches - I want a chewy artisan bread, something like ciabatta with some goat cheeese, pesto and red peppers slathered on - or just dipped in oil and balsamic with a finely chopped basil leaves, parm, and kosher salt.

I like my potatoes with a few bites of potatoes in there but at Thanksgiving I want them silky smooth! To get that accomplished I add an egg yolk or two and a spoonful of mayonnaise. The egg yolk really fluffs it up.

But when I have a good ol' bring back the memories deli sandwich I want all sorts of meats, prosciutto, hard salami, mortadella, and some spicy brown mustard on a perfectly cooked kaiser roll - chewey on the outside and tender on the inside - sort of have to fight with it but not too much.

I want my mac and cheese creamy and plenty of cheese. Some recipes call for you to place everything in a casserole dish and them bake - nope, no way, not in our house - that makes the cheese really cheese soak in too much to the noodles - and we WANT that cheese to be plentiful and silky smooth. We've experimented with all sorts of cheeses - combinations of smoked gouda, fontina, sharp cheddar, hoop cheddar, plain gouda, jarlesburg I think - let's just say we have played around with this recipe and we were quite stunned to realize that the BEST is the ALL sharp cheddar with maybe a little fontina thrown in.

Now, after I've wrriten all this I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking GW! lol When you say you want creamy vegetables do you want them in a cheesesauce or a cassserole?

Last edited:
My bread machine makes bread that, when toasted, gives a delightful texture.

It gets hard only on the outside but the inside remains soft and chewey. I just made a wheat-beer-chive bread, and it is so delectable for textural reasons.
Pair it toasted with some cottage cheese and you basically get something that is hard to the touch, soft in your mouth but crunchy when you bite and the cottage cheese gives that that silky richness...its great with a really thick drink like for example coffee in the morning...

For the "Creamy Smooth" veggies, I was refering to creamed veggies with a smooth sauce, with either soft veggies, or slightly crunchy ones. Or it could also refer to a good cheese sauce that contrasts and compliments the flavor and texture of the veggies.

But what texture are you looking for in say, conrnbread, vs. pancakes? And how do you get that perfect texture.

I guess what I'm trying to do with thread is get everyone thinking about texture. How and why is it important, and more importantly, what is the proper texture for different foods and how do you achieve it? Also, how can we ballance textures on the plate? Is it a combination of textures that we crave, or something more homogenous?

There are a lot of self-proclaimed newbes on this site. Also, this discussion could help all of us plan more interesting meals.

That's what I'm going for. I think for those of us who have been doing it for a while, it becomes almost intuitive. But for our beginning cooks who haven't the years of experience, well let's just say there are no people that are born with all the answers. We all have been taught, or have learned our lessons through personal experience. So I'm thinking we can share some of that hard won cooking wisdom.

You're right - I really don't think about it - as far as pancakes I never make them - I'll have to give your recipe a try since it comes highly recommended.

GW, you propose a very good question for discussion but I think that if people asked for the technique of how to create specific textures for certain dishes, than it would be much easier to discuss, and people would have a better idea of a starting point to go with.

Because texture is all relative according to personal preference, it would be hard to pinpoint exactly what is the "proper" or "perfect" texture or consistency for a dish. What I like and what I think is the best way to do something won't necessarily be the best way for someone else. For example: I like my sauces to be rich in flavor, yet light in texture and composition. Because of that, I loathe (well, maybe "loathe" is too strong of a word) sauces that are thickened artificially, either through cornstarch, arrowroot, flour, etc. I reduce my sauces judiciously until the flavors are concentrated and complex, and I love how they flavor the food but don't take anything away from the meat, fish, etc. in texture because you don't have to smother the dish to get flavor from the sauce. I love how a properly reduced and flavored sauce can just barely coat a piece of food and yet still give off a lot of flavor. In general, I do not like a thick, gooey, gummy, etc. textured sauce at all. Don't get me wrong, there are times and places for those types of sauces but for as much as possible, I personally prefer otherwise.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Interesting topic.

Mashed potatoes must be smooth for me. If there are lumps, the kitchen goofed.

I never could climb onto the 'rustic" bandwagon-food in larger chunks rather than neatly diced. It always seemed to be a cop-out on doing the work needed to do a fine, uniform dice, mince or brunois.

I like thick soups. The kind you cannot see through (for coctails, I like those you CAN see through). I always puree half the beans in my black bean soup for the rich creamy texture that provides. I leave some beans whole so everyone knows what they're eating.

All of the above is most likely thanks to my mom, who took the time to make smooth mashed potatoes and neatly diced veggies. Maybe that's why I'm in finance, everything neat and orderly - no messes.

I grew up on mushy veggies but like them with a little 'tooth' now.

No lumps in my oatmeal, please!

Goodweed, I think you're talking about what Mario call's "mouth-feel".
It's why I cannot stand oatmeal or rice pudding. To me, it's slime with pieces in it. :sick:
Unlike Ironchef, I like flour based gravies as they aren't so greasy/buttery, and don't give me heartburn. They are also what I've grown up with. I'd rather use a well-seasoned white sauce than a butter/cream alfredo.
I even start my potato soup and clam chowder with a white sauce if sorts. I render out some bacon, sweat chopped onions or leaks and a little grated carrot in the grease, then add flour and half milk/half chicken broth or clam juice.
If I want crisp vegies, I eat them raw. I like my cooked ones to be tender, tho not cooked to mush.
I want my mashed potatoes CREAMY! Don't like lumps of any kind in them.
I drink skim milk with all my meals, unless I'm in a restaurant. Then I drink unsweetened iced tea with a wedge of lemon. Or sometimes a cold Bud Light.

Oh Constance, a woman after my own heart! I hate lumpy things too. If it is supposed to be creamy and it has lumps...EWW! Can't eat some yogurts because of that. And rice pudding is just *shudder*.

I have never been able to abide oatmeal!

Mashed potatoes at my house are riced first then beaten with milk (whole) and butter then sit quite nicely in the warming drawer for at least 20 minutes to get hot and they come out very very fluffy!

I agree that smooth dishes need to be really smooth.

You're right about combining textures though! Mouth feel is really important to a meal being excellent as opposed to very good.

One of my favorite texture tricks is Grilled Polenta to go with bbq'd chicken (I think I've posted the recipe - if not sombody kick me). Actually it goes wonderfully with any tender meat. It changes every meal. My 16 month old grandaughter eats it like candy!

I also love sauces and gravies but usually served around the veggies or meat ranther than over them.

The bite of cheese rice (properly known and prepared as rissoto though DH has a family recipe that is much more simple - I am, however, prejudiced having been raised Italian) but for a family with children it's one of the best 25 minute side dishes I can think of. It provides wonderful texture and a great flavor contrast to pork chops, chicken or any other very tender dish.

Gonna stop now as I'm beginning to drool on my keyboard yet again!:pig:

Great topic,when I think of texture I think it as something that is static.....it was meant to be...... We crave the crunchiness of nuts, and extend the properties of crunching to crackers and corn chips which are served crisp. For added crunch, we add chopped nuts to ice cream, and salt to pretzels.We don't want our creme caramel or panna cotta to be lumpy nor do we want any lumps in our pomme de terre. I crave shellfish not only for the natural umami in shrimp,crab or lobster but the sensation of cutting through the multiple layers of flesh with the different resistances experienced by my insisors and if in that same bite had an accompaniment of meltingly soft wild ramps.......I would definately be looking for a liquid to round off the richness possibly in the form of a wine reduction,or maybe even a butter based vinegariette.

All the senses are no less important IMO and some much more important that others at a given time.While the taste of a good cup of Java......hopefully from somewhere in
Kenya.....tastes great,it certainly doesn't compare to the aroma of coffee waffling across the kitchen after a brew
or when extracting the freshly ground coffee to be brewed.
Smell or aroma can extract powerful emotions and memory
subtly effecting our mood.All of a sudden I want to fresh
grate parmigiano reggiano over a steaming bowl of stracciatella soup and throw a towel over both of us.

Really it all comes down to balance otherwise we are not taken advantage of our rapidly evolving neocortex and
we'll all end up thinking a big mack is good.

The biggest pleasure I get out of cooking other than the
opportunity to express myself through food is to watch
the body language of people I'm cooking for.Facial expressions and non verbal mannerisms.... never lie.
A quick blinking of someone wide eyed after placing a plate in front of them is the best compliment I could ever recieve.

This is a great discussion! Several things come to mind when I think of texture. Not food dishes, but rather ingredients. These may gross people out, but I like them. :)

Beef tendon in Vietnamese beef noodle soup (pho)
wood ear (fungus)
tripe
duck feet
dried bean curd
Are a few things that come to mind.

Bump.
Next part of the discussion;
Prepare a meal with sides that will give a variety of textures that will complement each other, and fill the senses with flavor, sight appeal, and texture.

I'll start.
Meat, hmmm, pork chops, butterflied and stuffed
Veggies - Asparugus spears, sweet potatoes
Starch - Brown & wild rice pilaf
Desert- Apple pie with vanilla ice cream

Stuffing is to be a bread stuffing flavored with chicken broth, sage, thyme, egg, and onion. It is pre cooked outside the chops before stuffing is done.

Pork chops - loin chops seasoned with salt and pepper, and with a pocket cut into side. Stuff the chops with 2 tbs. of the bread dressing, broil for four minutes per side.

Veggies, Steam asparagus spears until a slight crunch remains. They shouldn't be mushy. Cover with a light cheese sauce made from a roux based Bechemel, with sharp cheddar cheese finely grated, then blended in until silky smooth.

Peel, then cut sweet potatoes into "french fry" shape and then pan-fry in oil until tender on the inside. Dust with nutmeg and powdered sugar or Splenda

Cook the rices acording to directions, in chicken broth. Flavor with thyme and a hint of basil.

Make or purchase your favorite apple pie, with a lattice top crust brushed with egg wash and granulated sugar. Serve hot with the ice cream. And change up the flavor. Try something like strawberry cheesecake ice cream.

And there you have my menu for a meal with many textures and flavors, all of which are healthy, except for the desert. And for that part, eat small pieces.:mrgreen:

:) I hate the texture of whole cherry tomatoes hard on the outside and squishi on the inside but I dont have a problem with regular tomatoes.

Goodweed of the North said:
Bump.
Next part of the discussion;
Prepare a meal with sides that will give a variety of textures that will complement each other, and fill the senses with flavor, sight appeal, and texture.

Does it have to be over the course of several meals or can I do it in one dish?

Butter Poached Lobster Ravioli with Shaved Green and White Asparagus, Truffled-Edamame Puree, Hearts of Palm, and Microgreens

Lobster Tail and Claw meat - poached in a mixture of unsalted butter, extra virgin olive oil, shallots, black peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme, and lemon; tail sliced into 1/2" medallions on a bias, claw is left whole; all meat is de-shelled

Hearts of Palm - Lightly drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, lemon, kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper, then lightly grilled, then sliced into 1/2" medallions

White and Green Aspargus - Quickly blanched in salted water then shocked in an ice water bath. Sliced paper thin using a mandolin. Tossed with truffle oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, and a hint of fresh lemon juice.

Edamame Puree - Blanched soybeans pureed with chicken stock, shallots, flat leaf parsley, kosher salt, and truffle oil, and a touch of heavy cream and unsalted butter.

Ravioli - One large, fresh piece of pasta dough, roughly 6-7" square.

Microgreens - Simply tossed with extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt.

Assembly - Using a square or wavy-squared dinner plate, ladle the edamame puree until a thin coat covers the entire plate until the inside edge of the rim. Place the sheet of raviloli down so that the corners of the ravioli are adjacent to the sides of the plate. Layer a little of the asparagus mixture in the middle of the ravioli. Layer the hearts of palm and the lobster tail medalions on top of that. Layer the remainder of the asparagus on top next. Then place the lobster claw on top, with the microgreens on top of that. Shave fresh black truffle on and around the dish.

Flavor and Texture - You get the fresh crunch and flavor from the aspargus and hearts of palm. The sweet and savory flavor from the lobster. Velvety texture and savory flavor from the edamame-truffle puree. Slight citrus flavors from the lemon incorporated in the various components of the dish. Fresh and peppery flavor and texture with the microgreens. Plus the texture of the perfectly al dente cooked pasta dough, and the visual and flavor contribution from the shaved black truffle.

I've never known just why I didn't like rice pudding til now. The texture is the reason - I knew I didn't like the slimy feel of oatmeal, but as much as I enjoy rice couldn't stand rice pudding. I like my rice to fall apart and oatmeal in really good cookies. I don't mind lumpy mashed potatoes if they have the skins left on. I really enjoy a variety of color, texture and tastes on my plate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom