Tea in a pot vs tea by the cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
All the directions for making loose leaf tea that I have ever read said something like use one teaspoon of leaves per cup. If making a pot then add an extra teaspoon of leaves "for the pot". Why would you add extra leaves just because you are making tea in a pot as opposed to just making a single cup? Wouldn't you want the same strength tea? There must be a reason for this that I am just not seeing.

My gramma told me its because when you brew a pot you need more because the pot is bigger. When I was little that made a lot of sense. Now...not so much.

Depends on how strong I want my tea. It all depends on your preference, too. Some like it bitter and dark, some like it light, or medium. I find that it differs between teas, as well. Black teas are more potent so be careful not to let too much steep for too long. Green teas get bitter after too long and too strong. Fruit teas and white teas are great to leave in however long you want and at whatever quantity. Test and experiment is what I'm trying to say. There are no rules when it comes to tea making... GO WILD!!!

As wild as you can with tea.

If you want to try different teas, chai is good with milk and a bit of hot water.

Oh I completely understand about making it as strong or weak as you like. The quetion I have is if you like it a certain strength then why would the recommend you make it that strong +1 when using a pot. You would think if you like it a certain strength at just one cup then you would want to keep the same strength in a pot, not increase it.

It probably has something to do with an ancient ritual of -

One for you, one for me, and one for the Tea Gods.

:LOL:

Oh I completely understand about making it as strong or weak as you like. The quetion I have is if you like it a certain strength then why would the recommend you make it that strong +1 when using a pot. You would think if you like it a certain strength at just one cup then you would want to keep the same strength in a pot, not increase it.

GB, if you make a pot with the extra measure "for the pot", does it taste stronger than a single brewed cup or does it taste the same?

That confirms my suspicion. The 'one for the pot' rule does not apply East of the Mississippi and North of the Mason-Dixon Line.

a tea cup is about 5oz. Making a pot, one is apt to think and thus measure for an 8oz cup. Thus add 1 extra spoonful and make up the difference. Such at least is the wisdom of a Scottish chef I know.

That is the closest I have heard to a reasonable explanation. Thanks Robo. The thing is that there are all different size pots so while one extra might work for one pot it might still not even make a difference in a larger pot.

I use milk in my black tea, shaken, not stirred, but I take my green tea straight!

Wow! I know the answer to a "cooking" question! :) Well, an answer.........

Been a while since I made a pot of tea with loose leaf tea, but................"one for the pot" is because you don't want to drain the teapot completely for the last cuppa, so as well as extra tea you add.........extra water! - so you intentionally make and then waste one cuppa cha (no matter the size of the teapot).

Why? So that any impurities / tea dust within the tea leaves settles to the bottom of the pot and are not then decanted into the strainer - being smaller than tea leaves would otherwise then end up in the cup. Plus that last cup will not be 50% leaves when coming out of the spout. The rounded shape at the bottom of a teapot acts as a "sump" for both tea and impurties........plus a tea strainer full of tea leaves makes getting the last of the tea into the teacup slower / a PITA.

Historically probably more important due to both less consistent and intentionally varying tea qualities, coupled with strainers pre the nowadays more usual fine plastic mesh being not so good at both straining out debris and also the tea leaves.

If you don't put in "one for the pot" its the same as having a teabag cuppa, but topped up with dust from the teabag box - I don't think anyone ever puts that in :ohmy:

Why waste 1 whole cup of tea? because it's easy to measure!.........plus it appeases the tea gods ;).....that's why squeezing too many last top ups from the pot has the tea tasting a bit funny - the tea gods don't like pilfering :-p

PS. I know me first post should be an intro :rolleyes: - but I got all excited to know a cooking answer :LOL:. Intro to follow :)

Wow! I know the answer to a "cooking" question! :) Well, an answer.........

Been a while since I made a pot of tea with loose leaf tea, but................"one for the pot" is because you don't want to drain the teapot completely for the last cuppa, so as well as extra tea you add.........extra water! - so you intentionally make and then waste one cuppa cha (no matter the size of the teapot).

Why? So that any impurities / tea dust within the tea leaves settles to the bottom of the pot and are not then decanted into the strainer - being smaller than tea leaves would otherwise then end up in the cup. Plus that last cup will not be 50% leaves when coming out of the spout. The rounded shape at the bottom of a teapot acts as a "sump" for both tea and impurties........plus a tea strainer full of tea leaves makes getting the last of the tea into the teacup slower / a PITA.

Historically probably more important due to both less consistent and intentionally varying tea qualities, coupled with strainers pre the nowadays more usual fine plastic mesh being not so good at both straining out debris and also the tea leaves.

If you don't put in "one for the pot" its the same as having a teabag cuppa, but topped up with dust from the teabag box - I don't think anyone ever puts that in :ohmy:

Why waste 1 whole cup of tea? because it's easy to measure!.........plus it appeases the tea gods ;).....that's why squeezing too many last top ups from the pot has the tea tasting a bit funny - the tea gods don't like pilfering :-p

PS. I know me first post should be an intro :rolleyes: - but I got all excited to know a cooking answer :LOL:. Intro to follow :)

Great explanation, David! Thanks and welcome aboard!

Back
Top Bottom