The Downton Abbey SPOILERS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daisy? Do you mean Anna, his wife?
Anyway, I know what happens there as I've just watched the next two weeks' episodes.

I didn't know Matthew wasn't returning though. Good spoiler. That should make finishing up the season interesting knowing that.

Yes, my boo boo. Daisy is the unhappy kitchen wench. :angel:

I thought about buying and watching the rest of the season but I won't be doing that now. It's way too much fun to play the weekly guessing game here, not knowing for sure what will happen.

I agree that Cora is devoted to Robert. After all, she forgave him for loosing her entire family fortune. The death of Sibel is another matter with Robert.
I think Cora's "Americanism" will come into play when she considers the only reason that "Sir" Doctor was in charge was because of his social status. Grrrrrrrrrrr

I was doing a search on the DA family to try and get all the relations straight and one website had the family tree. It showed Sybil's death in childbirth so I knew that was coming and it told how Matthew "leaves the show" which I will not divulge here for those that want to find out in the normal course of viewing.

Thanks for the tip on the sites. Sometimes I will search something and now I will stop in case I run into a site that divulges things ahead of time.

I thought about buying and watching the rest of the season but I won't be doing that now. It's way too much fun to play the weekly guessing game here, not knowing for sure what will happen.

I took a few hours off while tending to some things. That's enough. I'm dying to finish off the season :wacko: Which I will start here shortly.
But then what will I do? :(

I too was surprised by Isobel's actions hiring Ethel. She's very passionate about "helping" people. I laughed at the scene where she's trying to teach the "women" to sew.

One more little thing about Sunday's -- the business of the broken sauce near-disaster and Alfred (it was Alfred, wasn't it?) stepping in with the trick of beating in an egg to rescue it. Made me wonder if men were not supposed to be involved with cooking at that time, i.e. Mrs. Patmore at DA and Isobel's Mrs. Bird, who just left in a huff. {{Kidney souffle' ack ack}} Also made me wonder further if that's so, was that true in France? I think of French chefs generally being men (probably erroneous, but that's my impression of how it used to be).

I remember Alfred having worked in a hotel, but I don't remember where. He obviously picked up some tricks concerning food while there.

Well, I have finished season 3. I think the writers really went overboard with all that was going on this season. I don't recall the other two season's being filled with so much drama at every turn.

Carry on :)

The latest DA Masterpiece ran for two hours last Sunday night. I don't mind, but does that mean I'm an episode ahead of schedule now? Those two hours were certainly chock-full of happenings. I'm getting whiplash from the plot veering back and forth. Never thought I'd find sympathy for Thomas, but Mrs. O'Brien has always been a sour note. I bet the actor enjoys playing her, and she's awfully good at it. Her subtle facial expressions say so much. Don't you wonder about people like her who seem to just feel driven to sow seeds of discontent? I kept expecting that someone would find the miserable Thomas hanging from a rafter.

I can't stand O'Brien's character. Just when you think she's going to soften a bit she manipulates another situation. I still don't know what she had to gain by bringing Vera to the house and getting that snowball rolling.

Well, they introduced two new characters to the plot. The niece who is in love with a married man, and the Editor who also is married and pursuing the lovely Lady from Downton Abby. And the plot thickens.

My wife doesn't understand me and I will get a divorce and marry you. Oldest line in the world. But I love the other one. My wife is insane and I can't get a divorce. :angel:

I'm glad that Robert is softening some towards Matthew's vision for the place. I also like that he is softening some towards his son-in-law Tom. That whole dynamic was getting a bit tired. I haven't figured out O'Brien either. When this season started, I thought it was all about standing up for her nephew and trying to manipulate things to his advantage but now I'm not so sure that is all there is to her. I'd like to see some more interaction between her and Cora. She seems to just lurk around causing trouble.

I think Robert and Tom are getting along better because Tom is finally starting to play the part of what he married into. He it dressing for dinner and taking on more responsibility. He's not so much the Irish rebel. I agree, that interplay earlier in the season was getting real old.

Can't say as I liked the looks of Tom's rude brother - I suppose we must endure characters like him for the sake of drama.

The author has his hands full, adding more and more personalities. Makes me think of the chariot race in Ben-Hur, all those reins to be controlled somehow.

hmmm, why did I just get a vision of O-Brien's head spinning around the axle of a chariot's wheels... That can't be normal :ermm:

Yes, lots of comings and goings. And the story would be just fine without. It makes me wonder if they will make a later appearance when the story needs an input of extra drama. Like the burn victim who said he was Patrick, or the farmer that wanted Mrs Hughes to leave with him. The new maid that came onto Robert, the new maid that came onto someone else (not sure if you've seen that one yet). Small stories within the story, but maybe introduced for future use.

Am I the only one who didn't get the soap blackmail of O'Brien at first? It had been so long since I saw the episode when the evil O'Brien was responsible for Cora's miscarriage the first year of the series.
I guess they had to keep Thomas for making more trouble. I bet O'Brien really goes after him now, since he's the only one who knew about the soap.
I can hardly believe how fast this season went with next week being the end for the year.

i think this week's multiple twists and turns were to offset how easily predictable so many of the other plots have turned out. tom's giving in to playing cricket, then making a big play; moseley sucking at cricket after being the "ringer" since his dad was the groundskeeper; how 18 year pld rose partied like a teenager after several mentions of how she dislikes london, then the juxtaposition of how edith thought she was being pursued by a married man.

i'm both disappointed and still am a fan. these are not story arcs, but rather oddly woven threads that because of their historical value and human interaction keeps them interesting.

Last edited:
Interesting and insightful observations on your part BT.
I enjoy this show for so many reasons besides just the stories of the characters, not the least of which is the eye candy of nearly every scene. The costuming and cinematography are really stunning. After I've watched an episode through the first time, I go back to pause some scenes for a snapshot. The scenes outside the church and the Cricket gathering were just two of them this time. Sigh, just beautifully done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom