The South - The North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
keltin said:
She’s from Tennessee….and she has informed me of an old farmer’s thing called the “Dead Wagon”. Have you (or anyone else) ever heard of the Dead Wagon?

Apparently, back in the day, on farms with large animals, if you had a large animal such as a hog or horse to die, then you could call a guy (for free) that would pick up the carcass and haul it off in his “Dead Wagon”.

Never heard of that one, but we did have a Vet when I grew up that made house calls for shots and such…….dead wagon?????? Sounds like a Stephen King novel!
I used to work at an emergency veterinary clinic in Houston. We had a large chest freezer behind the building that held the remains of critters that didn't make it. One of my duties was to note the freezer contents. When it was full, I was to call Dead Dog Homer. He would come and clear out the freezer, putting the bagged bodies in the back of his pick up. (I don't know where he took them.) I always said "thanks" to Homer until one day he told me that his name wasn't Homer, that's just what a dead animal guy is called. I thought he was teasing me since he often played little tricks on us (you don't want to know), but when I asked several of the vets there, they all confirmed that at every place they had ever worked, there had been a Dead Dog Homer. Keltin, please ask your wife if she's heard of Homer, too.

A southern Illinois phrase that I just learned, said about a child pitching a fit in a store: "I do believe his slappin' has come undone."

Meaning, the kid needed a firm swat to the bottom (or some other form of strict discipline.)

Man, this thread sure became popular!

When I lived in MI, there was a drive-thru liquor store in a neighboring small town (what they call a "village").

I had some real culture shock when it came to availability of beer and booze. Now, I consider myself a Native Okie, although I wasn't born here, but I have lived here most of my life.

Here in OK, low-point beer is available at gas stations, grocery stores, etc. High-point beer, wine, and liquor is only available at "liquor stores", which are privately owned, but have to buy their wares from the State. They aren't allowed to open up on Sundays, Holidays, and election days. A drive-thru liquor store is unheard-of here, in the "Buckle of the Bible Belt", as we call it.

Up in MI, EVERYTHING is available in grocery stores, and a type of store they call a "party store". Some groceries, lots of junk food, beverages, beer, booze, etc. But, a party store doesn't sell gas. Heck, I don't think any of the gas stations in the city I lived in even sold beer.

Here's a question for any of you folks that live in the Norfolk area. When I was a kid, I remember going to "High's Ice Cream". Do they still have those? There was one in a strip-mall just north of Military Circle Mall, if I remember right, as well as one inside that mall.

jersey girl, born and raised (and no we don't say "joisey", only people in staten island say that :rolleyes: ). the first time someone said to me "do you want a sack for that" in the grocery store, i think i looked at them like they were nuts. i think it was around that time i realized that the difference in dialects wasn't just about the accent. here's a few i don't think i saw yet:

market / grocery store (I say grocery store)

macaroni with gravy / pasta with sauce (my father says macaroni with gravy, he grew up in brooklyn, i called it gravy until i realized when the rest of the population says gravy, they mean the brown stuff, not the red stuff).

subway / t / bart / metro / el / trolley - every city has a different name for their mass transit.

the other thing i sometimes realize (mostly after a few drinks) - i say things like:

dolla' = dollar
foun 'ain = fountain
wooder = water
draw = drawer

the list goes on...
this quiz is similar to the other.

by the way, drive thru liquor store??? i don't think i've ever heard of that.

sparrowgrass said:
A southern Illinois phrase that I just learned, said about a child pitching a fit in a store: "I do believe his slappin' has come undone."

Meaning, the kid needed a firm swat to the bottom (or some other form of strict discipline.)
I LOVE this phrase, sparrowgrass. I've never heard it before but I'll sure be using it! :ROFLMAO:

Has anyone heard the phrase "open up a can of whoop-a**" on someone? Means to physically assault someone whom you feel "needs" it.

In Texas, when we hear about a shady character meeting an early end, you'll often hear "He needed killin'."

AllenOK said:
Here's a question for any of you folks that live in the Norfolk area. When I was a kid, I remember going to "High's Ice Cream". Do they still have those? There was one in a strip-mall just north of Military Circle Mall, if I remember right, as well as one inside that mall.

It appears there is one left: ARTICLE: Whatever happened to... High's, the onetime ice cream giant? (The Virginian-Pilot - HamptonRoads.com/PilotOnline.com)

Now that all the supermarkets, and even 7-11s, sell premium ice cream, there is apparently no need for a stand-alone ice cream parlor. Too bad. DH and I used to ride our bikes to one a few miles from our house.

Fisher's Mom said:
I LOVE this phrase, sparrowgrass. I've never heard it before but I'll sure be using it! :ROFLMAO:

Has anyone heard the phrase "open up a can of whoop-a**" on someone? Means to physically assault someone whom you feel "needs" it.

In Texas, when we hear about a shady character meeting an early end, you'll often hear "He needed killin'."

Oh yeah, I’ve heard, and used that expression! We even shorten it to “I’m about to open a can” or “I’m fixin’ to pop the top”. We also use the term “blanket party” which is where you wrap someone in a blanket and beat them with a large blunt object.....the blanket keeps them from developing visible bruises........so you say “You’re about to get invited to a blanket party”.....or “It’s time for a blanket party”.

Then, of course, there are trips to the woodshed!

We have a saying around here that involves Texas! Mostly it’s for playing cards, but is often used for other actions committed by another that you find incredulous. We say “Man, pull that crap in Texas and you’d get shot under the table”.

Speaking of punishment, as a kid, or when you have to discipline your kids, were your “put on restriction” or “grounded”.....or is there another term? We were always “on restriction”.........hmmmm, that reminds me that I got put on restriction for the rest of my life once! :ROFLMAO:

I guess, in most cases, being on restriction was better than having to “pick a switch”. Anyone else have to pick a switch???? But really, I wasn't that bad a kid! :LOL:

Last edited:
keltin said:
Speaking of punishment, as a kid, or when you have to discipline your kids, were your “put on restriction” or “grounded”.....or is there another term? We were always “on restriction”.........hmmmm, that reminds me that I got put on restriction for the rest of my life once! :ROFLMAO:
My parents called it restriction, too. I think it was a Navy term - maybe generic military. I call it grounded now with my kids and I think that's an Air Force term. As far as being on restriction for the rest of your life, I think that's called marriage!:)

Fisher's Mom said:
My parents called it restriction, too. I think it was a Navy term - maybe generic military. I call it grounded now with my kids and I think that's an Air Force term. As far as being on restriction for the rest of your life, I think that's called marriage!:)

LMAO! :ROFLMAO:

Good one!

keltin said:

I guess, in most cases, being on restriction was better than having to “pick a switch”. Anyone else have to pick a switch???? But really, I wasn't that bad a kid! :LOL:

My family didn't call it "being grounded" or "restriction." Instead, we were "campused." I always thought that was weird because we didn't live on any campus and the only school, at the time, I attended was high school.

As for the switch thing, yep, I've heard of it. I only made the mistake ONCE to pick a flimsy switch.:angel: I also learned to never try to outrun my daddy when he had a switch that was intended for me.:wacko:

muzzlet said:
When I was much younger, I had a roommate who was from Maryland. I'm from OH. She got so upset everytime I mentioned "pop", the accepted Midwest term. She'd scream: "Pop is married to your Mom. It's soda!"
How funny! We have had this conversation, in reverse. My mom was born in Illinois and raised (since age 7) in El Cajon, California (pronounced el ca-hone, btw). She and I have always said "pop" but my daughter (influenced by her friends) calls it soda. Like my mom always said, if you ever asked her to buy you some soda at the store you were going to get a box that said Arm & Hammer on it.

:) Barbara

Katie E said:
As for the switch thing, yep, I've heard of it. I only made the mistake ONCE to pick a flimsy switch.:angel: I also learned to never try to outrun my daddy when he had a switch that was intended for me.:wacko:

LOL! I learned the exact same lessons myself! Seems our parents read the same child rearing books. :LOL:

But I’ve never heard of “campused” before. That’s a new one on me!

Barbara L said:
How funny! We have had this conversation, in reverse. My mom was born in Illinois and raised (since age 7) in El Cajon, California (pronounced el ca-hone, btw). She and I have always said "pop" but my daughter (influenced by her friends) calls it soda. Like my mom always said, if you ever asked her to buy you some soda at the store you were going to get a box that said Arm & Hammer on it.

:) Barbara

What a small world! My wife grew up on the El Cajon/Lakeside border. I met her while stationed at Coranado Island (North Island Naval Air Station) while I was in the Navy.:mrgreen: I lived in Sand Diego, on Coranado Island, in Santee, Lakeside, and El Cajon while there (I was in for ten years and nine of them were in that area).

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Buck said:
You do, love, you do.

Whadaya mean? I'm the most succinct guy here. Why, once when I was a kid, my mother told me to be quiet. Well, I shut my yap and wouldn't speak for two weeks. I nearly starved to death. When I'm told to Shut my yap, I shut my yap.:ROFLMAO:;) (Borrowed from a Looney Tunes cartoon featuring our favorite rooster who can't ever keep his mouth shut - Foghorn Leghorn. Thank you, thank you.)

Seeeeeeee Goodweed of the North

I've never had to "open a can" on someone. I am old enough to remember the song about an "Attitude Adjustment", by Hank Jr.

My dad was Navy, but I always got "grounded". And I got grounded A LOT!

I've never had to "cut my own switch". I had a healthy respect for my mother's wooden spoon. My little brother (17 years younger than I am) broke that spoon over his knee when he was 3. That's when my Mom started telling me to "go cut a switch for Zac". After I moved out, he had to cut his own!

Man, there's only one High's left? Come on over to this part of the country. I'll introduce you to the joy of "Braum's".

That's another thing I remember about MI. There were several ice cream shops around, some Baskin-Robbins, and a bunch of mom-and-pop places, and they all charged about twice what I would expect to pay down here at a Braum's. I guess the big guys can afford to sell cheap.

Another thing, is all the ice cream places closed up shop sometime in November, and wouldn't open up until Spring.

keltin said:
That test brought up a few interesting questions. As young and rowdy teenagers (especially the boys I imagine), did you ever use toilet paper to “decorate" someone’s yard.....or have you at least heard of doing such? What was it called? Down here, we called it “Rolling”.

Also, the test mentioned a Drive-Thru Liquor Store! What the heck is that? I want one!!!! Where are those located?

86% Dixie. Do you still use Confederate money?

We have them all over the place in Texas. There is one up the street from us it is called the Beer Barn. It has beer, cigarettes, wine and coolers and snacks, that's it. Drive in, tell them what you want, they carry it to you, you pay, drive off.

BTW, it's freezer, fridge and water hose here too.

DH drives me nuts with some of his words. 2 in particular are battery and pecan.
I pronounce batteree and pecon, he pronounces battree and peecan. We were both raised within 2 miles of each other. He is more backwoods than I am though. LOL How do yall say these?

Last edited:
texasgirl said:
I pronounce batteree and pecon, he pronounces battree and peecan. We were both raised within 2 miles of each other. He is more backwoods than I am though. LOL How do yall say these?

I’m with you texasgirl, it’s bat-uh-ree for battery and puh-con for pecan.

So, the drive in stores are down in Texas then? Ok, time for a road trip!!

Oh, and do Texans really call armadillos “speed bumps”? :ROFLMAO:

keltin said:
I’m with you texasgirl, it’s bat-uh-ree for battery and puh-con for pecan.

So, the drive in stores are down in Texas then? Ok, time for a road trip!!

Oh, and do Texans really call armadillos “speed bumps”? :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately, most do. What is really sad, too many people will get the ones that are not total road kill and put them on their backs and put beer bottles on them to look as though they are drinking while lying there on the side of the road.

texasgirl said:
Unfortunately, most do. What is really sad, too many people will get the ones that are not total road kill and put them on their backs and put beer bottles on them to look as though they are drinking while lying there on the side of the road.

Wow, that’s worse than cow tipping! :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom