The Thankfulness Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations Rick. Twenty-five years in today's world is quite an accomplishment. You and your wonderful wife deserve all the happiness the two of you find in your marriage.

Unfortunately, I discovered after two disastrous marriages, that I don't like being married. But I did love having all my children and would do it all over again without the husband. Hmmm.... That wouldn't work out too well. I am from the old school. You need to be married to have children. At least that is how it works in my world. So when I hear of folks who have made their marriage a happy place to be, I envy them. I hope the two of you are folks who can make it to your 50th anniversary.

So what did the two of you do to celebrate such an accomplishment?

Actually Addie, since she's just 3 weeks removed from knee replacement surgery, at her request I drove 40 miles round trip to town for Chinese take out. :angel:

We will figure out an appropriate celebration when when she is up to it, probably late June or early July.

Dishwasher update: I did an actual load of dishes tonight. Put in about 1/2 portion of the smallest measure of liquid dishwasher detergent. No leaks! No bubbles! I guess the problem was a soapy build-up. Thank goodness!

Thankful...I definitely am.

Glenn and I had to do some unplanned fencing because one of our doggies discovered a fissure in the old fence.

This was a few weeks ago. Vegetation was at its minimal growth. Spring hadn't really visited us.

At any rate, we pulled, tugged, dug, and made new fence out of about 50 feet of some of the fence in our back property.

Not thinking, I dove in and helped Glenn take care of the task necessary.

In the end, even though things appeared to be dormant, I ended up with an horrific case of poison ivy...just from the dried vines.

I am sooooo allergic to poison ivy and ended up with some yucky results.

I had on long pants but short sleeves.

In the end, my forearms were consumed with the poison ivy.

When it ended my arms looked like Popeye's, so swollen that I could barely bend my wrists.

By the time I was treated by a physician, my forearms began to split because of the swelling. I looked like Edward Scissorshands had had his way with me.

I'm still recovering and am happy to be able to go to bed without messing up the linens.

Soon I will wear short sleeves again. I've been wearing long sleeves because I didn't want to mess with folks' view of my arms.

Nasty stuff, that poison ivy. Glad you're on the recovery side now Katie!

I'm sorry to hear that the sleeping poison ivy vines got you, Katie. Being a country girl, I would think you could spot in no matter what time of year. ;) Glad to hear you're healing nicely.

BTW, have you ever heard of "Jewelweed"? We had a stand of it growing in our backyard "wilds" in our first home...right in the same area as that evil Poison Ivy (or "PI", as we have come to call it in our family). I found out from a neighbor that Jewelweed is a natural antidote to poison ivy rash. Mother Nature sure knows how to pair plants up, right? Anyway, the neighbor had an unfortunate incident with collecting a huge rock from some woods for his front yard because his wife thought it would look lovely. All of the vine he was using between himself and the rock as he tugged at it was...yup, PI. A coworker of his gave him a salve with Jewelweed as an ingredient, and it cleared his rash up real quick. I've used the sap from a jewelweed plant over an area that was brushed by poison ivy when gardening after scrubbing well with good ol' Fels Naptha soap. Between the two, I haven't had a poison ivy incident.

As some of you might remember, after finding a health care provider I liked (a nurse-practitioner), she had to leave her position due to a family situation. I had to look for another doctor or nurse. *sigh* First new doctor? Not so much "strike one", but getting to the office is a bit of a pain. Next up, I was able to get an appointment with the new doctor that replaced my NP at the original office location. I met her today when I went for a check up. I like her! I really like her! I am so thankful that my doctor search ended quickly.

As some of you might remember, after finding a health care provider I liked (a nurse-practitioner), she had to leave her position due to a family situation. I had to look for another doctor or nurse. *sigh* First new doctor? Not so much "strike one", but getting to the office is a bit of a pain. Next up, I was able to get an appointment with the new doctor that replaced my NP at the original office location. I met her today when I went for a check up. I like her! I really like her! I am so thankful that my doctor search ended quickly.

Isn't it amazing how happy we can be, finding a health care provider we can relate to?

My first visit with my doctor, in my new health care program in Missouri, was highly successful. Yesterday we hooked Jeannie up with the same doctor.. I know she will be as pleased as I was..

Ross

I am thankful, after three months my sister is finally back home and doing well. I was able to take her a wheelchair, a bed cane and a walker. AND I am able to teach her about her new diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes.

That's great! I've had the same doctor for decades and he's great. SO was not happy with her doctor and switched to mine. She like him too. I have him to thank for solving the problem SO had a year or so ago.

I’m thankful for this community; the patience, knowledge, and sense of humor of its members, and for being accepted into it!

Also thankful that, although I’m not fond of the desert, Las Vegas has such a diverse population. I live a stone’s throw away from Asian, Mexican, and even Indian markets, and I can indulge my love of cooking ethnic foods (even if the Skipper won’t eat them)!

I am thankful, after three months my sister is finally back home and doing well. I was able to take her a wheelchair, a bed cane and a walker. AND I am able to teach her about her new diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes.
I’ll bet that your sister is grateful, too, for having such a loving and caring sib!

Glad to hear the good news PF. Just learning a whole new diet can be daunting. And in the process, she will be learning some new cooking skills. She couldn't have a better or more capable teacher. What a lucky sister she is.

Last edited:
I’ll bet that your sister is grateful, too, for having such a loving and caring sib!

LOL, she's only called me "overbearing" twice since she got home. She does appreciate what I do for her, which makes me happy being her big sister.

Glad to hear the good news PF. Just learning a whole new diet can be daunting. And in the process, she will be learning some new cooking skills. She couldn't have a better or more capable teacher. What a lucky sister she is.

She needs little guidance, it's her boys and SO that need the kick in the pants. PrincessFaunna loves salads and good foods. PrincessNotaFoodie needs more help and the same with PrinceItWon'tHappentoMe. It's tough being the eldest of this clan.

That's great! I've had the same doctor for decades and he's great...
Thanks, Andy. Had we not moved to MA, we would have the same doctor for decades, too. Our PCP back in OH is still in practice, still in the same physicians group he was in when we left - and, I'm sure, still wonderful. If we ever get back to OH, I'll be calling that office to get us back with the practice as soon as the "For Sale" sign is planted! Since we moved here I've been through - let me count this... - about eight doctors, plus a nurse practitioner. There were several once-and-done docs. Three left us (retirement, family move, and one had a dust-up with the licensing board :ermm: :LOL: ), and a couple others were OK until something better came along.

I am thankful, after three months my sister is finally back home and doing well...
That is great news, PF! Wishing her continued progress in getting better - so she can whip that family of hers into shape. :LOL: That is if they survive your boot camp! ;)

Back
Top Bottom