Things people say that bug you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They seem to happen more as we grow older, don't you think? At least they do for me. Another thing that bugs me is national news broadcasters that say "Warshington" when they should be saying "Washington". Where's the "R" come from?

But kids don't count. Otherwise I would've been crazy from my own daughter already.

I will give you a daughter to go crazy over...........she is a world champion debater......you can't win squat with her........forget it.........she and her partner (now a boyfriend) won 2nd in the world championships at China.....yeah, I'm proud of her but I wished that I could win at least one argument with her..............she drives me crazy and she's a fricking slob when she is at home.........

sorry, surrounded by kids all day, I can't help that the cute rubs off on me....
and yes they all speak very well.

now I see why this thread was a bad idea.

why are you apologizing?????I know this is late as i'm just reading thru the threads,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what you have to say has importance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,don't blame the thread ........blame your response........fight back, my dear.......you have gloves.......put them on and use them and this is advice for the rest of you who are wavering..........

Kids that use the following:
Whatever (after they say something and then add "whatever")
I bad ( When they make an error and then say " I bad" )
My biggest one is the use of "F" word. The kids now days use it every other word in a sentence and they don't care where they are. My daughter said it once when she was younger and she received a slap, still at 29 years old if I ever heard her use that she will receive another slap.
Mostly just listening to any kid. I think English teaching has been dropped of off the schools list of subjects taught.

Kids that use the following:
Whatever (after they say something and then add "whatever")
I bad ( When they make an error and then say " I bad" )
My biggest one is the use of "F" word. The kids now days use it every other word in a sentence and they don't care where they are. My daughter said it once when she was younger and she received a slap, still at 29 years old if I ever heard her use that she will receive another slap.
Mostly just listening to any kid. I think English teaching has been dropped of off the schools list of subjects taught.

no, it's not........we're just reacting as parents.........this has been around as old as Atlantis..........our kids will always be pushing the limits......that's their job.....that's what they are supposed to do.........I will give my daughter to anyone who is naive enough to accept her....just kidding :):):)

...I bad ( When they make an error and then say " I bad" )...
Around here it's "My bad," which is just as bad! It supposedly means the same (according to the ones who use it), as "I'm sorry," but to me it takes the responsibility out of it, makes it impersonal. Kind of like (another of my pet peeves), "No problem" for "You're welcome." It takes the human element out of it. It seems like this is just another step in society becoming a large number of self-centered individuals rather than a community that looks after one another.

:huh:Barbara

I think the thing that bugs me most is bad engilsh or incorrect statements that I hear over and over in commercials. Two current that come to mind are "diabetes and heart disease have become one of our nations leading killers. Thats two, guys. A recent Bud commercial that advertised their beer as having hops grown in the Willamette Valley in Washington State. The Willamette is in Oregon. To Buds credit, yesterday I heard the commercial but now the hops are grown in the Pacific Cascades. Thank you, Bud

My whole family grew up in the same area, but only my mother said, "idear", for idea. It used to drive me crazy.
Another; when people say "inclimate weather" when it's cold and snowing in winter, where and when it should be.
More; irregardless, of-ten, xmas, "that being said", "so, for now, I'm Joe Blow, for XYZ News. What, he's someone else for some other news, or when the cameras are off? YO! Wa's up?
I knew I'd hate this thread.
And then the one I haven't been able to fix....I always say, "water OVER the bridge", not under.

I say off-ten. There's no rule against pronouncing the T from what I've been able to find.

Irregardless bugs me but what really bothers me is "baby daddy" when it's used by supposed intelligent news agencies. For the love of the gods, if you are putting something in print you can spell out the words "the baby's father".

I feel your pain. I was an English minor in college.

Lots of people use the word "orientated" when they mean 'oriented.' I'm getting better with dangling participles, but they still grate upon the ear I was given.
or better yet, they mix those two words up with Orient as in the culture

I didn't say right or wrong, and it wasn't directed to you, as your comment came AFTER my post.
The title of this thread is...................................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom