Thursday's Kitchen - 8/26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Hot Roast Beef Sandwich & Mashed Spuds under Onion Gravy,
Lefty Veggies, Tomato Salad...

Sandwich, Hot roast Beef, Onion Gravy.jpg

When I portioned out a whole pork loin the other day, there were some pieces that were decidedly unporkchop-like. I used some of that to make a stir-fry tonight with assorted vegetables.

EEFBA90C-722F-4D21-A49E-73A5A9919A78_1_105_c.jpg

The only issue with tonight's grub was that there was no cold, cherry pie, with whipped cream.:ohmy:. What I id have was oven baked, in a very slow oven (190' F., and covered, for 5 hours, baby back pork ribs, with a simple homemade dry rub, finished for 5 minutes after topping with Hoisin sauce in a 450' oven, uncovered. The ribs turned out super tender, full flavored, and succulent.

The juices were poured into a sauce pan, with enough water to make just under 2 cups. One cup basmati rice was added and brought to a simmer, covered, and cooked for 20 minutes. Add to that freshly sliced tomato, and a few Castelvetrano olives, and a tall glass of pink lemonade over ice. It was tasty:yum:. The black specks in the rice are fond bits from the deglazed rib roasting pan.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• 20210826_174943.jpg
    20210826_174943.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210826_174957.jpg
    20210826_174957.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210826_175812.jpg
    20210826_175812.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210826_175818.jpg
    20210826_175818.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 42
We're having the sous vide Carnitas tonight, along with a stove top (I usually do rice cooker) Mexican Rice and Spicy beans from the freezer. Pictures to come, if I remember to take them...LOL.

I've popped some St. Louis style pork ribs into the sous vide for a 24 hour recipe. Why waste that perfectly good sous vide water!? We'll enjoy the ribs tomorrow...

We had pan fried ham steak, steamed broccoli, sauteed baby bok choy, and Aldi tater puffs. Once all that was prepped and cooking, I cleaned off the cutting board and filled it up with raw veggies to munch while waiting. It was full when we started...View attachment 48463IMG_20210826_205003108.jpg

I made a taco Frito salad. I had some already sautéed ground pork and onions. I fried some garlic, a couple of chopped jalapeños, and cumin. Then I added the meat and some oregano, paprika, and salt. I poured on a bit of water to almost cover it. I tasted it and it had enough heat and flavour to work well for the salad. Then I reduced the liquid until nearly nothing. I made a big salad (Boston lettuce, green crisp lettuce, a bit of thinly sliced nappa cabbage, thinly sliced red onion, grated carrot, some julienned orange bell pepper, a few snow peas, and some chopped celery. I dressed it with my standard batch vinaigrette. Everything went on the table: salad, "taco meat", Fritos, pickled jalapeños, red and green salsas, shredded cheddar, and sour cream. We each constructed our salads to our preferences.

My plate:

Frito taco salad, Linda's plate.jpg

Stirling's plate:

Frito taco salad, Stirling's plate.jpg

Guys, everything looks and sounds fabulous!

We've been home now for a coupla days, and DH said to me,
"we've gotta put some meat on your Mom's bones, she's far
too thin... I don't think she's been eating, you gotta feed her!"

IMG_0797.jpg

Got it!

She was in piggy heaven tonight!
Grilled NY Strip with fresh Mushrooms
Baked Russet Potato with all the fixin's
fresh Sweet Corn on the Cob ...
Mom went back for more of everything!
Walmart Sweet Potato Pie for dessert, sorry no photo,
`cuz she gobbled it down so fast :LOL:

As DH and I were chatting privately later this evening;
we both agreed that she's lovin' having three full
meals a day plus dessert.
:whistling

Mom had her grilled cheese and tomato sandwich with strawberries last night. I had a ham sandwich on honey wheat bread with lettuce and a smear of mayo, some green grapes and watermelon cubes for dessert.

cjmmytunes; dragons like fluffy and sweet. Any self respecting dragon would answer - "Mmmmm, put you on a stick, roast until gooey,, with my fire, and cover you with chocolate, and graham crackers. I like S'mores! But then again, made into a pate', and served on toast points might be the answer. Either way, don't mess with dragons!:LOL:

cjmmytunes; dragons like fluffy and sweet. Any self respecting dragon would answer - "Mmmmm, put you on a stick, roast until gooey,, with my fire, and cover you with chocolate, and graham crackers. I like S'mores! But then again, made into a pate', and served on toast points might be the answer. Either way, don't mess with dragons!:LOL:

I don't mess with with dragons, and hopefully they won't mess with me.

At one time I was cavity-inducing sweet, literally - my BGL was over 700 one day and that caused me to make a trip to the hospital. My ER nurse called me a "candy cane".

I don't mess with with dragons, and hopefully they won't mess with me.

At one time I was cavity-inducing sweet, literally - my BGL was over 700 one day and that caused me to make a trip to the hospital. My ER nurse called me a "candy cane".
Please be careful, Cindy. That happened to my MIL and she essentially had a stroke because her blood was so thick from the sugar. The doctor said it was like syrup. Imagine your heart trying to pump that through your brain. She ended up in a nursing home and was only able to go home for visits a couple of times.

Please be careful, Cindy. That happened to my MIL and she essentially had a stroke because her blood was so thick from the sugar. The doctor said it was like syrup. Imagine your heart trying to pump that through your brain. She ended up in a nursing home and was only able to go home for visits a couple of times.

This was when I first found out I was diabetic, it has never been that high since. I went to the ER because I was feeling miserable, thought I was coming down with something. I was also dehydrated and had a bad UTI, was put on insulin and a lower carb diet. My blood sugar has never gone over 200 since then until the last few days, switching from a premix insulin to a basal/bolus routine, and having test before meal, dose & eat, then test 2 hrs after meal to see how it is working. Right now I'm at 7 units Humalog with each meal and 20 units of Lantus at bedtime.

Thank you for caring so much, GG. It means a lot to me.

This was when I first found out I was diabetic, it has never been that high since. I went to the ER because I was feeling miserable, thought I was coming down with something. I was also dehydrated and had a bad UTI, was put on insulin and a lower carb diet. My blood sugar has never gone over 200 since then until the last few days, switching from a premix insulin to a basal/bolus routine, and having test before meal, dose & eat, then test 2 hrs after meal to see how it is working. Right now I'm at 7 units Humalog with each meal and 20 units of Lantus at bedtime.

Thank you for caring so much, GG. It means a lot to me.
{{{hugs}}}

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom