Tips for surviving without power and water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least 15 years ago the JC Penney store was giving away a combo radio and light thing that operated using a crank if you purchased a certain amount. I opted for the lavender colored one. When I brought it home, DH fell on the floor laughing! Three hurricanes and hunkering down in our hallway later he changed his mind. I think you can do a search on hand cranked light (Don't forget to add light) and you will find some.

ooooh that was so funny, jg. i laughed and laughed. can you just image what kind of sites would pop up without the light? i'm almost tempted to find out, but naahh. i keep forgetting that no matter how obscure my query, the internet will almost certainly have an answer for me. i can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that i can go to the computer and buy virtually anything i can dream up, answer any question about anything under the sun, find music, books, art, historical facts, etc. etc.,...and so i was able to find self powered flashlights and radios online. hopefully next time i have some goof ball question, i'll think to consult the computer first--it just doesn't come naturally to me yet, lifelong habits die hard....:)

The first time we ever went to Cozumel, about 7 years ago, was right after Hurricane Wilma hit. She devastated the little island, but we fell in love with the island, food, and people. Have been going back ever since, and it is amazing how quickly they rallied. The island is still not 100% , but Jaques Cousteau put it on the map for fantastic diving and snorkeling, and he was right.

A good friend spent 2 weeks cutting his way out of the jungle subdivision where they live, with a machete. They have a lovely place with pool, fire wall and fire pit. A bartender with limited English brought out a photo album, describing the water level and how Wilma affected him and his ninos.

Cozumel has to put up with the hurricane stuff every year.

Again, thoughts and prayers are with our East coast friends.

Back
Top Bottom