Toasting Pasta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Over Christmas we had dinner in a restaurant in NY State. I had a dish with clams, lemon, olive oil and garlic served over toasted pasta. Have any of you ever done this? I'd like to try it for dinner tonight.

I learned to toast pasta from my mom.

She spread some egg noodles on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven until they were golden brown them boiled them and tossed them with melted butter. Mmmmm!

I also brown angel hair in butter when I make pilaf.

I cooks the same and tastes so much better. You get the nutty flavor similar to brown butter.

I toast the Mexican pasta (fideo) that I use in soups. Just brown it in a bit of butter. It really adds to the flavor.

I think the pasta in the Riceroni mixes is also toasted.

Put it in the oven raw. I would preheat to 350F and start checking after about five minutes. It just needs a light toasting, not a deep brown.

It helps to stir the pasta around in the pan part way through the cooking as it doesn't toast evenly.

The depth of color is up to you. It's good anywhere from light golden to a tan color. You don't really want it as dark as milk chocolate.

I'm going to have to try this. More detailed instructions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I remember watching Lidia Bastianich and she made a fresh pasta, rolled it out on a hand cranked pasta machine ( the piece was like about 6" x 12" ( inches). She then proceded to toast it. After she toasted it, she then broke it into large irregular pieces, boiled it , and served it up.

Unfortunately I cant find it in the cook book I have of hers, and cant locate it online either.

Maybe I was hallucinating or maybe it wasn't Lidia. I just remembered seeing it, cause at the time it seemed unusual to me.

That being said, many times I used Orzo, I fry it up in a little olive oil til it gets brownish, then add the water. Definitely gives it that ' nutty' flavor Andy mentioned. ( I do the same with Isreali cous cous, and broken up spagetti/rice.

LArry

Back
Top Bottom