Tonight (Labor Day 2023) (Sept. 4th)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a medium steak with beetroot salad, broccoli and roast potatoes.
20230905_123058.jpg

I made a Keralan okra curry last night, to use up a good amount of the okra I had in the fridge. I first set some brown basmati rice to cook, then started cutting up the ingredients. As soon as the okra was cut, I started sautéeing that in a little coconut oil, in a wok, for about 10 min, stirring frequently. Minced some garlic and ginger, and a small onion (recipe called for 1/2 c), and when the okra was done, removed that, and started cooking the onion, for a minute, then the garlic and ginger, plus the seasonings, for just 2 minutes, then added the okra back in, and cooked another 2 minutes. Then the coconut milk was added - the Keralan signature - and simmered another 2 min. That was it! The rice was not even done yet! It sat about 2 minutes, waiting for the rice, and thickened some, due to the okra. It wasn't at all difficult, and since it didn't have a lot of ingredients, it wasn't as complex as a Thai curry - my favorite thing in coconut milk - but it was very good, and not hot. Here's the recipe I based it on - only thing I did different was more garlic. Next time probably more green peppers.

Here are the photos, showing how easily it went together.
Seasonings for the Keralan okra curry, cooking briefly, before adding cooked okra briefly. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The cooled okra added back to cook briefly with the seasonings, before adding the coconut milk. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Keralan okra curry, simmering briefly with the coconut milk. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some cooked brown basmati rice, ready for the Keralan okra curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Keralan okra curry, served on the brown basmati rice. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

it's hot and humid so we didn't bbq the entire labor day weekend. looks like the summer season is over. it's wednesday morningnow and i'm trying to remember what i ate ... I think tuna fish and leftover cold broccoli salad!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom