Tuesday 2/8/2011, What's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roasted Pork loin, potatoes and onions (seasoned with EVOO, ground sea salt, ground peppercorn blend, garlic & onion powder, poultry seasoning, adobo seasoning, , cayenne, ground red pepper flakes, Hungarian paprika, thyme and rosemary), sliced tomato, steamed and buttered fresh broccoli and pan gravy.

img_967229_0_b85f55bf6154b3a7b11dc74cb432f5f2.jpg

img_967229_1_3105fcee8a962cc6c7dcea150261d48e.jpg

DH just left for work so we had our bigger meal for lunch....and had breakfast :LOL: Nothing like mixing up the mains! I made waffles with sausages, fresh berries, whipped cream and maple syrup. It went over very well but then again it always does no matter what time of day I serve it! :)

I still have some ham left from Sunday's dinner so I am thinking of making Dad and I a favourite lunch from my childhood - creamed ham on toast. Simple, but good as neither of us are totally feeling over our colds and flu and love comfort food.

What a good idea. Do you just grate some ham in a white sauce?

risotto with shrimp peas escarole (and onions garlic saffron white wine parsley and a touch of parm not cause it's authentic, it's not, but cause we like it!)

What a good idea. Do you just grate some ham in a white sauce?

Thanks! It all depends on what kind of ham I have. Today it is a 1/2" ham steak and I just cubed the meat fairly small and will now saute it with some onion and butter in a pot. When the onion is soft I will add some flour (roughly equal to the amount of butter) and stir until smooth. Then I add milk and some frozen peas or mixed veggies, cook it, stirring, until thickened. I season it with salt, pepper, and whatever herbs I have on hand (dry or fresh). Today it is a little bit of Old Bay and some fresh thyme. I then just spoon it over toast and serve. Today's side is tomato wedges.

I'm roasting a chicken and we'll have a tossed salad with it. I was also going to make pilaf but I have been feeling sick all day and we'll have to make do with some ciabatta and buttah. Ha, it kinda rhymes!

I took a Oven Stuffer Roaster out of the freezer today. I figure by the time it thaws out in the refrigerator I will be tired of this Pot Roast/Beef Stew I made yesterday. I am having that again to night.:chef:

Thanks! It all depends on what kind of ham I have. Today it is a 1/2" ham steak and I just cubed the meat fairly small and will now saute it with some onion and butter in a pot. When the onion is soft I will add some flour (roughly equal to the amount of butter) and stir until smooth. Then I add milk and some frozen peas or mixed veggies, cook it, stirring, until thickened. I season it with salt, pepper, and whatever herbs I have on hand (dry or fresh). Today it is a little bit of Old Bay and some fresh thyme. I then just spoon it over toast and serve. Today's side is tomato wedges.

Thanks. It had crossed my mind that I could do that, but didn't know if it would work. Now that I have your endorsement, I'll try it. I rarely have regular ham as I always have JennyO turkey ham on hand. I often grate that for ham salad, so I'll try it that way and adjust the seasonings to match the ham flavor.:chef:

Z, You can do this with mushrooms, turkey, anything really. The JennyO ham will do just fine and you will find that you will experiment with the flavours that work best as you go along. I ended up putting a couple of drops of Worcestershire sauce to bring out the ham as it was a little bland (these ham steaks really need to be browned are carmelized to bring out their flavour and that doesn't happen in a cream sauce!).

Oh, and I change up the "toast" too. Tonight was plain WW toast, but I have used biscuits, hamburger buns, even waffles.

We had "Friedas kasserolle" - bacon, chunks of pork loin, knackwurst cut into pieces, bacon and pork browned and seasoned with paprika, and then simmered in cream for about 45 minutes. We had it with brown basmati rice and rødkål (Danish red cabbage dish). This time I used 1 tsp of smoked sweet paprika and 1 tsp of regular sweet paprika. I couldn't taste any smokiness. Next time I will try with two teaspoons of the smoked paprika.

That is such a great, easy dish. We both ate too much. I meant to take pictures, but by the time it was ready I was too eager to eat to remember taking pix.

i am working out a new sandwich. am going to season and cook cube steak in my george forman. will put on a san franciso style rolls (big one) lettuce, tomato, cheese, and maybe some fried bacon if i have the time to cook it. i had everything out to make a pumpkin dump cake. my granddaughter was here for quite awhile vacuuming for me. so i didn't get it made, was chasing the 15 month old great granddaughter. tomorrow will do in a.m.

it is nice to have the house clean. made some cinnamon rolls in the a.m so maybe one for dessert. have ice cream treats if i want that instead.

ohhh I really like the sound of that, LP.......copied and pasted!!

We had oven barbecued pork ribs, mock KFC cole slaw, and garlic toast from split chabatta rolls.

Nice spreads, Dave and MsM

Z, You can do this with mushrooms, turkey, anything really. The JennyO ham will do just fine and you will find that you will experiment with the flavours that work best as you go along. I ended up putting a couple of drops of Worcestershire sauce to bring out the ham as it was a little bland (these ham steaks really need to be browned are carmelized to bring out their flavour and that doesn't happen in a cream sauce!).

Oh, and I change up the "toast" too. Tonight was plain WW toast, but I have used biscuits, hamburger buns, even waffles.

Or drop biscuits, cornbread, English muffin. Waffle sounds like a really good one.

I like to use soy sometimes, or :ohmy: *horrors*... cooking sherry!:ohmy:

We had breakfast for dinner :) biscuits and gravy with sausage patties ( with chopped onion) and eggs over easy. Comfort Food!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Chicken noodle soup with lots of garlic, onions, carrots, and white beans.

Looks awesome, Dave. But I don't get it....where's the chocolate?

:LOL:

Seriously that's a meal!

Thanks!

I thought chocolate in two meals this week would be a bit much so I didn't make a mole sauce. :angel:

Rocklobster said:
Classic bbq style recipe. I like it. They do add lots of mustard.:ohmy: I'd be tempted to put a bit of ground cloves in there, also.

It was pretty good, kids ate it so it can't be all bad!

Back
Top Bottom