v8 juice----pros and cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for healthy, just watch out for the regular V8, it is a sodium bomb. I only drink the lower-sodium version, and it tastes fine. Adding vodka probably isn't doctor recommended. ;)

CD

Just make a tomato vegetable smoothie and you'll get your roughage. Add an 1/2 of an apple for sweetness, a little bit of carrot, a red bell pepper, maybe a little green onion, some celery, salt to taste. A little hot sauce might be good.
Eat real food.

I think V8 is a healthy way to get some of your veg. Just remember what CD said about the salt. I think making your own mix with fresh veg would be even healthier.

I don't know where you got the idea that there isn't fibre (roughage) in V8. It's thick. They put whole veggies in and don't filter away the fibre. It is possible to make fruit juices and veggie juices that have had their fibre filtered out. Think of how thick V8 is compared with apple juice. That's because of the fibre in the V8.

BTW, what I wrote about the fibre content applies to the standard, spicy, low sodium, and organic versions of V8. Not necessarily to the other fruit and/or veggie beverages made under the V8 banner.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is fiber, although not nearly as much. I'm not a fan of V8 and when I make something similar I just make something refreshing using the veg I want, it's a little too acidic for my liking and if I'm want some acid I'll use fresh lime or lemon or maybe a sherry vinegar.

I think V8 is a healthy way to get some of your veg. Just remember what CD said about the salt. I think making your own mix with fresh veg would be even healthier.

I don't know where you got the idea that there isn't fibre (roughage) in V8. It's thick. They put whole veggies in and don't filter away the fibre. It is possible to make fruit juices and veggie juices that have had their fibre filtered out. Think of how thick V8 is compared with apple juice. That's because of the fibre in the V8.

BTW, what I wrote about the fibre content applies to the standard, spicy, low sodium, and organic versions of V8. Not necessarily to the other fruit and/or veggie beverages made under the V8 banner.

The Simply brand of juices makes an unfiltered apple juice that is wonderful. It is like drinking a glass of apple pie. I'm not sure of the healthy aspect of it, but I love the taste.

Like Larry said, real juices can't be any worse for you than sodas. Just avoid anything that says "Juice Cocktail." That's basically non-carbonated soda.

CD

Just make a tomato vegetable smoothie and you'll get your roughage. Add an 1/2 of an apple for sweetness, a little bit of carrot, a red bell pepper, maybe a little green onion, some celery, salt to taste. A little hot sauce might be good.
Eat real food.
Sounds worth trying

Back
Top Bottom