Vanilla Malts (ice cream)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
For years I have only bought Haagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream as I love the taste and mouth-feel. But considering how much it costs, and how much is needed for a malt, and the fact that I am mixing it with milk and flavoring with vanilla and malt powder, I am looking for a cheaper alternative.

I am not looking for the "fake" creamy brands that are loaded with emulsifiers, but rather something with a far more icier (ice milk like) texture. My recollection from many years ago is that Bryers may be a good choice.

Any other suggestions?

I haven't bought Bryer's for years. They switched the recipe here in Canada and it's not as good. I believe the original, "natural" one is still available in the US, but do check the ingredients. The one without added thickener tastes better.

Or, get an ice cream maker and make your own ice cream. You can make good vanilla ice cream without having to do the whole egg custard thing.

get an ice cream maker and make your own ice cream. You can make good vanilla ice cream without having to do the whole egg custard thing.

I have an ice cream maker (albeit a fairly small Krups one). Any suggestions for an icier (frosty) recipe?

Tillamook Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is a favorite of many, but is a little soft for your purposes. For a Frosty type texture, combine vanilla gelato with milk, cocoa powder, and malt. Gelato is actually a premium ice milk, with smaller ice crystals. it is very creamy, and fairly dense, making it ideal for thick malted milk shakes..

Another good option is to use gelato, milk, and Ovaltine, chocolate malt flavor.

Edy's vanilla bean ice cream ranks high for both flavor, and texture.

I don't know if it's available everywhere, but we also enjoyed Dean's ice cream.

These all rank up there with Hagen Daz.

My eldest daughter, and her hubby swear by Blue Bunny, in the tub. I like it well enough, but still prefer a good gelato.

Seeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom