Want to make Nut Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allex

Assistant Cook
I have a Ninja processor but it won't cut the nuts (almonds) past the fine chopped state. Any ideas how to get to the butter stage? Add something perhaps. Thanks.

For nut butter I would add a drizzle of neutral flavored cooking oil when it gets to the finely chopped stage and continue processing until smooth.

If you want an almond paste for baking I would start with blanched almonds and add an equal amount of powdered sugar. Continue processing until smooth then gradually add beaten egg white until a thick smooth paste forms. If you want a strong perfumey almond flavor add a few drops of almond extract.

Hm, I'll try that thanks. I use it in a flapjack recipe.

Do you have a meat grinder? I don't know for sure that would work, but I remember reading not to use one for chopped nuts, because it will squish them and makes the result oily. That sounds like nut butter to me.

Do you have a meat grinder? I don't know for sure that would work, but I remember reading not to use one for chopped nuts, because it will squish them and makes the result oily. That sounds like nut butter to me.
No, but I suspect that will just squeeze the oil out. Thanks for the idea.

That sounds fascinating Allex, would you mind sharing the recipe?

and btw, Welcome to DC!

Aunt Bea - you always make everything sound so simple! I love it. Some recipes for the most simple things end up sounding so complicated.

(another post written yesterday about 4pm LOL)

We generally have cut back on nut butters because for our health objectives they are too handy to have on hand!
Be patient with nut butters, it takes a longer time than I would expect.
Peanuts goes to peanut butter in my food processor and it takes a while to get there, no added oil.
Walnuts goes to a spreadable walnut butter but it has texture, again in the food processor w/o added oil I rarely use it but if I do it is for crackers because crackers won't get crisp without at least some nut butter (we don't use refined oils).

Almonds would be tougher to get into a butter like state. They seem to be more fibrous and less oily.

I make a salad dressing with sesame seeds (but tahini would work too). Soak the seeds in hot water, drain, then make the dressing in a blender, adding water or vinegar as a liquid. They pulverize and emulsify the dressing.

If using raw cashews, they also benefit from soaking to use in recipes.

I have a low cost food processor, large, Hamilton Beach. I also can use a metal cupped nut and coffee grinder for smaller amounts. I use an oster blender.

Back
Top Bottom