Waterlogged New Englanders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
It rained for 7 days straight and it's going to start again!:ohmy:

My roof sprang a leak and water seeped into my guest room ceiling:(

But part of GB's town had to be evacuated and I know it was also bad up where Andy is. Hope you guys are ok!

We're OK, Jen. The condo development is right in the Merrimack River and it's pretty high right now. However, it's controlled by dams upstream so I don't anticipate a problem.

SO's daughter in Florida keeps calling me with weather bulletins from Massachusetts. But the sun is shining today and we opened all our windows for a while to get some fresh air into the house. All is well with my local world right now.

GB's basement has water in it. Sorry about your roof leak. Hope the damage isn't too bad.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the rain stopped soon!!

Good luck you guys. Keep safe!

We got about 2 inches in my finished basement. We had a flood last year as well and spent about $1000 drying it out and having our carpet pad replaced and the carpet reinstalled. After this flood we decided we were done with the carpet. My dad came over today and helped me rip the whole thing out. We probably lost a love seat, some photos, and some other small things, but it could have been a lot worse. The ground is still saturated with water though so even though we got rid of the carpet and used our shop vac to suck up the standing water, more just keeps seeping back in. My wife put it all in perspective for me though. She said she starts to get depressed about it, but then thinks of all the people who were affected by Katrina and then realizes how lucky we really were.

Jenny, I hope there was minimal damage to your place!

I feel so bad for all of you with the excessive rain fall that you have had. My daughter just on the outskirts of New York City ( North Bergen New Jersey) said that they are declaring a state of emergency for that area. While we are praying for rain here in central Pa. They have us on water restriction in my city close to Pittsburg. But we are the lucky ones I guess. May all go well for each and every one of you. Thank goodness that this wasn't snow. But then I don't know which would be worse.

GB:

I'm sorry for your water problems. I've been there in the past and it really stinks. Does yoyr homeowner's insurance help with any of this?

No Andy, insurance is not covering it :mad:
I am waiting to hear if there will be any sort of aid available. I called MEMA and they do not know what is going to happen yet. Gov. Romney thinks we (the state) will qualify for federal funds as we will pass the required 6.5 million in damages that is the qualifier, but I think all that money goes to road and infrastructure repair as well as overtime for the workers. I don't think we would see any of that $.

The video from New Jersey does look really bad. But I agree with GB that we are lucky that it was just rain and not the destruction our friends in the Gulf states have had to deal with.

I'll have to rip out and replace my ceiling after I get my neighbor over to figure out what's up with the roof.

On a positive note, the grass seed I put down sure took thanks to the water!

Back
Top Bottom