We Finally Had To Bite the Bullet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I have been putting off getting hearing aids for some time now. SO has been super patient with me and with repeating herself whenever I responded to her with, "what?", folowed up with a, "Say that again."

SO's hearing is also deteriorating but isn't as bad as mine. Her family urged her to get HA too.

A few weeks ago we went to our ENT doctor for a check up and hearing tests. When the discussion of hearing aids came up, the first words out of the doctor's mouth were, "Go to Costco." She felt they offered a very good product that met our needs and the price was also excellent.

We had appointments with the Costco hearing aid center last Sunday and picked up our HAs today. They work great and the price is right. The technician at Costco was very helpful and patient. Set up our HAs and the associated phone app. Allowed us to practice.

The cool part is that, in addition to being able to hear properly, our HAs act as Air Pods/wireless ear buds. We can take and end phone calls directly through our HAs, listen to music from our iPhones, and hear TV sound in the HAs with a compatible streaming device. Our basic Roku Streaming Stick+ is not bluetooth compatible so I'll have to get another model. But that's not a big item.

Also, they are rechargeable so no batteries to deal with.

All in all, I think it worked out great.

In case you're interested: https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-hearing-aid.html

That's terrific, Andy. Congrats to you and SO. My grandmother refused to get hearing aids. We lived several hundred miles apart, so it wasn't a problem for me, but my mom and my aunt were very frustrated. Especially my aunt. She and my grandmother lived together for several years before grandma died and having to listen to the TV turned way up was difficult for her.

Neato Andy. Now you just have to learn how to use them. They sound nifty, but complicated. How comfortable are they to wear?

Neato Andy. Now you just have to learn how to use them. They sound nifty, but complicated. How comfortable are they to wear?

I pretty much don't notice them unless I grin. They hurt a little when I grin.

I have to get used to my HAs and help SO get used to hers. She's not really tech savvy.

Wow Andy you must be talking directly to me.
My hearing has been getting worse and worse these last few years. It does not help that my wife has the voice level of a small mouse.
But I have issues with others as well so I know its not her only. I have had trouble hearing her since we first married 28 years ago.

20-25 years ago at work they performed hearing tests and they found I had hearing loss that far back. My wife has been bugging me about getting a new test and to get HA's.
I went as far as taking the business card at the hearing center at Costco, but have not made the appointment.

Thanks Andy. Your post and the other responses may just be what I needed to get going. Mind if I ask how much they cost?

Edit: I just checked the link Andy and got the price.

Last edited:
...Thanks Andy. Your post and the other responses may just be what I needed to get going. Mind if I ask how much they cost?

Edit: I just checked the link Andy and got the price.

RB, you won't be disappointed. The HAs are a great price and the service is super. They come with a 3 year warranty and, if you have a Costco credit card (VISA) you get 2% can back and an additional 2 years of warranty.

They service your HA free, consumable parts are free. The hearing test is free. The HAs are customized to your hearing. You'll be pleased.

There is a phone app that enables you to control the HAs and make adjustments for different settings in different locations.

I pretty much don't notice them unless I grin. They hurt a little when I grin.

I have to get used to my HAs and help SO get used to hers. She's not really tech savvy.
Of course, this means you will grin constantly to see if they still hurt.

Kind of like why do you keep poking yourself in the eye. Because it hurts. Stop poking it, I can't. It hurts.. :grin:

Andy, I'm so glad to hear about your new HA's for both of you. They sound like top of the line, and you deserve no less. Souschef bit the bullet a few years ago and both of us are so happy he did.

He calls me Lassie, my hearing is so good, and it annoys him to no end. I'll get a look of alert on my face, and he asks "Lassie, what do you hear?" I tell him Timmy is in the well.
No kidding...congrats!

Andy, I'm so glad to hear about your new HA's for both of you. They sound like top of the line, and you deserve no less. Souschef bit the bullet a few years ago and both of us are so happy he did.

He calls me Lassie, my hearing is so good, and it annoys him to no end. I'll get a look of alert on my face, and he asks "Lassie, what do you hear?" I tell him Timmy is in the well.
No kidding...congrats!

LOL Kayelle. Great story.

Probably not long for me either ...

Im afraid of losing them, though. The super small kind, at least.

Costco will replace each HA once for free if lost or damaged.

Ours are "behind the ear" type. They are pretty small and cannot be seen readily. Impossible to see on a person with long hair. Mine are more visible.

Should be tested, I guess. We don't seem to miss much, yet.

That said, we are constantly saying, "huh?" when the other talks.
Not certain if that's hearing loss or a lack of paying attention. ;):ermm:

Ross

Should be tested, I guess. We don't seem to miss much, yet.

That said, we are constantly saying, "huh?" when the other talks.
Not certain if that's hearing loss or a lack of paying attention. ;):ermm:

Ross

I used that same argument. After we got the HAs, I found myself telling SO not to talk so loud. Also, our conversations are a lot shorter without all the repetitions. I'm fortunate that SO was so patient with me.

I think the best approach is to go to an ENT doctor and have your ears checked and get a hearing test. The doc will tell you where you stand.

Last edited:
I used that same argument. After we got the HAs, I found myself telling SO not to talk so loud. Also, our conversations are a lot shorter without all the repetitions. I'm fortunate that SO was so patient with me.

I think the best approach is to go to an ENT doctor and have your ears checked and get a hearing test. The doc will tell you where you stand.

Absolutely good advice. Thank you, Andy.

Ross

I'm getting as bad as SC, with everything reminding me of a joke. :rolleyes:

This dude thinks his wife is going deaf so he decides to test her.

He comes in the front door, and says "honey, what's for dinner?" No response, so he goes to another room and asks again "what's for dinner?" Still no response, so he finds her in the back room and asks "what's for dinner honey?"

She yells, I HAVE TOLD YOU THREE TIMES, IT'S CHICKEN....:wacko::ermm:

Last edited:
Andy, now you guys are going to have to be careful about what you utter under your breaths! When it comes to Himself, I keep wondering whether he actually is having a hard time understanding what I'm saying or if he's just ignoring me.

...He calls me Lassie, my hearing is so good, and it annoys him to no end. I'll get a look of alert on my face, and he asks "Lassie, what do you hear?" I tell him Timmy is in the well...
Lassie's a lot cuter than my nickname - Bat Ears. Lol!

I probably have to soon, but I don't like anything sticking on the hole, I find it extremely uncomfortable.

There is also no way i can take a hearing test online, My PC feeds my stereo and the speakers are tailored to my ears. That would wreck everything.

T

I found out last summer that there is a device, called a TV connector, that will deliver TV sound directly to you hearing aids via bluetooth.

They have not been available because of the world wide chip shortage. Every trip we make to Costco, I stop at the hearing aid center and ask about TV connector availability. Finally, last week I found they had become available the day before so I ordered one immediately.

I picked it up earlier today and installed it. WOW! What a difference. The sound is top quality. Better than the TV speakers and the sound bar I bought last summer. I'm excited.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom