Wedding Reception help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelly79

Assistant Cook
My son is getting married May 17th. We are all helping with the food - its a family affair. He loves my herbed buttered red skinned potatoes and wants me to make these for the reception. OK - now what"? They are expecting around 150 or so. Any ideas? I hate to think of making them ahead and them getting wrinkley and dry - blah. Or me trying to make them right before serving time in my dress?? Any help would be appreciated.

Bake the potatoes especially for the maried couple, along with something over-the-top just for them. Have it prepared ahead of time, to be baked, and get a freind to cook them jsut before the reception, along with the rest of the meal. For everyone else, give them something like riced potatoes, or mashed potatoes. Serve up something cheap, but tasty, like roasted or smoked turkey, pre-sliced and staying warm in a chafing dish half filled with broth.

Serve fresh salad instead of cooked veggies to avoid them being overcooked by the warming trays/chafing dishes.

Or, give everyone else home prepared sunch meats, such as roasted turkey, ham, sirloin tri-tip (sliced very thin against the grain), and bread with condiments and salad fixings so that everyone can make their own sadwhiches, leaving you and your imediate family to enjoy the reception.

Remember, this isn't about feeding bunches of people expensive, free-to-them dinners, but rather, it's a special day for the married couple, who should be given the best, and definitely something better than everyone else gets.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I know they can be baked ahead of time, held until the next day, then heated through. Who's our catering experts? Just a question, how are you going to cook and hold this amount of potatoes?

Could you just bake them a little on the al dente side, then let the warming the next day cook them the rest of the way?

Thanks for your thought mrochester95. the wedding was in May - the reception number exploded to 200 and we settled on really good Escalloped potatoes! Some how we figured all the food right and did not have anything leftover but cake!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom