Wednesday Dinner - 7/25/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Two new things tonight - 1) pork carnitas and 2) first time using the new Instant Pot.

I've never had pork carnitas (hey, this is Northern New England), so I can only rely on what I read. I followed this recipe, along with the pico de gallo recipe cited:

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-carnitas/

Came out pretty good, and I have leftover pork for at least another dinner.

Cherry nanaimo bars without coconut and spaghetti sauce w/meat and spaghetti noodles for the guys.

Cheesey zucchini and green bean casserole for me.

Shrimp p'o boy...

39817-albums960-picture7509.jpg
[/IMG]

I love carnitas too, Tenspeed. I'm glad you were happy with it. If you happen to have a vacuum sealer and have the time to make a lot, carnitas can be portioned out into meal sized bags, and they freeze very well. :yum:

Last edited:
Some kind of Spanish Jambalaya..with a spinach salad.

Attachments

• 37809862_10155522346252401_6437925702032424960_n.jpg
    37809862_10155522346252401_6437925702032424960_n.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 37779878_10155522345862401_5264110573099941888_n.jpg
    37779878_10155522345862401_5264110573099941888_n.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 114
Two new things tonight - 1) pork carnitas and 2) first time using the new Instant Pot.

I've never had pork carnitas (hey, this is Northern New England), so I can only rely on what I read. I followed this recipe, along with the pico de gallo recipe cited:

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-carnitas/

Came out pretty good, and I have leftover pork for at least another dinner.

Sounds good. I love carnitas.

Authentic carnitas are cooked in Manteca (Lard), but, I have braised them in chicken stock in a cast iron Dutch oven, and then put them under the broiler in a sheet pan to brown, and they are pretty close.

They are a lot like Southern pulled pork, or Cuban roast pork. I've had the authentic Manteca cooked carnitas, and there is a difference, but not a significant difference, IMO.

BTW, you don't have to call them pork carnitas. That is redundant. Carnitas are always pork -- shoulder/butt. :LOL:

CD

I had to clean out the fridge of furry things, after being out of town for so long. I re-stocked this afternoon.

My first home-cooked meal in weeks was not very ambitious. I'm worn out. I fired up the gasser and tossed a burger on the grill. I didn't have any bacon, so I experimented, and grilled some Italian hard salami to put on the burger, along with some deli white American cheese, and put it on a toasted roll. Kettle brand salt and cracked pepper chips on the side. Fresh strawberries and cantaloupe for desert.

The salami was great, but you have to move fast, because the fat content will make it catch on fire on a grill if you don't.

No pictures. I've shot at least a thousand photos in the last two weeks, so I don't want to even touch a camera for at least a few days.

CD

...I fired up the gasser and tossed a burger on the grill. I didn't have any bacon, so I experimented, and grilled some Italian hard salami to put on the burger, along with some deli white American cheese, and put it on a toasted roll...
OMG, you almost had a Mr. Hero Roman Burger! :yum: Mr. Hero is a northeast Ohio sub shop. Been around since I was young. We never remember to stop at one when we're back home though, since I'm mostly cooking for my two kids. :LOL:

We had must-goes (last of the corned beef, BBQ pork), so we emptied the containers and scarfed them up - along with nice, time-consuming garden salads. :LOL: I can now see the back of the fridge, so you know what that means: I have to go grocery shopping.

Did breakfast for dinner...

Linquisa, green onion and cheese scrambled eggs.. Biscuits and pomegranate jam my SIL's mom made last week..

Ross..

BTW, you don't have to call them pork carnitas. That is redundant. Carnitas are always pork -- shoulder/butt.
Kind of like shrimp scampi or La Brea tar pits? :)

I don't worry too much about being authentic. Between lack of availability of some ingredients, not being willing to put in as much time as required, and trying to be somewhat health conscious, what I make is better defined by "influenced" rather than authentic.

Well, we couldn't find the pulled pork (we have 3 freezers that are pretty much stuffed and we are trying to clean out some) we were going to use in a dish, so had to change plans and made a simple rice dish with ground beef, chili powder, cumin, mixed frozen veges, onion, garlic, and canned tomatoes. Not very pretty but tasty.

Like Casey - been a road warrior this year. In Columbus again. Went down town Tuesday to Condado Taco. Very good! Last night at the Residence Inn mix they cooked the most amazing Brussel sprouts. The chef said he marinated them in a red wine reduction tossed them with honey and deep fried them. OH MY were they good.

OMG, you almost had a Mr. Hero Roman Burger! :yum: Mr. Hero is a northeast Ohio sub shop. Been around since I was young. We never remember to stop at one when we're back home though, since I'm mostly cooking for my two kids. :LOL:

We had must-goes (last of the corned beef, BBQ pork), so we emptied the containers and scarfed them up - along with nice, time-consuming garden salads. :LOL: I can now see the back of the fridge, so you know what that means: I have to go grocery shopping.

LOL. That is along the same lines as my burger. Those other ingredients would have been great. The hard salami needed something to compliment it, so if I ever do it again, I'll have to remember to use the Mr. Hero recipe.

CD

I don't worry too much about being authentic. Between lack of availability of some ingredients, not being willing to put in as much time as required, and trying to be somewhat health conscious, what I make is better defined by "influenced" rather than authentic.

I'm with you all the way. Some things are just too much of a PITA to do "authentically," if you can get pretty much the same results in another way.

CD

Back
Top Bottom