Wednesday, June 21, 2023 - Take out or stay in dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Homemade, except for bread. Clockwise from top, Cuban bread, black beans and rice, picadillo, and maduros (fried ripe plantains).
20230621_190747.jpg

In order of ingesting: small bowl coleslaw, corn on t cob microsteamed, baked Haddock.

Can't remember where I read this and it was just in the last week or two, argh! But have a new way to micro the corn!
I use scissors to trim a bit of the top off, not all, just tidy it up. I also trim the straggly leaves.
Open the top just enough to see the top of the corn and run it under water a bit, then soak in a tub of water, at least 5/10 minutes or until needed. Remove and hold upside down to drain excess water.
Place unhusked corn in microwave - Times vary with corn and micro - but generally somewhere around 5 minutes. On high.
With a large sharp knife, cut off a good chunk of the stem end of the corn, you need to get the base of the corn with a row or maybe two of the kernels.
Grab and squeeze the top end of the corn's husk (Hot! use a towel!) and out she slides
- no silk, no wrenching off of husks,
- just a beautiful piece of Corn on the Cob!

I have only done 2 or 3 max in the micro but I don't see why it would not work if wrapped in foil on the grill. Or even boiling in a pot, but then I would tie the tips - but would that not just negate the ease of prep?

I roasted two white wine and shallot sausages and a couple of chicken breasts. We ate the two sausages and one chicken breast. There were fingerling potatoes and we also reheated some rødkål (Danish red cabbage). I would have taken pictures, but we were ready to sit down when I noticed that I had left my phone upstairs, so no pictures.

How do you make your onion fans and zucchini coins in the oven?
It seems to be different every time.

I preheated the oven to 400f and sprayed a baking sheet with cooking spray.

I cut the zucchini into 1/3” thick slices. I cut the onion into sections leaving the root end intact and flattened them with my thumb to fan out the ‘petals’.

I took a page from @blissful and made a thin batter, the consistency of heavy cream, using flour, salt, baking powder and water.

I dipped each piece into the batter and then into seasoned cracker crumbs.

I baked them for 15 minutes and flipped them, returned to the oven for another 10 minutes and transferred them to a cooling rack.

You could use an egg wash and breadcrumbs but I didn’t happen to have either on hand.

I want to experiment with cauliflower, fresh green beans, mushrooms, etc…

I used Sweet Baby Ray’s sugar free bbq sauce as a dipping sauce.

It was a good little experiment that satisfied my craving for something resembling greasy fried junk food. 😉

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom