Wednesday's dinner....12-27-17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm late to the dinner thread - just catching up on yesterday's.

Ham, ham, and more ham. Good thing I love it. :LOL: This evening's dinner was a ham, mushroom, and asparagus omelet. I've set aside a few nice slices for a couple more sandwiches over the next day or two. The rest will be portioned out for vacuum sealing tomorrow morning, to live in the freezer.

What was (or will be) on your plate this evening? :chef:

I pulled some leftover gumbo out of the freezer. A hearty soup for a cold night.

I will be "de-gassing" some Great Northern beans tonight for the ham and bean soup I plan to make tomorrow with the ham bone and meat leftover from xmas day.

My "de-gassing" method is to put one part beans in five parts water, bring it to a boil for three minutes, then let the beans soak in that water overnight. Tomorrow, I'll drain them, rinse them, and they'll be ready to cook in my soup.

CD

Christmas dinner leftovers tonight... although I have to admit it was pretty good for leftovers. :yum:

OlOD1Cu.jpg

The three of us had a great day out at Bearizona Wildlife Park.

IMG_3579.JPG

We had Linner again at this great place that DH and I have been to many times,
the Red Raven in Williams Arizona.
Love this place!
I had the Turkey Burger with Sweet Potato Fries, DH had the Chicken Breast Club Sandwich with a side salad and Mom had the Fish and Chips made with Mahi in a tempura batter, served with wonderful Potato Wedges and Cole Slaw.
SO, dinner again tonight is whatever anyone can find in the `fridge if they get peckish later on (I've already had some TJ's Pita Crackers topped with Alouette Spinach & Artichoke cheese and a glass of wine ;))

I made a quick Chicken 'N Dumplings tonight in my covered Wok. The surface area is great for uncrowded dumplings.
Since the Bisquick fluffy dumplings take a total of 20 min to cook, I bring the raw chicken chunks/veggies to a hard simmer (I use a heat diffuser) in the prepared rich gravy (gussied up can cream soup) for only 5 min. and add the dumplings on top. You know the drill..10min. with the lid on, and 10 min. with the lid off. The dumplings are perfectly cooked after 20 min. and the chicken chunks and veggies aren't overcooked after 25 minutes.
We topped our bowls with TJ's French fried onions...oh yeah..

Last edited:
Pan fried bass filets in butter a friend gave me to grill last summer. No time like the present, eh. Lemon, sautéed zukes, more lemon butter. Beet pickles.

Went to dinner at my sister’s to meet a visiting relative and her kids from Florida. We had baked ham, pilaf, glazed carrots and leftover desserts.

PF had mentioned in the "What Are You Doing?" thread that they were going out for Chinese...so we had take out Chinese! An assortment of egg roll, spring roll, chicken skewers, pork fried rice, moo goo gai pan, and beef and snow peas. All very good. It was fun watching the cooks sear the food in the woks over the crazy flames!

It seems like "Number 1 Kitchen" is a chain with most of their locations in northeast Ohio. However, there are locations as far east as Long Island, as far south as Hampton, VA, and as far west as Tulsa, OK. From the chatter in the place while I was waiting for our food, it seems like all of the locations turn out a very tasty product.

Last night I made scalloped potatoes with some fresh fennel, roasted Brussels sprouts and a pan seared and roasted piece of beef tenderloin.

I picked up a pack containing butternut squash and zucchini "noodles" at Costco on my last shopping spree before Christmas and had to use them up by yesterday. I got two packages of prawns when I got them for Christmas Eve's Scampi (two were cheaper than one at the regular price).

There was a recipe on the noodle package for prawns on noodles with lemon juice, garlic, shallots, butter, parmesan, and pesto. I decided to try it and it was fabulous! We thoroughly enjoyed it and the "noodles" were a really nice fresh change.

If I can still get them it will be great because I don't have to make them, but if not, I can pull out my spiralizer and make my own! I would like to experiment with sauces, proteins, etc.

We didn't have anything with it. It was a meal in itself!

Oh, yeah, I didn't have any pesto and I have killed all my basil plants so I remembered back to culinary school and made spinach pesto. It was fine for this dish!

Strange dinner last night.

Mini Yorkshire pudding

mini_yorkshire_pudding_122717_1_IMG_3583.JPG

Beef soup - Start with Christmas leftovers - cubed eye round roast, chopped steamed baby spinach, burgundy gravy.
Added celery, potato, carrot, onion, canned kidney beans, button mushrooms quartered, 2 oz. each - dry navy beans, green split peas, lentils and uncooked barley plus 2 (32 oz.) Collage Inn Bold beef broth. Everything added to Instant Pot to cook for 35 minutes. Everything in the soup was nice and tender in only 35 minutes even the dry unsoaked navy beans.

Placed a mini Yorkshire pudding in bowl and ladled beef soup around it.

beef_barley_soup_122717_IMG_3588.jpg

Dessert was Apple pie (raisins and walnuts added to apples and spices. Bottom and top crust egg washed, top crust then sprinkled with turbinado sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg).

apple_pie_122617_IMG_3581.jpg

Last edited:
I made some beef curry using some leftover NY roast from the other night. Instead of rice I poured this curry over some udon. It was a not-so-conventional variation of the traditional udon curry.

Last edited:
We nibbled. I had tortilla chips and dip made with homemade refried beans and jarred salsa. DH made nachos with those ingredients plus cheese and pickled red onions.

Came home with left over mashed potatoes from Mom’s Christmas dinner. I mixed it with a can of cream of mushroom soup and half a litre or so of veg broth in a bowl.

In a casserole dish with a lid I put in a meaty beef soup bone and chopped up a red onion and 3 cloves of garlic,thyme,rosemary,etc. Roasted all that down until the roast looked good then added a big carrot chopped up and maybe a cup of the veggie broth turned it down and let that all melt together for an hour or so.
Once the beef was falling off the bone I chopped it up with a wooden spoon and added my bowl of potatoes mix. A touch more broth to make it thinner and back in the oven at 250-300. Once it was hot I stirred it up a couple times and served.
Awesome way to spend a day with gentle roasting, it’ll make us 3-4 meals likely. I found a touch of salt and pepper in your bowl tops it off nicely.
I like this method it skips all the potatoe prep for me. Also I could have used turkey or chicken base etc but I felt like a good beef and potato dish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom