Weinies - can them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe I've seen Cocktail Weenies in jars, albeit they are commercially processed but I would guess so. Obviously IF you have the proper equipment.

Thanks everyone! I was just thinking that they might be nice to have around in an emergency situation. ?

Amazon has a selection: "canned hot dogs"

canning meats requires a pressure cooker and a proven recipe for times, etc.
it's a bit more involved that high acid vegetables.

DcSaute, I do have a pressure canner and have been canning beef roasts and chicken. I definitely only want to follow proper canning procedures. Not interested in getting anyone sick, just thought I might like to have some Oscar Meyer wienies on hand for some chili dogs, if that was a possibility. Thanks!

Last edited:
If by safe you mean usda or university extension offices or nchfp resources....
they don't have methods for wieners or hot dogs.
It might be because sometimes they are cured, cured meat is generally not canned. It might be because of additives or milk products, milk products are not safe for canning. It might be because of density issues with enough heat penetrating to the middle of the can.

They do allow sausage if loose and ground, or cut and fresh seasoned (not cured). The casing may prove to be a problem with hotdogs.

If you are looking for resources for rogue canners, survivalists, pinterest, there's lots of resources on the net for that.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom