Well my home town of Duluth is a disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
Keep in mind, this is not a flood prone area. Lived there for 26 years and have never seen anything remotely close to this. This is high ground, and I'm sure next to no one has flood insurance.

image-4173332725.jpg

image-67744186.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the dam they are afraid is going to collapse. If it does my sister's house will most likely be gone (she is still high and dry right now though)

image-3501784290.jpg

11 animals escaped from the zoo due to the high water, including this seal found down the road, and a polar bear which was recovered inside the zoo

image-3919399154.jpg

Oh and I should have mentioned- the knee deep stream from one of the above photos has vertical banks that are about 7ft tall, so that water is probably at least ten feet deep. Insane.

image-434245002.jpg

This is just so sad... It's going to take so much to rebuild all of this. Duluth's economy is already struggling.

Skittle68 said:
This is just so sad... It's going to take so much to rebuild all of this. Duluth's economy is already struggling.

Sad indeed. Thanks for the great pics, Skittle. They tell the story well.

I've driven through Duluth many, many times. I always have hated the climb up when one comes across from Superior. Has Superior experienced the same devastating destruction? So very sad.

CWS4322 said:
I've driven through Duluth many, many times. I always have hated the climb up when one comes across from Superior. Has Superior experienced the same devastating destruction? So very sad.

Superior had flooding too. I don't think it was quite the extent that Duluth had though. A lot of the water was coming down from up north, which is why Duluth got it so bad. All the rivers were overflowing and the water had to make its own new paths. luckily only one person died. A child was sucked into the sewer system.

Skittle68 said:
Superior had flooding too. I don't think it was quite the extent that Duluth had though. A lot of the water was coming down from up north, which is why Duluth got it so bad. All the rivers were overflowing and the water had to make its own new paths. luckily only one person died. A child was sucked into the sewer system.

Scratch that- the kid was sucked into a sink hole, went through 6 blocks in the sewer before he was rescued and taken to the hospital. Don't know the extent of his injuries, I just assumed getting sucked through the sewer when it's raging so hard man hole covers are being blown off would kill a person. Hope the kid survives and has a good story to tell.

Skittle, thanks so much for this pictorial and I am so sad for your family and everyone in Duluth. I was there many years ago and loved it. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone. Please keep us posted.

Hoot said:
You folks be careful up there. There is a lot of bad stuff in floodwaters.

Yeah seeing the people wading around, canoeing, and jet skiing in the water makes me cringe. Don't they know that water is toxic and polluted??? Not to mention the potential for sink holes, and roads being washed away underfoot. Funny side note- my sister is smack dab in the middle of an area that was almost completely evacuated, but her house is up the hill so it didn't get wet. The fire department came to her house in an air boat and told them it was ok for them to stay because they still had power and it didn't look like the water was going to get that high. The water on her street is still waist deep, so today she packed up her kids and an overnight bag in the the canoe and paddled a mile down the road where my mom could pick her up. She has to go to work tomorrow, after all! Lol. When her husband came home from work the night it flooded he had to park a couple miles away and wade through waist deep water to get home. He really should have just found somewhere else to stay, but I'm sure he wanted to make sure Rachel and the kids were ok too

Back
Top Bottom