What about 'monosodium glutimate'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't keep it on hand. I've never suffered from MSG poisoning or addiction. I've also never suffered from oregano poisoning or addiction, though I keep oregano on hand.

Sodium glutamate is a very dangerous additive that causes a lot of side effects. I have nothing to do with it at all.
I think you are way off on this. MSG is proven to be perfectly safe used appropriately. Your characterization of MSG as a very dangerous additive is irresponsible and can create unwarranted anxiety.

Here's a recipe on the net with msg. It uses 1 T msg, that's 24 grams.
4 servings, is 6 grams of msg/serving
Is that a problem? Yes, because 6 grams is a LOT of msg. Enough to cause health effects.
No one is saying how much an appropriate amount per serving.
Like I said, I don't keep it on hand. If you do, then discussing the appropriate amount would help people.

Is that a problem? Yes, because 6 grams is a LOT of msg. Enough to cause health effects.
Like I said, I don't keep it on hand. If you do, then discussing the appropriate amount would help people.
Not sure where you get your information but this is not correct.

MSG is identical to glutamine acid and the body makes no distinction whatsoever which is found in our food supply and on average we consume about 13g's a day from those foods while MSG represents about 0.50 g's in the average diet.

Also glutamine acid is an amino acid that serves as a building block for proteins and plays a critical role in brain function. Glutamic acid turns into glutamate in the body, which is a key neurotransmitter that helps nerve cells in the brain send and receive information and it's also involved with memory, learning, immune and nervous systems and promotes better sleep. It's an amino acid used by every living beings for the biosynthesis of proteins and not some boogeyman. :)

A Tablespoon of MSG would make me nauseous.

I use literally a pinch. Like 1/8-1/16 of a teaspoon. That’s all you need to up the umami in food without the icky MSG taste.

This is MSG. Most supermarkets will have it. If not, Amazon does.

Photo - 1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom