What are the pros and cons of induction stove compared to gas stoves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on what you are looking for. As much as I love my gas range, once it gets warm enough out to turn on my AC, I get out my single induction burner, and use that almost exclusively, as there is little wasted heat that goes into the kitchen (come fall, I put it away, and go back to using the range again). And it is FAST - it boils a near gallon of water I do every day for iced tea slightly faster than my 20k btu gas burners, unless turned up with a lot of wasted flame around the sides! A lot of older pans (and some newer ones, as well) don't work on Induction, as you know, I'm sure. Some of my favorite pans - the heavy Calphalon pans - being aluminum, didn't work, but some cooking friends of mine got those, and I replaced most of them, though I didn't get rid of my copper pans! Still, one thing simply will not cook the same on Induction, or other electric, and that is a wok. I use them occasionally on the induction, but not for high heat stir fry. A cast iron wok will work, for some things, and despite the small area of contact for the heat, the heat spreads into more, if you let it heat up slower, before putting in some oil, then food. Takes some getting used to, but the induction heat in most pans does react quickly, even faster than with gas, and much faster than other electric. People with entire induction ranges or stovetops will chime in with their experiences, but this is what I can tell you.

Depends on what you are looking for. As much as I love my gas range, once it gets warm enough out to turn on my AC, I get out my single induction burner, and use that almost exclusively, as there is little wasted heat that goes into the kitchen (come fall, I put it away, and go back to using the range again). And it is FAST - it boils a near gallon of water I do every day for iced tea slightly faster than my 20k btu gas burners, unless turned up with a lot of wasted flame around the sides! A lot of older pans (and some newer ones, as well) don't work on Induction, as you know, I'm sure. Some of my favorite pans - the heavy Calphalon pans - being aluminum, didn't work, but some cooking friends of mine got those, and I replaced most of them, though I didn't get rid of my copper pans! Still, one thing simply will not cook the same on Induction, or other electric, and that is a wok. I use them occasionally on the induction, but not for high heat stir fry. A cast iron wok will work, for some things, and despite the small area of contact for the heat, the heat spreads into more, if you let it heat up slower, before putting in some oil, then food. Takes some getting used to, but the induction heat in most pans does react quickly, even faster than with gas, and much faster than other electric. People with entire induction ranges or stovetops will chime in with their experiences, but this is what I can tell you.
tnx. i will add some of your ideas to my hebrew post about induction. my list is very long already btw..

The only con I can think of is that some pans, my T-Fal and my one-egg frying pans for instance, won't work on it wothout an adapter/diffuser, which I keep forgeting to order.

Pros: They reach temperature faster, they heat the contents of your pan faster, the heat is more accurately adiustable, they don't heat up your kitchen, they are instant off, you can't burn your appendages on them, the burner won't set your kitchen towel on fire, and they won't asphyxiate you when you're not looking.

Last edited:
Well, I certainly do not agree with that "adjustable" heat. At least mine does not. The temps available have no "in-between" temps which, for me being used to my gas flame, is extremely difficult to get used to.
Temps start at - 140 then jump 55 degrees to 195, then 250, 300, 355, 400, 430, 465. At the 465 it is instant burn. Not going to try it but think a piece of paper napkin to fall on that heat it just might flame. Nothing is immune.
I fluctuate between 195 and 400 constantly - up and down, up and down.
I did order those plates for my non-steel pans, they work great.
Be sure to go ahead and order them, get the size(s) that fit your pans. In the end I got 3, :ermm: but I'm not sorry. :)

Also be aware that maybe the burner itself is not hot shortly after using but it is hot and you can still burn yourself on the pan! Those steel plates also retain the heat.

Ginny was talking about her stove and it sounds like it has more infinite adjustable heat. Perhaps a full stove top would be different from my single element. I have found it frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom